Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notjustamum
    • By notjustamum 10th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 26Thanks
    notjustamum
    DVLA Tax Refund Email - Scam?
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    DVLA Tax Refund Email - Scam? 10th Jun 17 at 7:03 PM
    I recently bought a 13 plate car from a dealership and used my knackered old car as part-ex. I had 9 months road tax left on my old one and the salesman said when the V5 was received by DVLA I would automatically receive a refund of the 8 complete months left of the old tax. I checked online and it did state this on the DVLA website. I received the V5 yesterday by post.

Just checking my junk folder before deleting everything in it and I came across an email from donotreply.evl@dvla.gsi.gov stating that I must click on a link and complete the form to receive a refund for my road tax. The form asks for my full name, maiden name (I've been married 20 years), full address, name of bank, long debit card number, start date, expiry date, sort code, issue number, security number on the back & mothers maiden name! Surely they don't need all this! I asked on another forum and people said they have had tax confirmation emails from the same email address so it must be genuine. I'm beginning to wonder though as I haven't had the automatic refund and it's 2 weeks now. I just don't feel comfortable putting all that information.

What do you all think?
    Last edited by notjustamum; 11-06-2017 at 1:07 AM.
Page 1
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    Scam, do not click on the link - if you hover over the link, look at the bottom of the browser at the address - but do not click it.

The bank details alone is a give away - everything needed to make an online purchase. Mother's maiden name is asked as it's the most common forgot password reminder.

I have had some from Paypal, Amazon, Halifax etc - all looking legit email addresses as they are easily spoofed.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 10-06-2017 at 7:14 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    No, you don't need to do all that. It's a scam.

The refund is sent as a cheque (remember them?) payable to the registered keeper at the address on the V5C.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 10th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    I recently bought a 13 plate car from a dealership and used my knackered old car as part-ex. I had 9 months road tax left on my old one and the salesman said when the V5 was received by DVLA I would automatically receive a refund of the 8 complete months left of the old tax. I checked online and it did state this on the DVLA website. I received the V5 yesterday by post.

Just checking my junk folder before deleting everything in it and I came across an email from donotreply.evl@dvla.gsi.gov.uk stating that I must click on a link and complete the form to receive a refund for my road tax. The form asks for my full name, maiden name (I've been married 20 years), full address, name of bank, long debit card number, start date, expiry date, sort code, issue number, security number on the back & mothers maiden name! Surely they don't need all this! I asked on another forum and people said they have had tax confirmation emails from the same email address so it must be genuine. I'm beginning to wonder though as I haven't had the automatic refund and it's 2 weeks now. I just don't feel comfortable putting all that information.

What do you all think?
    Originally posted by notjustamum
    I'd be suspicious.
    Though the email is said to be from a gsi that could be a fabrication.
    It is the link which needs to be really genuine. Does that seem correct?
    Could you phone them - via a number available on their genuine website - to find out if that is how they operate?

ETA - I see others have clear knowledge that suspicion was justified. And I also have a feeling that the gsi addresses are phased out (or may be about to be).
    Last edited by General Grant; 10-06-2017 at 7:11 PM.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 10th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    loskie
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    a cheque will arrive to the regd keeper at their address usually very promptly too. ignore email
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    Though the email is said to be from a gsi that could be a fabrication.

ETA - I see others have clear knowledge that suspicion was justified. And I also have a feeling that the gsi addresses are phased out (or may be about to be).
    Originally posted by General Grant
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    Here's an example of what could happen if you clicked on the link (don't worry, this is safe.)

donotreply.evl@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

As you can see, just because your email client says it is that address it doesn't mean that is where you end up when you click on it.

In this case the link takes you to somewhere safe. In your case it is going to take you to a page that looks the same as one from DVLA but actually isn't.

One thing I like about the mail client in Mac OSX is if you hover your cursor over a link it shows the true address.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 9,284 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    I would also suggest contacting Actionfraud:
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
    and tell them exactly what has happened.

It can't be a coincidence that you received this e-mail at exactly the same time as you were expecting a genuine refund from the DVLA so it's possible that someone from either the dealership you purchased the car from or someone working at the DVLA are involved in the scam.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 6,816 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    A sender can set the From address to whatever they like in email, so you should not rely on other people getting email with the same from address.

It's the like receving a letter. If you get a letter from "Mrs T. May, 10 Downing Street", anyone in the country could have sent it. The Royal Mail do not authenticate the sender of a mail before delivering it to an addressee. Email is the same, although there are some things that try (SPF, DKIM), but they cause more trouble than they're worth IMO.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 11th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Go on DVLA website via Google
    Find phone number or email
    Tell them about scam

Why on earth do people think an email asking for FULL card details might be legit?

Great you have asked, but common sense surely!
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 11th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    rich13348
    This is a scam. As said above you will get a cheque in the post. Mine came rather rapidly. If its been a couple of weeks phone the DVLA and ask them about it.

Just because you received the V5 for your new car doesn't mean they have received the V5 for your old car. And its the old V5 they need to process a refund.

Did you send send off the yellow vehicle moved to motor trade slip and leave the rest of the V5 with the garage. There is an option to do the trade online which is instant and you don't have to worry about the vagaries of the royal mail.
    • By 1886 11th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    A friend at work received the exact same but it was a text message. He showed me it and he clicked the link. It takes you to an incredibly believable fake website of the Direct.gov

They wanted all of his bank details etc

He texted them back and asked them to send him a cheque instead. Strangely they did'nt reply lol
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 11th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 10,283 Thanks
    jimjames
    I would also suggest contacting Actionfraud:
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
    and tell them exactly what has happened.

It can't be a coincidence that you received this e-mail at exactly the same time as you were expecting a genuine refund from the DVLA so it's possible that someone from either the dealership you purchased the car from or someone working at the DVLA are involved in the scam.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    It absolutely could be a coincidence. If you send out millions of emails, a few could well hit the right people. I get emails for multiple banks I have no account with but some people will be valid for.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    wongataa
    One thing I like about the mail client in Mac OSX is if you hover your cursor over a link it shows the true address.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    As far as I am aware all mail clients do this. All the ones I have seen on Windows do.
    • Giddypip
    • By Giddypip 12th Jun 17, 7:19 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Giddypip
    Gov website says cheque can take up to 6 weeks from DVLA receiving form, if not received after that there are details of what to do.
    • notjustamum
    • By notjustamum 18th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    notjustamum
    It absolutely could be a coincidence. If you send out millions of emails, a few could well hit the right people. I get emails for multiple banks I have no account with but some people will be valid for.
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Sorry I haven't replied to posts. I've been ill and only just got back on my feet. I'm always very wary of potential phishing scams and would have put this one down to coincidence BUT in the email it quoted the exact amount of road tax I had paid and the number of complete months worth of refund I was due to receive in £'s & p. Scammers couldn't have known this unless they had that exact information and that's what swayed me.

I still haven't received a cheque either.

Not jimjames quote, as above, but there were a couple of really condescending answers. If you haven't got anything useful to say I'd suggest saying nothing at all.

Thanks to everyone else though.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 18th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    It is easy to find out when a vehicle licence expires (and so the refund), from the registration (vehicle check on the .gov website).
    What could be more worrying is how they had your details, if it was not a mass e-mail scam.
    Last edited by Rover Driver; 18-06-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 18th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    stockton
    Friend of mine sorned a vehicle on-line on 13th of june. She was required to input just two pieces of information: the vehicle registration number and the 11 figure reference number on the V5.

She received a cheque on Saturday the 17th of June. The letter was dated the 14th of June. The DVLA seem to be on the ball, at least with Sorns.
    Last edited by stockton; 19-06-2017 at 9:42 PM. Reason: Correction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

4,007Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin