Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TeaRex
    • By TeaRex 10th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 39Thanks
    TeaRex
    Caught Speeding - New Rules? Any Advice/Experience?
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    Caught Speeding - New Rules? Any Advice/Experience? 10th Jun 17 at 4:06 PM
    Hey everybody, hoping someone has some experience of the new rules around speeding that can help?!

I was caught speeding on the 16th May, 45 in a 30. It was in my local area with a handheld gun. Its no excuse and its my own fault, totally hold my hands up as I got caught twice in a short space last year and have been so careful since then but I think they got me just where it goes from a 40 down to a 30. Not looking for a lecture anyway, just some sensible replies from people who have been through the new rules recently.

I received the Notice of Intended Prosecution(?) on the 7th June, dated 5th June. My car is a company car through my work so they had sent it to the lease company first who named me, thats why I have only just found out.

Now heres the question - Has anyone had any experience of the new rules? What am I likely to be offered?

I have 6 points already (3 from Feb 16 and 3 from April 16)
    From what I have seen online I am looking at a fine of 75-125% of my weekly wage and 4-6 points OR a 7-21 day ban but every article seems to say different things, can't find anything from people who have ACTUALLY been caught since the new rules.

I also got caught on April 22nd 2014 (first offence) but took the course in June 2014 so I don't think Im applicable for that. Plus I think I would only be offered the course if it was 42mph or less.

Any advice to ease my mind? I keep thinking worst case where I end up getting banned and losing my job etc. The thought of that makes me feel terrified and sick. Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 11th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 10,815 Thanks
    GwylimT
    So you live on a 20 limited dual-carriageway?
    Originally posted by Strider590
    No, but for some reason on satnavs the speed limit hasn't been updated since it changed from a 70mph single carriageway, to a 20mph one way road with parking one side. Obviously before becoming 20mph it must have gone down to 60mph, but that never showed on satnavs either.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 15,045 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    AdrianC
    ...since it changed from a 70mph single carriageway...
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    No such thing in the UK, and hasn't been since the oil crisis in the mid 70s.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 11th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 10,815 Thanks
    GwylimT
    No such thing in the UK, and hasn't been since the oil crisis in the mid 70s.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    If you read my post, you can clearly see that I have written that at some point the road reduced to 60mph (didn't live here then, so not sure of when the change was), as obviously as a single carriageway the speed limit on such a road was 70mph.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 15,045 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If you read my post, you can clearly see that I have written that at some point the road reduced to 60mph (didn't live here then, so not sure of when the change was), as obviously as a single carriageway the speed limit on such a road was 70mph.
    Yes, I know - and I'm telling you when the most recent time that change could have been was. The 70mph blanket limit was reduced for the oil crisis, and never reinstated to single carriageway roads afterwards. The maximum any single carriageway could legally be since the mid 70s is 60mph.

Now, your satnav may well pre-date that time, but...

I rather suspect that the real reason for the erroneous 70mph claim is that there was no information on the road in the database, so it defaulted to the highest known legal speed for the country. This is one of many reasons why it's very unwise to rely too heavily on such devices.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 11th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    Richard53
    No, but for some reason on satnavs the speed limit hasn't been updated since it changed from a 70mph single carriageway, to a 20mph one way road with parking one side.
    One thing to remember: the map of speed limits appears to be whatever was sent to the mapping organisation at the time the map was last updated. My Tomtom had a mystery 40 mph section on a local road that was clearly NSL for its whole length. Turns out it was restricted to 40 during road works a couple of years before.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 11th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    I think I am being misinterpreted.
    The National Speed Limit is 60 mph for single-carriageway roads, and 70 mph for dual carriageway roads, so they don't have numbers. In the Isle of Man, the black diagonal on a white circle genuinely means no limit.
    Even though they have no numbers, there are repeater signs at various internals, confirming this.

The point I'm making is that except for motorways, and 30 mph areas, there are always repeaters ; so if you haven't seen a sign for a while, and you know you aren't on a motorway, that's what the limit will be.

Challenge : post a link to a Google Streetview image of a repeater ( small ) 30 mph sign.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 15,045 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The point I'm making is that except for motorways, and 30 mph areas, there are always repeaters ; so if you haven't seen a sign for a while, and you know you aren't on a motorway, that's what the limit will be.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Nope.

If there are no repeaters, but there are street lights at regular intervals, it's a 30mph limit.
    If there are no repeaters, no streetlights, and it's a single carriageway, it's a 60mph limit.
    If there are no repeaters, no streetlights, and it's a dual carriageway, it's a 70mph limit.
    If there are no repeaters, and it's a motorway (regardless of streetlights), it's a 70mph limit.

Challenge : post a link to a Google Streetview image of a repeater ( small ) 30 mph sign.
    Any 30mph limit without streetlights needs repeaters.
    https://goo.gl/maps/5opQXsUQYJB2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 15,045 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    AdrianC
    ...and, just as a reminder...

This is a single carriageway:

This is a dual carriageway:

Count the carriageways, not the lanes...
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 12th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Ha, says the guy who drives a super bike

Originally posted by docmatt
    Ah, but the reason I don't get caught speeding is because I pay attention to the speed limits. I actually was caught last June, and since then I've been paranoid about speeding - something the OP seems to struggle with due to basically not being aware of the limit or their speed.

I know what the speed limit is and when it comes to those that are (and should be) rigorously enforced in urban areas, at accident blackspots, and the like, I stick religiously to them (benefit of a superbike with cruise control).

Sure, out of town I may occasionally stray over 60MPH, but the main reason I own the bike I own is because I WANT to, not because I can ride around at 150MPH everywhere. There's tracks for that - my road riding is pretty sedate; that's why I tend to do most of my riding alone, no pressure to 'perform' that way.
    Last edited by BeenThroughItAll; 12-06-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 12th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Well done AdrianC for finding that.

However :
    If there are no repeaters, no streetlights, and it's a single carriageway, it's a 60mph limit.
    The village of Finstock, 10 miles North West of Oxford is 30 mph througout, based on the signs as you enter ; but it has neither streetlights nor repeater signs.

Managed motorways are a problem.
    If a stretch is being managed down to 40 mph, but has a section of roadworks with boards showing 50, I wouldn't like to argue that from any 50 mph board to the next gantry, I can go faster.
    I also wouldn't like to argue that if just one lane has a blank sign, I can stay at 70, when it is more likely to be defective.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 12th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    This is a dual carriageway:
    That has caught me out before. I was stuck behind a lorry for a while, then relieved to see a "dual carriageway ahead" sign ; which turned out to be two single lanes.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 12:24 AM
    • 15,045 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The village of Finstock, 10 miles North West of Oxford is 30 mph througout, based on the signs as you enter ; but it has neither streetlights nor repeater signs.
    Would that be THIS Finstock?
    https://goo.gl/maps/qZiHu4SLwqB2
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 13th Jun 17, 1:46 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Would that be THIS Finstock?
    https://goo.gl/maps/qZiHu4SLwqB2
    Yes it is, but my reply has to be at least 10 characters.
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 13th Jun 17, 2:19 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    LABMAN
    Yes it is, but my reply has to be at least 10 characters.
    Yes it is.
    Je suis Parisien
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 7:52 AM
    • 15,045 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Quite a few 30 repeaters through the village...
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 13th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    MEM62
    Ah, but the reason I don't get caught speeding is because I pay attention to the speed limits. I actually was caught last June, and since then I've been paranoid about speeding - something the OP seems to struggle with due to basically not being aware of the limit or their speed.

I know what the speed limit is and when it comes to those that are (and should be) rigorously enforced in urban areas, at accident blackspots, and the like, I stick religiously to them (benefit of a superbike with cruise control).

Sure, out of town I may occasionally stray over 60MPH, but the main reason I own the bike I own is because I WANT to, not because I can ride around at 150MPH everywhere. There's tracks for that - my road riding is pretty sedate; that's why I tend to do most of my riding alone, no pressure to 'perform' that way.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    @BeenThroughIt All You cannot educate the uninitiated. Your average car driver would never be able to appreciate the level of skill (and restraint!) required to ride a big capacity motorcycle. My father always held the opinion that that all those wanting a car license should spend a year on two wheels first. Of course, that's completely unworkable but it's easy to understand why he held that view.
    • nortong
    • By nortong 13th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    nortong
    Buy or get your company to supply a BMW, round here they seem to be immune from normal traffic rules and regulations - speeding, overtaking on the inside, tail gating all allowed by your friendly BMW. Aggressive driving - even better!!
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Buy or get your company to supply a BMW, round here they seem to be immune from normal traffic rules and regulations - speeding, overtaking on the inside, tail gating all allowed by your friendly BMW. Aggressive driving - even better!!
    Originally posted by nortong
    You want those open or wrapped? Salt and vinegar?
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 13th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    docmatt

Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    I know mate and completely understand. I'm like you and I'm watching out for cameras/vans all the time. Paranoid as hell. I've always been into my bikes but the wife won't let me have one due to an unfortunate family incident 10 years ago. The car I do have though is pretty insane (summer use only). We find that it suits both my mate and I (he has the same car as me) if we meet up on a weekend morning at about 5am and we drive till about 7am where the only thing up at that time with a heartbeat are birds and rabbits.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I know mate and completely understand. I'm like you and I'm watching out for cameras/vans all the time. Paranoid as hell. I've always been into my bikes but the wife won't let me have one due to an unfortunate family incident 10 years ago. The car I do have though is pretty insane (summer use only). We find that it suits both my mate and I (he has the same car as me) if we meet up on a weekend morning at about 5am and we drive till about 7am where the only thing up at that time with a heartbeat are birds and rabbits.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    Early mornings this time of year are about the best time to be on the roads. Not too hot, fewer idiots about and good way to relieve stress before work :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,264Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin