Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maureen43
    • By Maureen43 10th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 475Posts
    • 633Thanks
    Maureen43
    Anxiety and Counselling
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    Anxiety and Counselling 10th Jun 17 at 4:38 PM
    Hello All

I don't want to go into details but I need counselling (anxiety, low self esteem, food issues, issues about relationships...I think that's enough to be getting on with!)

I've been on the waiting list for Talking Therapies through the NHS (over the phone) for 8 months and enough is enough. I need to get my life back on track and I can't wait any longer.

A counsellor nearby is £65 per 1.5 hour session. For me that's a lot of money. I looked at healthcare plans but this would be a pre-existing condition so I wouldn't be covered.

Does anyone have any good idea on how I can bring the cost down?

Many thanks
    M.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 3,404 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    Some therapists offer a limited number of sessions at a reduced rate for those unable to afford the full cost. Alternatively some areas have reduced cost services staffed by (supervised) trainees.

Not sure where you are but in the Midlands £65 would be at the higher end of the scale, and 1.5 hours is a long session (45 mins - 1 hour would be more usual). Are there no others nearby?
    • Miss Spud
    • By Miss Spud 10th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Miss Spud
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    Hello. I too am suffering badly from anxiety and am waiting for an NHS referal which won't be for another couple of months.
    I got made redundant unexpectedly from my job 2 weeks ago to add to the worries. (Not because of my issues).
    I like you need to be doing something whilst waiting and after research am going to try a meditation class which focuses on mindfulness techniques next week. Have been speaking to the tutor and she assures me this can help people with anxiety and stress related issues if you are prepared to practice the techniques daily and recommends going for 8 weeks. Not sure if this could be something for you to look into as where I am the 8 weeks will be the same cost as your therapy session.
    I believe the NHS use cognitive behaviour therapy techniques and have been trying to do some of the free exercises on the Internet.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 10th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 6,148 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    I read a news article about the NHS working with local libraries to ensure that their self help books were well chosen. You could ask what the library has.

If you work for a larger employer, you may find that they offer some phone help through an employee assistance scheme.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • asajj
    • By asajj 10th Jun 17, 11:52 PM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    asajj
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:52 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:52 PM
    Have you tried mindfulness sessions? Not sure where you are but you can get some free or cheap sessions through Meetup.com and also you can get some apps or Youtube videos to start with.
    That might help you while waiting. Alternatively, you can look for reduced rates as some therapists offer them. Good luck.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 11th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    BucksLady
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    My husband is a GP and has found that Tai Chi has helped many of his patients who suffer from anxiety and stress. Might be worth looking into whilst you wait for your appointment.
    Hope everything works out well for you
    • Auntie-Dolly
    • By Auntie-Dolly 11th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    Auntie-Dolly
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    That seems expensive. We were paying £33 for a 50 minute session
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 11th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    Contessa
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    For help with relationship issues you could go to Marriage Care. They don't have a set fee but instead ask for donations.
    • command
    • By command 11th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    command
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    Some charities, e.g. Anxiety UK, offer reduced cost therapies if you take their membership. Maybe something worth looking at.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Yoga with visualisation does help. For the latter you imagine yourself in a pleasant situation such as floating on a lily pad or sitting by a log fire in cosy room, while a storm blows outside and the concentration needed distracts your mind from worrying.

You can actually do visualisation by yourself, if you don't go to a class/group.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 12th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 16,065 Posts
    • 39,930 Thanks
    FBaby
    Try http://www.cbttherapies.org.uk/
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 13th Jun 17, 1:11 AM
    • 12,233 Posts
    • 11,535 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Google 'Low Fee Therapy' and your area and you should be able to pull up a few places to try, just make sure they are BACP registered first and if you can, try a few therapists before making up your mind who you want to work with, it's not a one-man-suits all type of deal.
    • JessaEra
    • By JessaEra 13th Jun 17, 8:22 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    JessaEra
    As many points had been laid out in this thread, I suggest you find another option that can give you a relief on your current situation. You can read articles online which are all about ways on performing proper meditation, yoga and tai chi which are best options for your anxiety problems. On the other hand, I guess there are still free counselling in your place. Just ask further on someone you've known that can accompany you there. Good luck in your future endeavors.
    • Lukoind
    • By Lukoind 13th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lukoind
    Have you tried going to gym? I have been able to solve many problems (low esteem, anxiety, etc.) by working out ~5-6 times a week. In the end your counseller might suggest you to go to the gym.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 13th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 25,990 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    My GP suggested to me that seeing a therapist could be helpful. That was in February, I had my first appointment the next month at my GP practice. Shocked that you've had to wait so long. Last year I had a few sessions with a counsellor, again at the surgery.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 13th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    ska lover
    I hope no one finds this to be a trigger or anything im just being honest

I tried the NHS talking therapies for long term anxiety and I can honestly say after three months of it I was much worse off, MUCH worse. I did not find talking / raking over stuff, with a stranger, to be any help.

The first therapist I had when I was having a crisis and she seemed to struggle staying calm and was virtually hysterical when I mentioned self harm, and in the end I had to apologize to her and down grade my self harm risk to REDUCE HER PANIC. I felt like I was the more rational of the two of us. It was absolutely awful and I was more worried about her, than I was myself. I had to lie about how bad I was, in order to placate the therapist.

I asked to be moved on to another therapist who would call late every time, which is no good when I'm on a hour long lunch break and she rings 40 mins late. This woman was quite patronizing I felt and I felt she didn't believe me and kept asking me the same questions over and again, but worded slightly differently as if she was trying to trip m e up

These appointments were massive triggers for me, I could be having a good day, but being forced to re-live stuff is hard. I would start off a day OK but be an emotional wreck in the afternoon. It is very difficult to explain deep feelngs and long term issues to a telephone counselor in a half an hour appt

In the end I asked them to stop ringing and then tried Private, very expensive counseling, which I didn't enjoy at all, I lasted six sessions. I felt self conscious and all I got out of that was ''what do you think you should do about this''

I took up meditation and mindfulness which helps more. I don't have to speak to anyone. Raking over old embers just makes them burn more brightly if you ask me

Sincere apologies if this has upset anyone but im just pointing out don't put all your eggs in one basket and expect it to cure you, like I did
    Last edited by ska lover; 13-06-2017 at 5:15 PM.
    Blah blah blah.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I hope no one finds this to be a trigger or anything im just being honest

I tried the NHS talking therapies for long term anxiety and I can honestly say after three months of it I was much worse off, MUCH worse. I did not find talking / raking over stuff, with a stranger, to be any help.

The first therapist I had when I was having a crisis and she seemed to struggle staying calm and was virtually hysterical when I mentioned self harm, and in the end I had to apologize to her and down grade my self harm risk to REDUCE HER PANIC. I felt like I was the more rational of the two of us. It was absolutely awful and I was more worried about her, than I was myself. I had to lie about how bad I was, in order to placate the therapist.

I asked to be moved on to another therapist who would call late every time, which is no good when I'm on a hour long lunch break and she rings 40 mins late. This woman was quite patronizing I felt and I felt she didn't believe me and kept asking me the same questions over and again, but worded slightly differently as if she was trying to trip m e up

These appointments were massive triggers for me, I could be having a good day, but being forced to re-live stuff is hard. I would start off a day OK but be an emotional wreck in the afternoon. It is very difficult to explain deep feelngs and long term issues to a telephone counselor in a half an hour appt

In the end I asked them to stop ringing and then tried Private, very expensive counseling, which I didn't enjoy at all, I lasted six sessions. I felt self conscious and all I got out of that was ''what do you think you should do about this''

I took up meditation and mindfulness which helps more. I don't have to speak to anyone. Raking over old embers just makes them burn more brightly if you ask me

Sincere apologies if this has upset anyone but im just pointing out don't put all your eggs in one basket and expect it to cure you, like I did
    Originally posted by ska lover

I agree with you. My upset was over something that could not be remedied , so talking just rubbed it in, whereas the away from it all yoga, followed by a short informal tea and biscuits group chat (not about problems and we never knew what each other's problems were) really helped me to relax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,525Users online

Martin's Twitter