Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calltobala
    • By calltobala 10th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 4Thanks
    calltobala
    standard life group stake holders pension
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    standard life group stake holders pension 10th Jun 17 at 7:09 PM
    Dear Experts

I am not asking advice but I would like to request some tips from pension funds experts.

So far I was with Hargreaves lansdown on SIPP. In my new company I am with standard life Group stake holders pension going to 1 scheme (SL Black Rock 50:50). Now , i am not adding anything in HL SIPP after job change.

If i compare SIPP @ HL Vs Group stake holders pension it doesn't have big pool of funds.

Is it possible to select my own funds from groups stake holders pension and is it possible to change it to SIPP . I am not sure if I can do that or allowed to do that.

I feel I have to take risks and diversify my funds into atleast 4 funds instead of 1 fund.
Page 1
    • EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 10th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    EdSwippet
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    If i compare SIPP @ HL Vs Group stake holders pension it doesn't have big pool of funds.
    Originally posted by calltobala
    Don't confuse wide fund choice with better individual fund quality. What you need are the right, quality funds. Having a massive choice but where the majority are useless, inappropriate, or egregiously overlapping options is not helpful.

Is it possible to select my own funds from groups stake holders pension and is it possible to change it to SIPP . I am not sure if I can do that or allowed to do that.
    You can probably pick from among a small-ish range of funds in your employer's GPP. It is very likely that the right, quality funds you need are there, the BlackRock one you mention included. I hold this one in my ex-employer's GPP, blended with a couple of gilt funds for ballast.

As for moving employer pension funds to a SIPP... some employer schemes will let you do this, but most seem not to. Ask them.

I feel I have to take risks and diversify my funds into at least 4 funds instead of 1 fund.
    Likewise, don't confuse number of funds with diversification for risk reduction. One single fund holding 5,000 separate stocks is five times more diversified than 10 funds each holding 100 stocks.

The BlackRock 50:50 is a fund of funds, containing five underlying passive tracker funds that target global equity markets -- UK, US, Europe, Japan, and Pacific ex-Japan. In that sense, then, you already hold five funds, not just one.

While we could argue over whether the fund's 50% bias to UK stocks is appropriate -- and also whether your own portfolio should be all equity and with no other asset classes -- a single holding in this one BlackRock fund is itself a fully diversified equity holding.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 88,148 Posts
    • 53,376 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    Stakeholders are designed to be simple and cheap for small values.

I feel I have to take risks and diversify my funds into atleast 4 funds instead of 1 fund.
    Why do you feel the need for that? it is better to hold one multi-asset fund than 4 single sector funds.

Is the SIPP better value for you than the GSHP?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • davieg11
    • By davieg11 10th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    davieg11
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    My work also recommends BlackRock Global (50-50) Managed Global Equity Pension Fund. It's only 0.49% annual charge. It has a 85.50% cumulative performance in last 5 years but only 83.72% in last 10 years. I picked a portfolio of 6 other funds instead including Baillie Gifford Life Managed Fund as I prefer active funds, but everyone has different opinions!
    • calltobala
    • By calltobala 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    calltobala
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    Dear All, Many thanks for your valuable tips and suggestions.

I am with my new employer for the last 8 months. So i was not aware about Black Rock funds details in my pension pot. I thought Black rock is of low risk and low growth. I couldn't figure out risk or yield details on my online account.

So I thought of taking of taking more risk by distributing funds into different funds and different sectors.

It looks like i have to get more details about my Stake holders pension profits.

Many thanks for your reply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,216Users online

Martin's Twitter