Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • essjaydeem
    • By essjaydeem 11th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    essjaydeem
    Separating with a Joint Mortgage
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    Separating with a Joint Mortgage 11th Jun 17 at 12:04 AM
    After the first mortgage payment it comes to light that my so has been unfaithful; we have decided to separate.
    We have agreed that up until such a point that the joint mortgage and deeds can be transferred to my name we will continue to live together (there is a spare room!). However, I don't even know how to approach the bank? "Hi, we (I) have paid one payment of our 30 year £159k mortgage and now we don't want to be together??". I paid the £375k deposit; just me I mean.
    My union gives me two free hours with a solicitor that I will use once I know exactly what I need to do...
    Any suggestions?
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 29,772 Posts
    • 17,799 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    Start with your affordability,

If you can meet the lenders criteria then you have a chance.
    • Number75
    • By Number75 11th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Number75
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    Is that right, £375K deposit?
    I really hope you protected that legally - how do you own the house, as tenants in common with separate % shares or joint tenants?

Don't worry about the lender's opinion on you changing after one payment. They don't care that he's a cheat (sorry you're going through that) - they'll have a process and you just follow that. Will you be OK on affordability?

My first action would be to understand how you own the house, and if it is 50/50 I'd be talking to the solicitor about the best way to get your ex to confirm in writing asap that he agrees it will not be a 50/50 split.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,942Posts Today

8,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin