Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BiBi
    • By BiBi 10th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 81Thanks
    BiBi
    Picking up keys on moving day
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    Picking up keys on moving day 10th Jun 17 at 11:18 PM
    Hi guys

Could I have a quick show of hands please?

What time/time of day did you pick up your keys on moving day?

I have hit an odd problem which means I've just lost the removals firm I had booked and am having no luck getting a new one as yet...

My solicitor yesterday advised that I should be able to pick up the new house keys at 2pm on completion day. The form stated 12.30 as standard text but it had been crossed out (with no comment added) and my junior solicitor said I should leave it until at least 2pm for all the days activities to complete. I'd booked the removals firm from 11am as on my previous moves I'd always picked up the keys in the morning.

I updated the removals firm and they said that 2pm was too late and I should find another firm (fairly easy move, 2-bed to 2-bed and my buyers are buying my sofa suite and all white goods & wardrobes).

I called 2 other firms to be told the same thing. They said I should be collecting my keys from 9am....

I left a message with the solicitors to ask if i could pick up in the morning (as this would better suit me too) but in my experience they won't get back to me until I've chased for a few days. So I thought I'd poll opinion just for info to see if there was a norm or if something has changed since I last moved.

I.e. Is it well known that removal firms only start in the morning or have I just hit unlucky in today's calls?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info
Page 2
    • BiBi
    • By BiBi 11th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    BiBi
    Thanks for all your info guys, much appreciated.

I have a better idea of what sort of thing to ask this week, so a million thanks

Apologies for the phrasing 'they said I should be collecting my keys from 9am' was from a chap who I believe was saying the est agents and solicitors open at 9am so that's when the completion day clock starts ticking so I should be prepared to go at any time - (in essence, book him from 9am, then pay the £80 per hour til it actually happened - possibly gaining himself a 'sitting on his butt bonus' from when the van is full mid morning til the keys come in mid afternoon at the earliest!)

I said to each company "I expect to get the keys around 2pm" so I've assumed they'd start the booking earlier to pack up - but I'll stipulate this on future calls to be sure.

I've moved previously with just hiring a van (and a few friends being paid in pizza & alcohol!) which has all gone fine but I have a problem with my knee so I can't be hopping in and out of the van nowadays so have decided to get porters to do all that this time.

I think the other companies' problem was 'afternoon versus morning'. I wasn't sure how many jobs they try and do each day but from your info I'm now guessing one move a day due to the possible delays. I moved lots previously - but in rented flats, so that's a different kettle of fish and I guess I was lucky with my present house with no delays.

I'll start calling again tomorrow with more questions due to the info you've given.

Thanks again
    Last edited by BiBi; 11-06-2017 at 8:23 PM.
    • BiBi
    • By BiBi 12th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    BiBi
    Hi guys,

To add closure for anyone interested and future readers....

I have now booked a removals firm, hurrah!

As advised by all the lovely people on here, there is no way to be sure you'll get your keys at a specific time on completion day. So I booked the firm from 10am (to come and start loading the van at 10am, to be clear) and we are aware there is a good possibility of waiting around once I am packed up and loaded on to the van. Any ensuing hours of waiting around are just part of the process and any frustration at the hourly fee that I pay the removals firm for that is a waste of energy - it's not their fault or mine, just the way it is. There isn't any way I can see to limit this, and the day is so unpredictable that it would be folly to try.

I know this is a money saving site, but on this subject I've had to admit defeat and swallow the high risk that I'll pay £100-£200 to sit in n my car outside my new house twiddling my thumbs (I may start a 'waiting to get into my new house - anyone want to join me' thread!! )

The removals chap said his best suggestion is to keep on top of the solicitors on the day (I may actually go sit in their offices - they provide free tea&coffee and it's air conditioned!!

Good luck to all and thanks to everyone who took the time to reply
    • HB58
    • By HB58 12th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    HB58
    Thanks for the update.

It sounds as if you have the right attitude - all sorts of things can hold up the process on the day of completion. Being prepared to wait it out without getting aggitated is the best way to go if you can.

We moved into a new flat at the end of April. We expected to complete at 1.30 but got the call at 12.30 - only to discover that our vendors had not left keys and were not answering their phones! We finally got in to our new home at 4.30pm, after their mother had brought the keys to us (we were buying from 2 brothers)! We were very glad that we had paid an extra sum as insurance for the waiting time

I hope that everything goes smoothly for you and you are very happy in your new home.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 40,113 Posts
    • 45,820 Thanks
    G_M
    You've done the right thing.

Yes, it's a moneysaving site, and the cheaper options for consideration involve hiring a van and getting mates to do the work. But if the furniture is too much (or the mates to little!) then gambling on specific timing and paying by the hour just isn't worth it.

Note: siting in the solicitors office is an option (if it's convenient and you can still easily supervise the removal firm, but don't hassle too much, and don't ring them up every 30 minutes! All you'll do is
    a) annoy them and
    b) slow them down answering your calls to tell you 'Nothing's happened yet'.

To you, this is a big event, but they do this every day - just let them get on with their job.
    • The_Logans
    • By The_Logans 12th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    The_Logans
    Our removals guys arrived at 10am,they got on with loading the van. We got keys at 1pm. By 2pm we were at new house unloading.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 12th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We got our keys just after midday. My brother however didn't get his until about 4.30pm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

3,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin