Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hitting
    • By Hitting 10th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Hitting
    Joint Names
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    Joint Names 10th Jun 17 at 3:55 PM
    Would it be advantageous to have accounts/billing in joint names to make things easier,less urgent to attend to in the event of death of spouse.Currently I have a number of regular billing arrangements in my sole name,...such as Energy bills,Water rates,Council tax,House insurance,etc.......would it help if I amended these to joint accounts?
    I realise the organisations involved would need to be informed if one joint holder passed away,but presumably this would not need to be done immediately on death?
Page 1
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 10th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 6,802 Thanks
    The Last Username
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    Someone with experience and knowledge may be better-placed than I to advise appropriately, but here are my thoughts.

FWIW it's not only death of a spouse that needs to be considered; long-term illness or loss of faculties are just two examples of further reasons why the person may not be able to appropriately manage their affairs.

In my experience companies will not (and indeed often have told me that legally they cannot) in any way discuss an account with anyone other than the account holder.
    It may therefore be expedient to have all accounts wherever possible in joint names.
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 7,503 Posts
    • 25,288 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    It might help in some cases but some accounts like gas, electricity, water may only allow an account to be opened in one name and if the deceased spouse is the account holder a new account will have to be set up in the name of the survivor. I discovered this when a I wanted to have joint utility bills to use as identity/address verification for money laundering purposes when opening new savings accounts . joint bank accounts can generally continue operating on the death of one signatory. Obviously this should never be regarded as an easy alternative to having a proper will.but setting up direct debits for utilities on a joint account does make administration easier for the survivor.

The other thing, if all your affairs are generally dealt with online is to print off the occasional paper copy of a bill and keep it filed so that the surviving spouse has a paper record of utility address, account number, etc without online searching to know who to sort to sort out any administration.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 7,503 Posts
    • 25,288 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    And another thing to consider in the case of debilitating illness of one partner rather than death, especially if accounts arn't in joint names is to set up Financial and Property apowers of Attorney for each other. With possibly another attorney in case you are both hurt together in a car accident or something and can't act for each other. If you're not familiar with these read up about them on the office of Public Guardian website. You don't need to go through a solicitor. Yiu can complete these forms yourself online on the website. Yiu just have to read the instructions carefully and ensure the forms are signed, witnessed and dated in the correct order.
    • Hitting
    • By Hitting 10th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Hitting
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    I think the advice I'm getting is that where possible it is advantageous to have joint arrangements!
    • CIS
    • By CIS 10th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 9,859 Posts
    • 5,636 Thanks
    CIS
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    Would it be advantageous to have accounts/billing in joint names to make things easier,less urgent to attend to in the event of death of spouse.Currently I have a number of regular billing arrangements in my sole name,...such as Energy bills,Water rates,Council tax,House insurance,etc.......would it help if I amended these to joint accounts?
    I realise the organisations involved would need to be informed if one joint holder passed away,but presumably this would not need to be done immediately on death?
    Originally posted by Hitting
    If you have a resident spouse or partner then they should already be listed on the council tax demand as being jointly liable as per legislation (with a few exceptions)

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,730Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin