Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    • 6,479Posts
    • 89,665Thanks
    redruby
    Sunday 11th June
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    Sunday 11th June 11th Jun 17 at 6:58 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning all

Looks a bit overcast and dreary here today its meant to be cloudy all day, Im off to work and I kind of hope it does stay like this as it will be quieter at work, I don't think I can face a busy day as I am shattered, roll on 4.30 today !

OH has got some mince out of the freezer and I think it going to do a chilli for dinner, Its bed change day too so I hope he strips the bed and washes it. House is ok as OH and dd did most of it yesterday.

Thanks for the good wishes re dd, she is going to wait to see what the garage say on Tuesday re her car and then start looking for a more reliable / newer one, she is back on the train for work for the time being.

Right I had better shift myself and get ready for work.

Have good days all xx
    Last edited by redruby; 11-06-2017 at 7:08 AM.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jun 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:05 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:05 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off redruby

I woke up about 5.00am and haven’t been able to get back to sleep so decided to get up. I think I will need a nana nap this afternoon.

Yesterday was such a lovely day that it really cheered me up. A neighbour decided to have an impromptu drinks party in the late afternoon/early evening and I really enjoyed that. It was nice to have a chat with everyone. I hardly see the neighbours in the winter months. I think everyone tends to stay at home in the warm. I know that I don’t feel like going out much.

Today will mostly be doing the housework. I have got the bedding in the wm and hopefully that will dry quickly on the line so that I can get that back on. The bathroom needs a bit of a spring clean so I will make that today’s major task.

It’s interesting that so many of us seem to be having worse hay fever symptoms this year. I know the pollen count was very high where I live yesterday but it started fairly early in the season.

Having let my tea go cold again, I’m going to go and make another one.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 37,768 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread RR

I seem to have come down with a stinking cold as well as hay fever, I have a sore throat, temperature and a tight chest, thankfully the work on the house is done. Yesterday I cleaned the boat from bow to stern so it's looking better.

I bought the fabric to make the curtains and hatch quilts yesterday, I'll start making them as soon as I feel better.

It's sunny here today so CHS will carry on with painting the outside of the boat, I have a feeling he will run out of steam before the inside gets done, in which case I will do in myself over the summer holidays.

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 5,903 Posts
    • 34,897 Thanks
    Gers
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    Morning all

I too woke early'ish and am just lying in bed surfing the newspapers. The weather is still not very nice and not inviting me to go out.

Yesterday I discovered a fatal flaw in the tub of sweet peas my neighbour planted for me - no drainage in the huge pot. The rain water couldn't get away and I had to tip the pot over to get rid of the pool. I doubt the plants will survive as it's been raining again overnight and is still on the go.

On the upside I found that the dill seeds I planted in a small pot and put on my window ledge are sprouting. . This is for my DM who really likes the herb but struggles to find it in the shops. I'll be carefully nurturing them.

No-plan Sunday here. I hope that everyone has a quiet, peaceful and happy one.

I'm off for tea. HHarvey - do you heat up your cold tea in the microwave? I do.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    Good morning
    Special thank you to Mrs LW for PM.

Had an early night and woke feeling better plus the sun is shinning.

Think my problem was a bad night and just had so many thoughts racing around my head. I know I can't change things and what will be will be.

Plan for today, pick/eat strawberries

Have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 11th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 3,666 Posts
    • 22,254 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    Morning folks and thanks REDRUBY for starting the thread.

It's middle DGDs 1st Communion today so not much planned in the way of jobs. We need to be at church by 12.00 and DD has a big party planned for afterwards. I don't know where this love of entertaining comes from (certainly not us!) but every occasion has to be celebrated in style. Today is no exception, a buffet booked at a local pub afterwards, all and sundry invited, with a bouncy castle in the garden for the kids. (Just hope it keeps fine and secretly I'll be glad when it's over as I can't do with noisy get-togethers these days. I'm getting a miserable old toad in my old age!)

Have a good day all and (HUGS) for all the poorlies, sad or worried who want one. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Jun 17, 7:41 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:41 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:41 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Sunny and windy here today - what a change from yesterday, though by early evening it had brightened up considerably..
    I didn't go out at all yesterday, so had a no spend day. I defrosted the freezer at last, tidied a couple of cupboards, and cleared a little pile of ironing. I tend to leave ironing thinking Oh there's only a couple of things, and before I know it the pile is taller than me, so I'm trying to break that cycle!!
    This morning I'm visiting a friend, as for the rest of the day - who knows. The garden could do with a tidy, and there are a few other little jobs that I might do, if nothing better presents itself.
    Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 41,198 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    Morning All

The weather yesterday changed from wet and miserable to sunny and very windy - all the washing was dried outside in no time. Not very promising today but the bedding can go out for a blow.

Very pleased with the pictures I picked up from the framers - one up already and the smaller one will be put away for DD for Christmas (they are of the same thing).

Weeded the veggie garden in the rain, didn't take very long at all, I should have waited until the sun came out! The peas have flowers on but they may blow away in this wind!

Not sure what today holds, may do some sewing as I caught up with all the TV programmes I like to watch yesterday.

Salmon for tea, must go and do some shopping for veggies.

Hope you feel better soon HH.
    Enjoy the communion TA.

Have a good Sunday. Take care. XX
    • elona
    • By elona 11th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 11,245 Posts
    • 59,888 Thanks
    elona
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    Waiting to hear sounds of dds and son in law waking up before I get dressed and offer breakfast.

They are going out later to arrange for youngest's first car to be bought and delivered so very excited. I cream crackered my knees
    by all the going up and down stairs and changing beds, clearing up packaging etc yesterday. Managed a trip with youngest to shop for an interview outfit on Monday so fingers crossed for her.

It was real treat for my older dd to do the cooking last night - a lovely mushroom rissotta but I am cooking for seven of us for lunch today so defrosted a lot of lean mince for lasagne which we can have with salad and actifry chips.

Need to pop out for lasagne sheets, salad and a dessert later. Once the house is empty I want to clear out my bedroom which has become a dumping ground while work was being done.

Hester

That material is lovely.

Have a good day and hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 19,730 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Sunny and breezy here in EA as well.
    My DOH was up early and out this morning as he is having a couple of days away at the cricket, he likes to stay over on the Sunday as the hotels tend to be much cheaper. His room has a microwave in it so that, along with a cool bag, means he can take food with him and saves on buying more. I did braise a small piece of beef yesterday so a lot of that has gone with him. I also had a good clear out of the fridge and found some xmas mincemeat so made some mm buns as well.
    A quiet couple of days for me then have a trilogy book wise that have been itching to start and also can catch up on my programmes. No worrying about meals as I can happily live on salads and omelettes etc.
    I may well take a drive over to DM's village as the FD has promised that the memorial will be taken away for her name and details to be added, goodness knows why it takes so long for these things but apparently does.
    Get well wishes to all poorlies especially HH
    Have a good day folks x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 12,106 Posts
    • 34,907 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

HH thats rotten hope you feel better soon have a good sunday chill
    TA Hope you can sneak away early

Well despite the rain yesterday the bouncy castle party went ahead so it was pretty noisy here but tolerable... they are good kids and dont normally make much noise so I am lucky. Went round for a prosecco and a hot dog lol which was very nice.

Today is just chill and cleaning. Dressed in pjs and dressing gown so there is no way I am going anyway Ordered a load of tin foil containers (like the takeaway ones) yesterday which will arrive today. Be a lot easier to just do mums food portions like that Decided on Shepards pie (thanks nannywindow) and tuna fishcakes.

Bro called yesterday and the one job he had agreed to do (selling dads car) he has now decided he is too busy to do so guess where that job has landed

Food today will be rest of the pizza from last night with coleslaw and some spicy onions (I know strange combination but thats cooking for one for you ) This pizza will now have lasted me for 4 meals ...and yes I am a bit sick of it and would rather have a lovely chicken roast dinner but Ill stick with the pizza.

Hope you all have a lovely day
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning all

I'm off for tea. HHarvey - do you heat up your cold tea in the microwave? I do.
    Originally posted by Gers

Yes I do. I'm terrible first thing in the morning because I love to catch up on my emails and surf the forums on here and get wrapped up in that, forgetting about my tea
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 11th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 25,857 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Morning all, happy Sunday,
    Thanks for the thread redruby x

I had every intention of posting yesterday but the day ran away with me. Dropped DD off at a friend's house then did the Aldi shop and picked up DH's shirts from the ironing shop (I do all the other ironing but his shirts are really difficult and at £1 a shirt it's worth it). Whilst out, DS2 texted could he go meet a friend at the ice rink in gillingham so we picked him up and took him there, then spent a few hours walking along the strand in gillingham. Haven't been there since the children were little and it was such a lovely day. Needed to buy some BBQ bits, so popped into Ts then back home. Then went to the card factory for a foil balloon for mum as we are going for afternoon tea today for her birthday. It's an antiques centre/tearoom in wateringbury. Her birthday is tomorrow but I'm working in Birmingham. Had a nice lie in of sorts this morning.

The good news is, no cooking for me today. DH will do something for him and the boys (DD will be with me for the tea) and all ironing is up to day yippee! Will push the vacuum round and dust before I go out today though.

Have a good day all
    Coxy x
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 16,118 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Another very windy morning, OH out tying plants up and weeding his veg.

Its his sisters 80th birthday, so glad they did not ask us to go up. She is ok in very small doses!!

Love the curtain fabric Hester........please take care, you have been running yourself ragged getting your house and the boat sorted.

Decisions made about the weeds surrounding the shed. I am pretty certain that whats growing is not JKnotweed. We are going to get a sprayer and spray the whole area with a glyphosate weedkiller now and then in September. We are then going to put down weed suppressant membrane and cover it with bark chippings. It will be used as a storage area for pots etc.

Shoulder of lamb for supper OH is out picking strawberries for dessert. We have had quite a few and I took some over to my neighbour, I know he likes them.

The sitting room carpet needs the dyson on it, so time to get going.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 16,976 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone, thanks to redruby for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs one.
    Thankfully after what has been a pretty stressful few days my Dad is now back up and running with a fridge/freezer and all his food has been returned to him this morning...... I'm for a quiet day, as they say about managing a long term condition I've used up all my "spoons" so need to watch what I'm doing for a day or so or I'll knock things back.
    I had a nice evening yesterday, my son cooked steaks with salad and jersey royals for us and my sister and we had a good chat and some wine afterwards. It was nice to have company and chill out for a bit.
    Managed a wee bit of gardening yesterday after my son creatively used some spare edging and a bag of compost to make a sort of bed on the slabs. It now has begonias and petunias in it and looks fab. This week's challenge is to get more salady bits sown along with the next batch of peas and beans and then I need to make a start on the front garden which is needing a bit of tlc
    Hope everyone has a good day x
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 11,564 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning

HH look after yourself and hope you feel better soon. Love the curtain fabric

TA Enjoy the party.

Nels Why don't you have the LO pizza for lunch and do yourself a nice Chicken Dinner tonight? Go on treat yourself, you deserve it

Well I managed to fall asleep on the sofa until 6am. I then took myself off to bed as I was determined to have a lie in on my day off. Eventually nodded off a few hours later and slept on and off till about 30 minutes ago.

No plans for today and I'm certainly not doing any cleaning but the wm is on.... a chilling day is in order I think.

Right now I need a coffee so I shall bid you all a good day x
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 4,948 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Well the weather here is dry but windy.
    DH is still not well and was up about 4am so will probably be having a nap this afternoon.
    Dad is due for lunch and we're having roast lamb with all the trimmings and he will probably also have an afternoon nap ! So I will have the TV remote all to myself .
    DW has been on already, all the veg prepped and the rest of the large bag of carrots are ready to go in the freezer. Nothing else doing today but must admit I'm jealous of those who are looking forward to the gardening, unfortunately I am unable to do it anymore and DH says "the best type of garden is a concrete one" . So not much help there then, although he does help with the hedges and the lawns.
    HH sorry you are poorly, look after yourself and get well soon
    TA bet you will have a good time today, it always happens when you are not looking froward to something
    Have a good Sunday everyone.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 5,903 Posts
    • 34,897 Thanks
    Gers
    First the rain died down.
    Then the wind got up.
    Next the rain is back with a vengeance!

My 'no-plan' day turned into a patrol around the garden for my mission to kill all the ground elder - that's coming along nicely although I find new little shoots each day. They get a coating of glysophate.

After that I started on part two of clearing out the back shed. This time I tackled the food mountain I bought back in 2013 when I was worried about power cuts. I can't believe how much stuff I have on two shelves, some of which is now in a bin bag. I'll use up the UHT milk even though it's past it's BB date and all the tins can stay as well. I don't even like soup that much but there's at least ten tins of 'big soups' there.

There's also a stack of newspapers, dating to 2013 too, which are now in the car for the next tip run. Of course, just as I wanted to do the tip trip the heavens opened.

Think I'll watch Casino Royale now.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 15,267 Posts
    • 62,568 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

All is well. Havent seen Youngest all weekend and hubby is keeping out of my way. He showed me some seat covers for the newly acquired set of wheels he liked on Ebay, i sort of flipped. Usually i just let it wash over me but i wasnt in the mood this morning. He'll spend his last penny on his wheels but when it comes to the house he's broke. He's out there polishing his wheels, has been out there all day but the door handle is falling off the bathroom door.

Yes, you could say i am in a grump today and i'm not sure why.

Hester I hope you feel better soon. Youngest is suffering with hayfever at the moment. His eyes are permanently red and watery.

TA Enjoy your DGD's communion and the party afterwards.

Bro called yesterday and the one job he had agreed to do (selling dads car) he has now decided he is too busy to do so guess where that job has landed
    Have you said anything though about the amount of stuff youve got to do and had to do already? It wouldnt have hurt to have told him how much your struggling with it all.

Beautiful day here, nice, sunny and warm and i'm going to make the most of it by doing nothing.

Onwards and forwards,

have a good evening all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • elona
    • By elona 11th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 11,245 Posts
    • 59,888 Thanks
    elona
    All the family have set off in their cars loaded down with individual portions of lasagne, spicy chicken and rice and meat and veg pie topped with potato pastry. I also sliced the cheesecake and gave them lidded containers of it so I don't get tempted.

The two types of homemade lasagne were very much appreciated and I am still working my way through the dirty dishes and pots.

Youngest dd has a job interview tomorrow so fingers crossed for her. We all are so chuffed for her that she has passed her driving test and even has a car ordered to be delivered next week. Her older sister and brother in law have been helping her look for cars, road tax, insurance etc.

I have a couple of parcels to post for dds tomorrow and then can try to sort out my bedroom in peace and quiet. Planning to take a dd to the cinema this week when we can find a time she is free.

Hus to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

6,902Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin