Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 639Posts
    • 492Thanks
    z1a
    Karma.
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    Karma. 10th Jun 17 at 2:40 PM
    Just loading our weekly shop on the conveyor when I saw an item left on shelf at end of conveyor. Asked the couple in front if it was theirs, she looked at me as if to say "What's it to you?", He says yes, and holds his hand out for it. Not another word.
    As soon as our shopping started to come through I noticed he had left his card in reader, so I thought OK, I'll not notice 'til we come to pay, by which time I hope they were in their car and away. Handed card to cashier.
    Can only hope that they didn't realise until much later, and it seriously inconveniences them.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 12-06-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Language
Page 1
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 10th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 3,331 Posts
    • 5,687 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    I accidentally got in a woman's way in Morrisons this morning. If looks could kill! Either supermarkets attract people who are devoid of manners or today is jinxed for some reason!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    z1a
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    This was Morrisons as well, in Blackburn.
    • Eliza
    • By Eliza 10th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    Eliza
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    Horrible. Why sink to their level and anyway how do you know they didn't have something else awful on their minds, a tragedy or something. I've just filled in a survey about typical British behaviour, wish I'd read this first - my answers would've been different. Destroys your faith a bit to read this.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 12-06-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    z1a
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    Horrible. Why sink to their level and anyway how do you know they didn't have something else awful on their minds, a tragedy or something. I've just filled in a survey about typical British behaviour, wish I'd read this first - my answers would've been different. Destroys your faith a bit to read this.
    Originally posted by Eliza
    Something on their minds wouldn't stop most people being courteous.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 49,945 Posts
    • 136,591 Thanks
    colinw
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    Yup I can understand why you would do that
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 12-06-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 10th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    squiggles
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    I wonder what your karma will be.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 10th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3,331 Posts
    • 5,687 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    The card wasn't stolen, presumably the OP handed it to the cashier. Had they handed it to the rude people they would in all likelihood have been subjected to more rudeness.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 6,579 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    Since we moved to Devon in 2004 we've noticed how friendly and polite everyone is. This morning we went to the farm shop and the queue to pay was long. Instead of moaning people got chatting and when we got back to our car a couple waved at us as if we were old friends. We'd only met them a few minutes before in the queue
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 10th Jun 17, 7:46 PM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 25,571 Thanks
    onlyroz
    The thing that annoys the t*ts off me in the supermarket is when the person behind you starts loading their stuff onto the conveyor before you've finished loading your own stuff. Erm, excuse me, I'm going to need more room than the mere 12 inches of conveyor you've left me for the rest of my shopping.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    z1a
    I wonder what your karma will be.
    Originally posted by squiggles
    Being able to hear the racket from an Elton John concert going on from my house.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 10th Jun 17, 9:44 PM
    • 18,505 Posts
    • 42,459 Thanks
    peachyprice
    The thing that annoys the t*ts off me in the supermarket is when the person behind you starts loading their stuff onto the conveyor before you've finished loading your own stuff. Erm, excuse me, I'm going to need more room than the mere 12 inches of conveyor you've left me for the rest of my shopping.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I'm right there with you.......... But not too close obviously!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    z1a
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Don't know what's worse, that, or people not putting the separator bar on the conveyor after them.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 10th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 18,505 Posts
    • 42,459 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Don't know what's worse, that, or people not putting the separator bar on the conveyor after them.
    Originally posted by z1a
    That doesn't bother me at all. But it obviously bothered the woman behind me today who squeezed herself past me, my trolley and the two people in front of me just to get her divider! If she'd have waited a few minutes for me to shuffle forward I'd have put it in place as soon a I could reach it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 10th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 15,602 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Since we moved to Devon in 2004 we've noticed how friendly and polite everyone is. This morning we went to the farm shop and the queue to pay was long. Instead of moaning people got chatting and when we got back to our car a couple waved at us as if we were old friends. We'd only met them a few minutes before in the queue
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Nice people attract other nice people - simples!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 11th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 7,879 Posts
    • 13,302 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    I'd have done the same as the OP; I don't like rudeness when shopping.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 59,969 Posts
    • 350,557 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... people not putting the separator bar on the conveyor after them.
    Originally posted by z1a
    I sometimes do that as I can't reach it yet - and as there are two people in front of me, I figure I'll reach it soon, there's no rush ... and a bigger (in all directions) person will quite often lean right over me, nudging me out of the way to grab at it! That's farquin rude.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 11th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 3,331 Posts
    • 5,687 Thanks
    avogadro
    While we're on the subject of shopping in supermarkets, somebody was letting his little boy ride his bike in the small local supermarket today. It was causing chaos, as people (myself included) had to step out of the way quickly to avoid getting run over by the bike. If it were me I would have got the boy to tie the bike up outside. Is it me? Why would someone allow their child to ride a bike in a shop?!
    • Youcandoit
    • By Youcandoit 12th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Youcandoit
    Being kind does work - I was in the queue in our local supermarket and there was a couple behind me. The man had a cold and was coughing so I offered him a cough sweet. He gratefully took it and as I was paying the lady handed the cashier a discount card. It turned out that she used to work for the supermarket chain and had a lifelong discount card so I saved £4.00 - not a bad return for a cough sweet!
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 12th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 8,235 Thanks
    uberalles
    Originally posted by z1a
    I've now stopped doing that.........since I concluded that the person in the queue behind me rarely has the courtesy to either say thank you or nod in appreciation. They can simply just wait. As per everything else, the growing few ruin it for the rest.

I always say thank you to everyone for most things, including somebody placing a separator bar on the conveyor.
    A heart that's...full up like a landfill...a job that slowly kills you...bruises that won't heal.
    He knows there's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    I got so tired of concluding that there's nothing for us to conclude.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin