Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 10th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 7Thanks
    the_mandarin
    Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet?
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet? 10th Jun 17 at 2:30 PM
    I had deposited some money in an ISA account with Halifax, that made me eligible for the Halifax Saver Prize Draw. That was more than 3 years ago and till date, I have not won a single prize! That makes me wonder if the Halifax Saver Prize Draw is all a farce.

In comparison, I win a £25 prize at least once a year (and sometimes more) with the NS&I Premium Bonds. This is in spite of having a higher amount invested in Halifax, as compared to NS&I.

Has anyone on the forum actually won anything with the Halifax Saver Prize Draw?
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Au contraire, a lottery is the perfect example of a pipe dream. When you buy a lottery ticket (or open a savings account which pays interest in lottery tickets instead of cash) you are buying a fantasy; the right to sit there dreaming about suddenly being rich, without actually doing anything that might lead to becoming rich. (Buying the lottery ticket doesn't count due to its infinitesimal probability.)

This is distinct from someone fantasising about getting rich by becoming a professional footballer or starting their own business or taking an Open University law degree, because there's a non-infinitestimal chance that their fantasy might lead to them actually going and doing it. Pipe dreams by contrast are the kind of dreams you have while lying in bed smoking an opium pipe, that lead to nothing as they vanish with the stupor.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Au contraire, a lottery is the perfect example of a pipe dream. When you buy a lottery ticket (or open a savings account which pays interest in lottery tickets instead of cash) you are buying a fantasy; the right to sit there dreaming about suddenly being rich, without actually doing anything that might lead to becoming rich. (Buying the lottery ticket doesn't count due to its infinitesimal probability.)

This is distinct from someone fantasising about getting rich by becoming a professional footballer or starting their own business or taking an Open University law degree, because there's a non-infinitestimal chance that their fantasy might lead to them actually going and doing it. Pipe dreams by contrast are the kind of dreams you have while lying in bed smoking an opium pipe, that lead to nothing as they vanish with the stupor.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    Er, no, not a pipe dream for 71,900 people - no vanishing with the stupor for them:

We’ve already paid out over £42.9 million in prizes so far to 71,900 winners across Great Britain
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Malthusian
    You don't buy lottery tickets because you dream of winning £100. The pipe dream is the £500,000 and the chance of winning it is infinitesimal.
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 17th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    the_mandarin

Funnily enough, I have won the lottery on more than one occasion although I do not buy the lottery tickets regularly. I do admit that the amounts that I won in the lottery were small, but the point is that I still won something back. This just confirms my suspicion that the Halifax Savers Draw is hardly appealing as a scheme to attract savers, which is perhaps what newer members wanting to park their money in Halifax might want to know.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 5,269 Thanks
    eskbanker
    But it's hardly news that with the National Lottery, Premium Bonds and Halifax's prize draw, there is a small chance of winning something.

In each case, these institutions publish information about the prize fund and its allocation so the actual odds of winning something will inevitably vary, but you seem to be trying to differentiate the Halifax draw solely on the basis that you don't personally know any winners!
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 17th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    the_mandarin
    Not knowing anyone personally made me suspicious, but the replies on this forum, in some ways, confirmed by suspicions.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 6,841 Posts
    • 8,428 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Not knowing anyone personally made me suspicious, but the replies on this forum, in some ways, confirmed by suspicions.
    Originally posted by the_mandarin
    Ray Sutton won £300,000.
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3025526/We-won-300-000-bank-s-Superdraw-feel-lucky-s-time-play-raft-accounts-scoop-big-prizes-without-risk.html

Winning a lottery jackpot is 14 million to one.

Winning a Halifax jackpot is approximately 2 million to one.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 17th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 13,829 Thanks
    Westie983
    A customer in the area won the 100,000 and he bought a grey parrot called Halifax.

I see about 4 customers a month claiming prizes, but never the high amount, but the super draw made more people winners, its sold as a lottery type of savings, and no pressure to keep money in accounts if you want to move the money.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £18,855/£12,000 157.12%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£158/£500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £330/£365 = 90.41%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,350/£1,800 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £22,445/£16,665 = 134.68%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 5,269 Thanks
    eskbanker
    That's a pretty bizarre interpretation when you were trying to insinuate that nobody wins and yet, when all the other posters have explained that (a) there is plenty of clear evidence of winners and (b) the prize fund distribution is as transparent as such things can be, you're now trying to make out that you've been vindicated in some way! How does that work then?
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 17th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    the_mandarin
    That's a pretty bizarre interpretation when you were trying to insinuate that nobody wins and yet, when all the other posters have explained that (a) there is plenty of clear evidence of winners and (b) the prize fund distribution is as transparent as such things can be, you're now trying to make out that you've been vindicated in some way! How does that work then?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Firstly, this thread was started as a question with the sole purpose of asking if anyone on this forum had won anything.

Secondly, I am not promoting or advertising any kind of draw/lottery to compete with the Halifax draw, so whichever way the chips fall did not affect me in any way.

And lastly, I am not trying to vindicate myself as I never started off on a mission to prove anything in the first place. But I am sure I am within my rights to draw my own conclusions, based on the responses posted by other members. If you reach a different conclusion based on the same comments, that is your right and I have nothing to add to that.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 5,269 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, but if yours is "I think this competition is bent and nothing anyone can say will change my view" then it's misleading to pretend that it's "based on the facts posted it's logical to conclude that it's bent"!
    • roxy28
    • By roxy28 18th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    roxy28
    Posted this in 2014.

Postman knocked on the door to sign for a letter, letter from halifax to say take all your details to local branch because you have won a prize in the draw.
    Heart pounding all the way hoping for the big one, won just £100, better than nothing but felt deflated.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 18th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Stompa
    Female, aged 60, from Bradford? Then you're the typical winner in monthly Halifax Prize Draw – but are odds of winning the jackpot still better than Premium Bonds?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2667074/Does-Halifax-Prize-Draw-better-jackpot-odds-Premium-Bonds.html
    Stompa
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 19th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Malthusian
    And lastly, I am not trying to vindicate myself as I never started off on a mission to prove anything in the first place. But I am sure I am within my rights to draw my own conclusions, based on the responses posted by other members.
    If you just want to randomly draw conclusions according to your own biases rather than the evidence, then next time just slice up some chicken entrails and draw your conclusions from those, instead of wasting time asking people to post facts.
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 19th Jun 17, 10:11 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    the_mandarin
    Female, aged 60, from Bradford? Then you're the typical winner in monthly Halifax Prize Draw – but are odds of winning the jackpot still better than Premium Bonds?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2667074/Does-Halifax-Prize-Draw-better-jackpot-odds-Premium-Bonds.html
    Originally posted by Stompa
    That's an interesting and useful article - thanks for sharing
    • drlabman
    • By drlabman 20th Jun 17, 11:27 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    drlabman
    My son won £100 a couple of years ago. They keep you on tenterhooks though - the letter, which is sent registered post, only says that you've won and that you need to visit your branch with ID. So you get very excited until then.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 21st Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Malthusian
    I thought gambling was all about excitement though. Certainly that's what they tell me in the adverts.

Complaining that they got you excited but you hadn't actually won a life-changing sum of money is like complaining that alcohol lowered your inhibitions but didn't make you more attractive or a better dancer.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 5,269 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I thought gambling was all about excitement though. Certainly that's what they tell me in the adverts.
    When the fun stops, stop......moaning?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

649Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter