Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elena068
    • By Elena068 11th Jun 17, 4:03 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Elena068
    A friend of friend threw away my £300 worth suitcase last year
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:03 AM
    A friend of friend threw away my £300 worth suitcase last year 11th Jun 17 at 4:03 AM
    A friend of friend threw away my £300 worth suitcase last year. Should and can I chase her for compensation now?

I'm an university student. In 2015, I took a year abroad and left my stuff at my friend's house. She rented that house with another four girls. In Oct 2016, I returned back to university. At around the same time, my friend and the other three girls moved out, only one girl who continued to rent that house. My friend took all of her and my stuff to her new house, but forgot one of my suitcases. We later found out the girl who still stayed at the house had donated my luggage to a charity van. She claimed because even though 4 people inc my friend had moved out, there were still a lot of things left in her house, which got her angry. She said she had asked the other 3 girls, but forgot to ask my friend. And as a result, she threw away the suitcase. Inside the suitcase had many new stuff and invaluable sentiments of mine, total value were about £300. I didn't escalate this for a compensation. Now think about it, I feel I was so stupid, but I was totally a mess at that time. I had lots of things to worry about and catch up after a year off. My friend kept crying, blaming that was her fault of forgetting the suitcase, which was awkward. I did try to ask around charity shops in my city. The girl said she gave it to a BHS van, but my local BHS said they didn't receive my suitcase, which got my suspicious whether or not I knew the truth.

With other more important things to do, I had to put this issue aside and time flies before I realised. Now the end of academic year is coming, I'm thinking about my suitcase again. I feel really angry towards that girl who never said a single word of sorry to me, everything was through my friend.

Do you think I should and can chase her for compensation?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jun 17, 4:28 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:28 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:28 AM
    Put it down to experience and move on with your life.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Jun 17, 6:31 AM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 39,453 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:31 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:31 AM
    Of course. She'll counteract with storage fees.
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 11th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Aced2016
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    You left all your stuff to be the responsibility of others. I appreciate its not nice whats happened, but you should have made arrangements for your own belongingings.

You should just put it down to experience. And going forward make arrangements for your belongings, either put it in storage or move your stuff to your parents etc. I really think you'd struggle trying to claim compensation for a suitcase, that you left and others then left behind. You'll have to pay out legal or court fees i would assume ? I really only see you out of pocket further on this one.
    Last edited by Aced2016; 11-06-2017 at 6:56 AM.
    • Diary
    • By Diary 11th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Diary
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    Your friend couldn't be bothered to look after your stuff by taking it with her. Why should the girl who donated it to you say sorry? You left it there instead of taking this highly sentimental valued at 300 pounds suit case with you.

Go after your friend not the one who mistakenly threw it away. Get over yourself and move on.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 11th Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    chesky
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    Don't go after either.
    Friends can be in short supply and everybody messes up at some time.

Jobs like looking after stuff are what parents are made for.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 11th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 15,173 Posts
    • 20,625 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    Forget it and move on.

If it was that important you could have hired a storage locker.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 22,286 Posts
    • 57,137 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    Bit of a cheek to leave your stuff and expect it to be looked after by someone else, especially in rented, shared accommodation.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 2,513 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    I blame your friend for forgetting it and should you seek compo from her, not the one who is living there now.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 7,000 Posts
    • 18,840 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Things that are dear to you should stay close to you rather than be farmed to friends.
    Says she who wrote off a collection of vintage bike parts as after I moved, the friend (who'd also moved) had given them away. That the friendship crumbled later wasn't inevitable, but that didn't help.

Life is too short to chase things. Cherish people instead. Best revenge is a life well lived & living to an old age with all the good memories.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 11th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 19,505 Posts
    • 31,518 Thanks
    Spendless
    I take it you mean BHF (British Heart Foundation) rather than BHS(British Home Stores)?

The first is a charity, the second a shop no longer in existance. Just in case you asked the wrong place.

For the rest, I agree with the others. Nothing you can do, move on.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 11th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    avogadro
    Very long shot, you may find some items on EBay which are similar to the ones you lost. The suitcase was disposed of in error and it wouldn't be fair to try and punish the perpetrators at this stage. Move on.

I left items at my mothers house when I was a student, only to find later on that she'd binned them. (Like me she doesn't like clutter and anything that's not being used tends to get thrown!). I remember being rather annoyed that amongst the items she'd disposed of were a brand new pair of shoes of mine, but it's really not worth letting it eat away at you.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 11th Jun 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    rach_k
    I left a much-loved pair of shoes on the landing outside my bedroom door for a week once. My mum chucked them away. I sulked but I learned my lesson - if something matters to you, take responsibility and keep it safe.

No, you should not chase anybody for compensation. You should apologise to your friend for leaving your stuff with her for so long and you should apologise profusely for making her cry!
    • Elena068
    • By Elena068 11th Jun 17, 4:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Elena068
    Some people said why that friend's friend had to say sorry because I had left my stuff in a stranger's house in a year for free. But my friend paid rent too. That's her house too. Me and my friend are good friends. I offered her money to store my stuff in her house, but she refused and only asked me to give her my cutlery, kettles, bedding, etc so she didn't have to buy new things. My friend took my stuff in, stored them in her room so it really didn't bother any other housemates. And when she moved out, she took everything with her, just forgot a suitcase of mine. Technically, my suitcase was accidentally left in a stranger's house for only 3 weeks. That was a just cabin suitcase, it's so small, and the house is huge. There were only 4 people to ask, not 40 people, but she only asked 3 then decided this suitcase had to be thrown away. If we knew the suitcase was still there, I would be more than willing to pay her 3 week storage fee. My friend said that girl had opened the suitcase, saw lots of new stuff and thought it was for donation. In that suitcase, there were old photos and memorabilia, which clearly looked important. She must know that, but she heartlessly threw it out, or stole it, I don't know.

Yes, a strange suitcase is in your house, you have right to throw it. But you know, we are human and we help each other, and here we are students. Every week there are posts on my university's student group facebook about people trying to locate the recipient of a parcel suddenly arriving at their house, probably because they belong to the old tenants or the postman mistook the address. Before I took a year abroad, I had lived out in a house and gotten 5 unclaimed parcels. I didn't throw them away. I tried to find the recipients but there was no result, so I kept them at the very end of my contract and left them for my landlord before leaving. I was too kind to throw away someone's stuff, imagining one day they'd knock my door, asking for their parcel.

Anyway, thank you for all comments. I now have the resolve to let thing go and call it a lesson.
    • Elena068
    • By Elena068 11th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Elena068
    I left a much-loved pair of shoes on the landing outside my bedroom door for a week once. My mum chucked them away. I sulked but I learned my lesson - if something matters to you, take responsibility and keep it safe.

No, you should not chase anybody for compensation. You should apologise to your friend for leaving your stuff with her for so long and you should apologise profusely for making her cry!
    Originally posted by rach_k
    I comforted her, didn't make a fuss of it. Before I left I told her I would leave my stuff with her for 1 year. She knew and agreed. She insisted no money needed, because we are good friends and have known each other for years. So I gave her my kettles, beddings, food, lamps, etc like she requested and treated her an expensive meal. I don't get why I'm the one to be blamed here. I did my best.
    • Elena068
    • By Elena068 11th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Elena068
    Your friend couldn't be bothered to look after your stuff by taking it with her. Why should the girl who donated it to you say sorry? You left it there instead of taking this highly sentimental valued at 300 pounds suit case with you.

Go after your friend not the one who mistakenly threw it away. Get over yourself and move on.
    Originally posted by Diary
    The luggage was only left in her care for 3 weeks. There were only 4 people to ask but she only asked 3 then threw away my luggage. I'm even not sure if she donated it or she stole it. We didn't intend to leave it there. We forgot it and if I knew, I def paid her 3 week storage fee. She opened the luggage and must see lots of old photos in there. She must know they were important but ruthlessly threw it out.

Yes you have right to throw out a strange luggage. But we are human and we help each other you know. Just like your neighbours keep your posts when you're not home. Just like me and other students try to locate the recipients of a parcel suddenly arriving at our house, probably belong to old tenants or the postman mistook the address.

Yes, I've got the resolve to move it and call it a lesson.
    • Elena068
    • By Elena068 11th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Elena068
    I blame your friend for forgetting it and should you seek compo from her, not the one who is living there now.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Yes I blamed her 1 and blamed her friend 100. Reason? Read my other posts. My friend only managed to find a accommodation at the very last minute when her contract ended. She was in rush of moving out and didn't have time to pack her things probably. She and that girl got along pretty well, but the girl still ruthlessly threw away her/my stuff (the housemates didn't know she was storing my stuff), such a fake friend.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 11th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 5,495 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    I think you need to take the lesson on board that your belongings are your responsibility.

After all the lesson has cost you £300 (although it must be a very special suitcase to be worth that much)
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

8,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin