Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 11th Jun 17, 12:49 AM
    • 4,254Posts
    • 5,249Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Cat 'attacking' mine
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:49 AM
    Cat 'attacking' mine 11th Jun 17 at 12:49 AM
    Hi, there's a local cat who I think may be an entire male & who has no collar . . . he's a big lad, a long haired tuxedo black & white boy who looks very broad faced lol

Anyway, as gorgeous as he is, whenever he is in my area on his travels he will take any opportunity to chase my two (brother & sister, turning 1 on 19th of this month), and lies in the garden at times watching our way

He seems ok with the other, all adult, cats in the area, so could it be as mine are young & fairly small? The female was around 2.8kg & the male 3.1kg the last time they got weighed & the Vet felt as they have a bit of something else in too, they were about grown.

Mine both run away but this week the male had a paw injury & the female a back leg injury, i'm not sure if they hurt themselves running away/cornering fast or if it's his weight on them as he does get hold of them.

It's a communal garden so cat proofing it isn't an option & while I can ask on Spotted if anyone knows his owner, I doubt even if he has one they'd keep him in or neuter him (assuming he isn't done).

I only let my pair out when i'm home so he can't follow them inside, but i'm worried they will get scared to go out or he will hurt them badly, not to mention if he may have diseases etc.

Should I ask on Spotted & take him to a Vet to scan him/neuter? Would anyone neuter him as we wouldn't know if owned or not? No idea how i'd even catch him, tho he is friendly to stroke when he is on the wheelie bins (or in them) trying to find food.
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
Page 1
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 11th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 9,708 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    Not an easy situation.

Finding out whether he is owned or a stray would be a good starting point. No collar and scavenging in bins isn't definitive.

It may just come down to making sure your cats are covered with vaccines and let them sort things out between themselves. Even if that does mean your cats getting hurt

Unless you keep them indoors I'm not sure what else you can do honestly. Using a water pistol against him when you see him acting aggressively? So when chasing your cats. As it's a communal garden it's not unreasonable for him to sit and watch yours.

Neutering doesn't guarantee this behaviour will stop, he may just be an aggressive/ terratorial cat.
    (I always support neutering, just saying it won't necessarily stop the behaviour).
    Last edited by KxMx; 11-06-2017 at 2:32 PM.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    Think I read on here that the Cats' Protection League will pick up apparent strays and have them neutered before depositing them back where they came from, sore and confused
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 58,710 Posts
    • 341,398 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    To find its owner, lay in wait and spray his 4rse end bright blue .... their owner will soon want to know who did it and will post online and that'll be shared a lot .... and you can say you were painting something in your garden and he flew by!

• unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    But isn't that the one thing that cat owners like? They have no legal responsibility for the actions of their felines. However spraying it blue IS a criminal offence, or is this just a keyboard warrior thinking out their fantasy of actions they would like to take in real life

It has a downside as you are discovering, the owner needs to do nothing.
    Last edited by unforeseen; 11-06-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 11th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 5,249 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    I took the blue paint comment as meant part jokingly; it made me laugh anyway!

I didn't know any cat owners liked having no legal responsibility for them, I have owned cats for 32yrs of my life & don't even think about that as I always take responsibility whether I legally have to or not, so can't answer that

I didn't say the owner needs to do anything, but i'd like to know if it *isn't* owned so I can try to get it through a rescue & neutered &/or homed . . obviously if it is owned then there is nothing I can do

I forgot they may be that way anyway, and he may well be as he ignores the older cats. I guess being young & small they are easy to cat bully! I can try a water pistol but rarely see him until he is on them, too many bushes/trees/corners lol
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 11th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 9,708 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    I have a neutered female and she is hands down the biggest bully in the neighbourhood. She very rarely gets into fights because the opponents, quite wisely, flee in terror!

The one time a cat didn't back down she ended up in a wrestling match with it When I stepped in to intervene they both saw sense and fled in separate directions.

(This was outside my back garden )

If another cat owner wanted to use a water pistol against my cat I'd have no issues with it, in fact I would encourage it
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 23rd Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 5,249 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 23rd Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    Right, it's an owned male called Nibbler & the owner says he isn't castrated & they won't do that, so I guess i'm stuck with him. It's unbelievable to me that people let cats out without neutering, guess not everyone is an animal lover or they don't understand!

Any ideas of anything else I can do? I can't force the owner to castrate him, or stop him using our communal garden, and don't want to stop mine going out. Will mine & this other cat work it out between them? As far as I know neither of mine have hurt him & they both seem to run from him x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,086Posts Today

6,839Users online

Martin's Twitter