Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 428Posts
    • 337Thanks
    z1a
    Karma.
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    Karma. 10th Jun 17 at 2:40 PM
    Just loading our weekly shop on the conveyor when I saw an item left on shelf at end of conveyor. Asked the couple in front if it was theirs, she looked at me as if to say "What's it to you?", He says yes, and holds his hand out for it. Not another word.
    As soon as our shopping started to come through I noticed he had left his card in reader, so I thought OK, I'll not notice 'til we come to pay, by which time I hope they were in their car and away. Handed card to cashier.
    Can only hope that they didn't realise until much later, and it seriously inconveniences them.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 12-06-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Language
Page 2
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 12th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 8,116 Thanks
    uberalles
    Amusing event in Iceland this morning.

I go in there early to get meat items reduced at half price for the mutt. Normally there are two of us, me and another chap and we courteously take turns.

This morning a 3rd fella turns up and we all wait outside, me at the front. The store manager opened the exit door first and this fella rushes in that door and takes all the reduced meat, about 10 packets. He was none too impressed when he was swiftly relieved of the said items but did manage to keep two packets of pork that we did not want.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 12th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Don't people annoy you sometimes. I was in the supermarket and accidentally left
    my card in the reader when i paid. The people behind me must have noticed, but never said a word. I've had to get in touch with my bank now, stop that card and wait until the new one arrives.
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 12th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2,505 Posts
    • 5,574 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    I've just come back from Tesco, and a nice young man offered to reach some juice for me as he saw me struggling. I thanked him and he smiled. I pointed out that it was on special offer - he said oh good I'll take some for myself.

My conclusion is, that there are some helpful and respectful young people and they don't all hate older people. So lets all be nice to one another and stop this young v old debate (on D.T.)
    Holding back the years...
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 26,548 Posts
    • 96,316 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Something on their minds wouldn't stop most people being courteous.
    Originally posted by z1a
    It could do, actually, if it were bad enough.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • dontone
    • By dontone 14th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    dontone
    While we're on the subject of shopping in supermarkets, somebody was letting his little boy ride his bike in the small local supermarket today. It was causing chaos, as people (myself included) had to step out of the way quickly to avoid getting run over by the bike. If it were me I would have got the boy to tie the bike up outside. Is it me? Why would someone allow their child to ride a bike in a shop?!
    Originally posted by avogadro
    Our local supermarket had a problem with kids riding scooters in the shop, so they promptly banned them. The kids had to leave them outside - so they blocked the doorway. So that's has been stopped too.
    Now, parents let their brats, er, I mean, little darlings wheel those mini trolley/baskets around to make up for it. Some of them even let them get the small baskets and let them swing them around. I once saw someone have their knee bashed in by a kid doing that, the sound wasn't pleasant - neither was the tirade by the bloke at the mother of the kid for not apologising.
    I hate supermarkets.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 15th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 8,116 Thanks
    uberalles
    I hate supermarkets.
    Originally posted by dontone
    Supermarkets are the only shopping I like, I'm addicted to bargains, I won't do any other.

So much so I'm currently having to hide 15 large tubs of Cadbury's hot chocolate in the loft so my missus can't nag me.
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 15th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 7,575 Posts
    • 30,606 Thanks
    Flick216
    Horrible. Why sink to their level and anyway how do you know they didn't have something else awful on their minds, a tragedy or something. I've just filled in a survey about typical British behaviour, wish I'd read this first - my answers would've been different. Destroys your faith a bit to read this.
    Originally posted by Eliza
    Something on their minds wouldn't stop most people being courteous.
    Originally posted by z1a
    It could do, actually, if it were bad enough.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I'm with z1a here - that wasn't just a lack of courtesy (which may have been just taking said item without saying thanks) - this was just plain, intended rudeness.

I have been in many awful situations, I have been severely depressed, lost 3 parents in the space of 4 years - I have NEVER found cause to be openly rude to someone in that manner. I may have been thoughtless and perhaps not thanked someone when I should have done because my head was somewhere else - but choosing to respond in the way these people did is intended, deliberate rudeness.
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 15th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 4,480 Thanks
    avogadro
    Don't people annoy you sometimes. I was in the supermarket and accidentally left
    my card in the reader when i paid. The people behind me must have noticed, but never said a word. I've had to get in touch with my bank now, stop that card and wait until the new one arrives.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    It's easily done. Usually the card gets handed to the cashier, but you can't guarantee some dishonest person won't come along and just take it.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 23,633 Posts
    • 50,237 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    The thing that annoys the t*ts off me in the supermarket is when the person behind you starts loading their stuff onto the conveyor before you've finished loading your own stuff. Erm, excuse me, I'm going to need more room than the mere 12 inches of conveyor you've left me for the rest of my shopping.
    Originally posted by onlyroz

I've never had that but I do get annoyed at folks who can make six items of shopping fill the entire conveyor so that I have no chance to put any of my stuff on it until theirs has all been whizzed through.

Also all the people, usually women, who seem utterly surprised to be asked to pay and immediately start rummaging in their bag to find a smaller bag that they then rummage in to find their purse and then empty half the contents of their purse to find their loyalty card and then the other half to find their debit card. Is it too difficult to find them out while waiting in line?
    • z1a
    • By z1a 15th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    z1a
    "Also all the people, usually women, who seem utterly surprised to be asked to pay and immediately start rummaging in their bag to find a smaller bag that they then rummage in to find their purse and then empty half the contents of their purse to find their loyalty card and then the other half to find their debit card. Is it too difficult to find them out while waiting in line?"

This is also very annoying.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 15th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    z1a
    Whilst we're on the subject of shops, I know this will be controversial, pensioners who insist on doing a basket full of shopping at lunch time, when workers want to nip in for a bit of lunch.
    Pensioners should be banned from shops & post offices between noon and 1:30.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 15th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 4,480 Thanks
    avogadro
    Originally posted by z1a

When I had a job in a supermarket many years ago, the pensioners all used to queue up outside at 8am, waiting for the doors to open. We (as youngsters) could never work out why, when they've got all day to do their shopping, they felt the need to get there so early.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 15th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Whilst we're on the subject of shops, I know this will be controversial, pensioners who insist on doing a basket full of shopping at lunch time, when workers want to nip in for a bit of lunch.
    Pensioners should be banned from shops & post offices between noon and 1:30. Posted by z1a
    Some may have an ulterior motive. I wasn't particularly in a rush, but the people behind me had started muttering because the elderly lady being served didn't have enough money to pay for all her goods and was deliberating on what to put back. I felt so sorry for her, I gave her the money she needed. 10 minutes later I saw her at the kiosk buying cigarettes.

I won't fall for that one again!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 26,548 Posts
    • 96,316 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by z1a

That's sooooo funny!

(Perhaps they can invent a nasty sound that only pensioners can hear! That'd keep them away!
    Or better still, play that ghastly techno "music"! )

When I had a job in a supermarket many years ago, the pensioners all used to queue up outside at 8am, waiting for the doors to open. We (as youngsters) could never work out why, when they've got all day to do their shopping, they felt the need to get there so early.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    When you're awake at 5 am, 8am is like the middle of the day! Things to do, people to see, get the boring shopping out of the way first!

Either that, of they're there for the cheap cooked breakfasts as well!

Or, could they be sparing the later times so that people who are working can nip in in their lunch breaks without being held up by pensioners?
    Last edited by Pyxis; 15-06-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    I can only guess that you were rude to them in some way - otherwise I'd like to think they'd have bought it to your attention.
    • koexelek
    • By koexelek 15th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 7,596 Posts
    • 16,094 Thanks
    koexelek
    "Also all the people, usually women, who seem utterly surprised to be asked to pay and immediately start rummaging in their bag to find a smaller bag that they then rummage in to find their purse and then empty half the contents of their purse to find their loyalty card and then the other half to find their debit card. Is it too difficult to find them out while waiting in line?"

Originally posted by z1a
    Number one most annoying thing that happens at check outs.

Do they honestly just think they will be allowed to take the shopping without paying ?
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 15th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    dontone

Originally posted by z1a
    I have to admit this made me laugh 'Cos it's true.
    I had a lady in front of me yesterday in the long queue in the paper shop who wanted a small bottle of pop. Then while in the queue, she asked the lady who was stacking the shelves if it was okay to drink some of it 'cos she had health issues and didn't want to faint. The woman said it was okay, just pay for it as usual.Then when she went up to pay, she started going on about her health, then took another swig, and the woman at the till asked about 3 times for the amount to pay. She hadn't even got her purse out to pay, so we all had to wait for her to open her handbag, have a rummage, pause, have a swig of pop, find the purse, then count out pennies.
    And during all this, the woman at the till just had her hand out waiting patiently
    I'm sure the woman who wanted the drink in the first place thought that if she drank half of it, she only would have to pay for half. I don't know if she had issues or not, and yesterday was rather warm, but some of them don't half try it on. I dread to think what would have happened if she did have a loyalty card.
    Last edited by dontone; 15-06-2017 at 9:05 PM.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,155Posts Today

7,729Users online

Martin's Twitter