Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vicki2220
    • By vicki2220 10th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    vicki2220
    Advice please - being replaced at work?
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    Advice please - being replaced at work? 10th Jun 17 at 7:05 PM
    I am a marketing manager and have been in my current position for almost 4 years. In February my new boss started. It has been an awful few months, she has removed all of my authority and micro manages me to within an inch of my life. She also criticises me relentlessly on trivial matters such as clicking my pen too much and for my nails being too long (they make a clicking noise on the keyboard that she doesn't like).

Her and I were called to HR to discuss how to better our relationship. During this meeting HR repeatedly asked me what I felt were the "pinch points" of my role were and what workload couldn't I manage . I advised that I felt my workload was fine. Indeed I've never missed a deadline or been told I'm not delivering on anything.

On Friday they told me that they are hiring another marketing manager and I will need to hand over half of my responsibilities to her. They said this was due to some expansion plans coming down the line and an anticipated higher workload. When I protested that I didn't want to let go of half my job they told me they thought I'd be happy. They acted as though I was being terribly ungrateful. They gave me a new job description and told me that I had until 5pm to let them know if I had any issues with it. I was so upset and shocked that I did not respond.

I have since found out that this new manager has 10 years less experience than me and is someone who worked with my boss previously.

This really feels like I'm being pushed out! Surely this is not OK? Everyone in the office is totally confused and keep asking me why on earth a new marketing manager is coming in. Some of my colleagues have asked HR about it and have been told that I asked for help. I absolutely categorically never asked for help. It is going to be humiliating to have someone significantly less experienced than me come in and take half of my job like this.

Any advice?
Page 1
    • Alderbank
    • By Alderbank 10th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Alderbank
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    It's not up to you who your company employs or what duties the company gives them. However if it is genuinely because of expansion plans and an anticipated higher workload then you should be able to use this to your advantage. You have 10 years more experience in this field and 4 years more experience in this firm. You ought to be pushing to be senior marketing manager or else for your new assistant, for that is how they are describing the newcomer, to be assistant marketing manager. You are not equals.

If you can achieve that outcome it should actually be better for you than just a steadily increasing workload. However you need to watch your back, especially if your proposal is not received well. If that happens, in your shoes I would start looking for your next job. Do your competitors have a vacancy?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    They gave me a new job description
    Originally posted by vicki2220
    Why did they give you a new JD? Does this dilute your current JD?
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 10th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    Your place sounds toxic, wont be good for your mental health long-term. As said, seek employment with a competitor.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 29,171 Posts
    • 17,453 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    when they told you the company had plans you went negative.

A Positive approach is often better in these situations.

great what new work are we planning, lets work on the plan the workloads so we get a new person on board and productive quickly etc.

if expanding you don't just give up 1/2 it needs planning and you need to know the new workload.

Could be walking into a classic planned redundancy situation, we are expanding and they take someone on.
    Plans change and now there are too many people.
    valid legal redundancy...
    • eamon
    • By eamon 11th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    eamon
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Its probably more simple than all the above. The new manager has taken a dislike to you for unknown reasons and wants you gone. HR are supporting then in that action as well. Thats whats micromanagement is usually about. Right now you are in a rubbish place to be and faced with limited options. Play along, fight back or resign? Unless you are stubborn, strong willed and have a really good support network outside the workplace then you will struggle. Don't rely on work colleagues to support you either. Before you make any decisions though find out if your employer has any policies re harrassment, bullying etc. Though unless your employment is unionised is would be difficult to go down that route without support. I tend to favour the opinion of other posters that have suggested taking your experience and expertise elsewhere.
    Best of luck for the future.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 29,171 Posts
    • 17,453 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    You also need to look at how a new boss came about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,635Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin