Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjp2k
    • By cjp2k 10th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 4Thanks
    cjp2k
    Mother overcharged for 2 years...
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    Mother overcharged for 2 years... 10th Jun 17 at 9:40 PM
    Hi guys need to help and advice my mum moved to Sainsbury's energy 2 years ago and they changed her meter about 2 months after. She has had massive bills and has paid nearly £3600 in gas alone over the last 2 years... 2 bed mid terrace with new super efficient combi boiler.

She came over today stressed out after receiving a letter saying they were increasing her direct debit to £180 A month... which she can't afford. I couldn't understand how she was paying so much compared to what I am paying. We have the heating on all the time with a 2 year old baby in the house....

I looked at her bills to try and work out why its so high. It turns out they have been charging her for a imperial meter, even though they changed it for metric themselves

Any idea how to get this sorted. I read the info in here from 2016 about been contacted by the energy supplier direct which hasn't happened. Am I going to have to fight for a refund for my mum. Or will they offer to put it as a bill credit which we don't want....

Thanks

Chris
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Jun 17, 9:44 PM
    • 8,411 Posts
    • 12,807 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:44 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:44 PM
    Just ring and tell them. Simple to sort out and a refund will be made.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • cjp2k
    • By cjp2k 10th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cjp2k
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    Thanks. Do they need to come and visit the property etc. My mum is going in for survey next week so won't be able to accommodate meter readers etc
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    Can you take a photo of the meter ?

Sainsbury's probably wont talk to you without your mum's consent. Have her by your side when you ring up

It will all be resolved very easily.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 11th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    Really needs a LETTER headed Complaint enclosing a photo of the meter.

Sainsbury are a 'White' label supplier, ie they are not a fully accredited supplier and 'Front' for one who is
    In these circumstances that arrangement slows things down - You talk to Sainsbury and then they talk to the real supplier - A letter headed Complaint sets in train procedures the supplier has to follow, and if they haven't sorted it in 56 days from the letter, you go straight to the Ombudsman.

Look at Mum's bills and work out that for £1 worth of Gas she has used, she has been charged £2.83, then adjust the VAT she has paid - The cash-back she is due should put her mind at rest
    • macman
    • By macman 11th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 41,100 Posts
    • 16,851 Thanks
    macman
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    Given that she should be receiving a refund in the order of £2,000, I'd say it was well worth facilitating BG if they if they do want to inspect the meter-though it really shouldn't be necessary.
    Why did she leave it so long before querying it though? The first bill after the meter change would have erroneously shown a near tripling of usage.
    Make sure they also add something on for loss of interest on the overpayment.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • cjp2k
    • By cjp2k 11th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cjp2k
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    Yes I can take a photo that's not a problem she left it so long as my dad was terminally ill and thought they had been using more heating and hot water due to this. The timing if this happening and the meter change were around the same time

As my dad's not there anymore she was hoping the bill would drop but it didn't that's when I got involved and noticed the problem
    • cjp2k
    • By cjp2k 11th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cjp2k
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    Just a quick update... been round to my mum's and the meter was changed by Sainsbury's December 2014. Sticker with old serial number etc

Looking at her statements and bills from June 2015 to date... still have the old serial number. .. I have worked out she's owed around £1800 plus whatever she used between December 14 and June 15....

Question is why they didn't update the meter and serial number when it was them who instructed the meter change

She's going in for surgery on Tuesday so she's not in the best frames of mind. But I am going over for 8tomorrow to get permission to talk to them so I can deal with it....
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 12th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    Authority for you to manage Mum's account is best done by a letter from her - On the phone the CS person you speak to may promise to sort it, then go off duty haveing done nothing - So include her letter with the one from you headed Complaint

This letter is important.
    Within the last 2 months I've had reason to deal with a 'White' label company, ( My SHWMBO friend a used Marks & Spencer credit card for the deposit for an all girls holiday)
    The supplier went bust 4 weeks before the start date - In first phone calls to M&S they denied any responsiblity for recompense under Section 75 and it took 2 weeks to get the claim moving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,505Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter