Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 10th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 876Posts
    • 267Thanks
    Muscle750
    Car hit while unattended
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    Car hit while unattended 10th Jun 17 at 5:43 PM
    Parked my Audi A6 in Eden shopping centre car park in High Wycombe come back to car and someones clobbered it in the edge of rear bumper the rear wheel scrapped and wheel arch. No note on car. Anyway looking at the car parked next to me a small Yaris there was some signs of damage to their front bumper corner. So i left a note on their screen just asking them to phone my mobile that was all. I went down to the shops and asked a security guard if they had CCTV which they did we both went back to the car he took details and said that the camera was well in line to see who did it etc. Just then the owners of the car next to me turns up, I asked him if he had my hit car which he said he hadnt and to be honest if he had im sure he would of gone and parked elsewhere anyway. I obviously cant say for deffo it was him althou im not totally convinced as his mrs looked rather sheepish and quiet. I got their reg number no other details. Just as we were about to walk off ............BANG!! Someone trying to park behind us decided to reverse straight in another unattended car door doing quite alot of damage. The woman saw us and first thing she said ..............."Dont worry i aint gonna drive off" which in all fairness she did put her details on the car window. Im just annoyed whoever did my car left no details. Im waiting now to see if the camera did pick anything up and they said they will contact me with any details. I did wonder after thou wether they can under the data protection etc. If the car that was parked there was the culprit or someone else im just annoyed. Thing is even if i do get a reg number of the car ill have to go throu insurance as i have no way of finding the drivers address etc
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 11,541 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    Keep on at them to supply CCTV footage, they will likely try to duck out of it to avoid being involved in any legal proceedings.

You can pay the DVLA for driver details, but I think insurance is the way to go.

If you value your car, then you need to reconsider parking in locations where these idiots park. I always park in the quietest area of a carpark, I always reverse into a space and I always leave my wheels fully turned so any "reversing out of space" idiots hit the tyres and not my car.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 10th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    Keep on at them to supply CCTV footage, they will likely try to duck out of it to avoid being involved in any legal proceedings.

You can pay the DVLA for driver details, but I think insurance is the way to go.

If you value your car, then you need to reconsider parking in locations where these idiots park. I always park in the quietest area of a carpark, I always reverse into a space and I always leave my wheels fully turned so any "reversing out of space" idiots hit the tyres and not my car.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Not necesarily good advice, a friend of mine left their front wheels turned when they visited a pub. When they came out and drove away the steering seemed funny and when they took it to the dealer it needed a new steering rack as it seems someone had hit the wheel and as the steering rack was at full extension it bent the mechanism. £2500 bill
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 11,541 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    Not necesarily good advice, a friend of mine left their front wheels turned when they visited a pub. When they came out and drove away the steering seemed funny and when they took it to the dealer it needed a new steering rack as it seems someone had hit the wheel and as the steering rack was at full extension it bent the mechanism. £2500 bill
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    I find that unlikely considering the forces that are applied to the steering system everytime a car is driven. I'd expect a track rod end to bust first and even that would take considerable force. The car must have been hit at a velocity high enough to have done serious damage regardless of how the wheel was turned.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 11th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    I always park in the quiet parts and you can almost guarantee that some !!!! in a van or 4x4 has parked alongside, sometimes one of each.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 11th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 876 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Muscle750
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    Tie bars which is the end of the rack bend quite easy especially if the wheels on full lock BMWs you have to replace the rack which is electric and is £1600 even if the car is hit on the wheel and will adjust back to its measurements on 4 wheel alignment, They are now also saying the column should be replaced as well which is a joke this is from Thatcham repair methods
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 11th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Muscle750
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    I have been contacted by the shopping centre and they have footage on CCTV of the car hitting mine and then driving off. They say they cant supply me with the reg number unless i go throu insurance and then they will inform insurance company of the details etc. Which is pretty annoying Someone said i can pay the DVLA to provide details of ownership etc if i have the reg number wether this is true i dont know. And more to the point getting the number off the CCTV recording via the shopping centre
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 11th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Muscle750
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    I have discovered on the DVLA website that this is the case and i can obtain details of the car ownership etc. Can the shopping centre legally not pass on the info to me?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    If you can get the reg you can get the details of the insurer via askmid, which would mean you can claim directly from them rather than having to make a claim on your own policy

But don't risk them wiping the cctv by putting off getting access via your own insurer - some sites only keep video a very limited time

If you aren't personally on the cctv you have a problem forcing them to let you have it
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I have been contacted by the shopping centre and they have footage on CCTV of the car hitting mine and then driving off. They say they cant supply me with the reg number unless i go throu insurance and then they will inform insurance company of the details etc. Which is pretty annoying Someone said i can pay the DVLA to provide details of ownership etc if i have the reg number wether this is true i dont know. And more to the point getting the number off the CCTV recording via the shopping centre
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    In that case just report it to the police and they will give you the keeper details.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 11th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I always park in the quiet parts and you can almost guarantee that some !!!! in a van or 4x4 has parked alongside, sometimes one of each.
    Originally posted by treboeth
    It makes me laugh it does. A bit back I parked well away from the "easy" places.
    Plenty of spaces between me and there. I thought I was safe!
    Came back to find two more vehicles parked right next to mine.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 11,541 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    Strider590
    It makes me laugh it does. A bit back I parked well away from the "easy" places.
    Plenty of spaces between me and there. I thought I was safe!
    Came back to find two more vehicles parked right next to mine.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    It's called sods law, but you still reduced the risk by doing so.

Of course in a busy carpark it's not so easy, in which case the lowest risk is next to (or between) cars that have been reverse parked, because this shows the driver is somewhat competent behind the wheel and reduces the risk of getting side swiped when they leave their space.

• Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 12th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    It's called sods law, but you still reduced the risk by doing so.

Of course in a busy carpark it's not so easy, in which case the lowest risk is next to (or between) cars that have been reverse parked, because this shows the driver is somewhat competent behind the wheel and reduces the risk of getting side swiped when they leave their space.
    Yes, although in some car parks, it feels safer to park in the more public areas.
    Interestingly IIRC the cars that parked next to me were "decent" in that they didn't look battered or full of crud. Wonder if people see you parked away from the herd and think it's an idea.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 12th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 11,541 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    Strider590
    Yes, although in some car parks, it feels safer to park in the more public areas.
    Interestingly IIRC the cars that parked next to me were "decent" in that they didn't look battered or full of crud. Wonder if people see you parked away from the herd and think it's an idea.
    Only if they care about their car.

You can't use "decent" as a judgement, because it's very easy to lease a new car and any new car is going to appear "decent", i'd rather park near something 5+ years old that still looks "decent".

• unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 11,278 Posts
    • 8,495 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Plenty of people do it. Definitely a logic to it given most dings/bumps etc probably happen in car parks.

In less than 15 years driving, I've been hit 3 times while the car was parked and I was still sat in it plus probably other times I haven't been aware until later when washing the car for example. I've seen 2 cars who didn't have their handbrake on roll across the car park into other cars. I've seen umpteen trolleys be left against other cars or have the wind blow them into other cars. I've seen countless people either not grab hold of their door or lose a grip on it in high winds - battering off the car next to them etc.

No, I'm not perfect myself. Lost grip of the door in extreme winds & rain (what the media like to call a hurricane, what we call "a bit windy"). Only slipped out my hand at the last inch or two (lost grip with the rain against a sudden gust) so luckily was no damage. Would have paid if it had - nothing worse than someone who damages your car and walks/drives off on their merry way.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 12th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Only if they care about their car.

You can't use "decent" as a judgement, because it's very easy to lease a new car and any new car is going to appear "decent", i'd rather park near something 5+ years old that still looks "decent".
    That's exactly what I meant by "decent" .Older cars that looked reasonably well cared for. Anybody who can afford it can have a new car. It's how it get's treated that matters.
    Plenty of people do it. Definitely a logic to it given most dings/bumps etc probably happen in car parks.

In less than 15 years driving, I've been hit 3 times while the car was parked and I was still sat in it plus probably other times I haven't been aware until later when washing the car for example. I've seen 2 cars who didn't have their handbrake on roll across the car park into other cars. I've seen umpteen trolleys be left against other cars or have the wind blow them into other cars. I've seen countless people either not grab hold of their door or lose a grip on it in high winds - battering off the car next to them etc.

No, I'm not perfect myself. Lost grip of the door in extreme winds & rain (what the media like to call a hurricane, what we call "a bit windy"). Only slipped out my hand at the last inch or two (lost grip with the rain against a sudden gust) so luckily was no damage. Would have paid if it had - nothing worse than someone who damages your car and walks/drives off on their merry way.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Nobody is perfect.

You all make mistakes!

Seriously though we all do. Mistakes are one thing. Generally not giving a toss is another.
    I had a Passat estate for many years. It certainly wasn't "battered" but it had little dings and scratches all the way round at shopping trolley height. I hadn't put them there, neither had my wife.
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Jun 17, 5:06 PM
    • 8,852 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    missile
    After my car was damaged by a hit and run motorist, I installed dash cam with parking guard.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,634Posts Today

6,301Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin