Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 10th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 7Thanks
    the_mandarin
    Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet?
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet? 10th Jun 17 at 2:30 PM
    I had deposited some money in an ISA account with Halifax, that made me eligible for the Halifax Saver Prize Draw. That was more than 3 years ago and till date, I have not won a single prize! That makes me wonder if the Halifax Saver Prize Draw is all a farce.

In comparison, I win a £25 prize at least once a year (and sometimes more) with the NS&I Premium Bonds. This is in spite of having a higher amount invested in Halifax, as compared to NS&I.

Has anyone on the forum actually won anything with the Halifax Saver Prize Draw?
Page 1
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 10th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    You could simply look at their winners page: https://www.saversregistration.co.uk/welcome/Winners/National
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 10th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    the_mandarin
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    You could simply look at their winners page: https://www.saversregistration.co.uk/welcome/Winners/National
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    I have, but these are just numbers. I am yet to hear from a single person who has won anything here. Most of my friends/colleagues have Halifax accounts and have registered for this, but none have won anything.

On the page you have mentioned, there is a link to "claim" a prize. Not sure if that means you get notified by emai/post of winning a prize and then need to raise a claim. But then again, there does not seem to be any means of checking if you have won on their website
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 10th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    I have never won anything big through any Prize Draw.

I suspect I need to advertise:

"Will share Prize Money with corrupt Prize Draw Invigilators. Must have own Swiss bank account."

Bonnie Langford did pick my card, and I won a Lyons coffee bag branded coffee mug. I used it in all my office jobs for coffee, but never bought any Lyons coffee bags, except the free ones that came in the package.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 10th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    I have, but these are just numbers. I am yet to hear from a single person who has won anything here. Most of my friends/colleagues have Halifax accounts and have registered for this, but none have won anything.

On the page you have mentioned, there is a link to "claim" a prize. Not sure if that means you get notified by emai/post of winning a prize and then need to raise a claim. But then again, there does not seem to be any means of checking if you have won on their website
    Originally posted by the_mandarin
    If I recall correctly they write to you if you have won. Indeed it says so quite clearly in their faqs:

How do I find out if I've won?
    Within one month of the date of each monthly draw we will write to potential winners who have been selected and checked against our records, using the last known postal address that we have on our records. We may also try to contact potential winners by other means, such as telephone or e mail, where we have these details.
    The 'Claim' tab on their website requires, as you'll have seen if you've looked at it, the claim code from your letter. So if you aint had a letter you aint won anything.

I can't really see why you're worrying that you don't know anyone who's won a prize, or why you compare it to premium bonds. The vast majority of people entered won't win, and the stats of, and your experience of, premium bonds will probably be very different. Halifax won't give you stats on likelihood of winning, so you simply can't tell at all whether odds are comparable to bonds.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 10th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    msallen
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    That makes me wonder if the Halifax Saver Prize Draw is all a farce.
    Its bound to be a farce. I mean what has a major high street bank to lose by pretending to offer a prize draw when they don't really ever pay out

In comparison, I win a £25 prize at least once a year (and sometimes more) with the NS&I Premium Bonds. This is in spite of having a higher amount invested in Halifax, as compared to NS&I.
    The Halifax pays out prizes as a far cheaper way of attracting the gullible to save with it rather than paying more competitive interest rates. Premium Bonds pay out prizes in lieu of interest. They are not comparable.
    • KonkyWonky
    • By KonkyWonky 10th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    KonkyWonky
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:09 PM

I heard on the grapevine that old Beryl at number 44 won a few quid.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Jun 17, 12:53 AM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 5,025 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:53 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:53 AM
    I had deposited some money in an ISA account with Halifax, that made me eligible for the Halifax Saver Prize Draw. That was more than 3 years ago and till date, I have not won a single prize! That makes me wonder if the Halifax Saver Prize Draw is all a farce.

Has anyone on the forum actually won anything with the Halifax Saver Prize Draw?
    In terms of the huge variance in scale, Halifax pays 1,603 prizes per month while Premium Bonds pay 2,329,721, so for every Halifax prizewinner there are nearly 1,500 premium bond prizewinners....
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 11th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 10,185 Posts
    • 9,277 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    A friend got the word she had won and could she come in branch and bring ID. We thought it was a BIG win as we went down there,sat in a side office whilst computers were tapped, documents shuffled and checked and then they confirmed she had won a trifling amount and paid her out,,gutted,
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 6,697 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    There are better homes for your £5,000+ to be saved.

A couple of years back I calculated the average payout to be worth around 0.03% if you held the minimum qualifying balance. It's probably less than that now if they have more registered customers.
    • phred
    • By phred 11th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    phred
    I won £100 a few years ago.
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 11th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    My son won £25 a few years ago.
    Ethical moneysaver
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 11th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    longleggedhair
    Me & my mother were both in it from day one until a few months ago. Neither of us won a penny.
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 11th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Myself, my brother and my parents held around £10k each in qualifying accounts for many years and never won anything. I'd honestly forgotten all about it!
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 6,697 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    My son won £25 a few years ago.
    Originally posted by realaledrinker
    When £100 has been the smallest prize? Impressive!
    • atush
    • By atush 11th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 16,155 Posts
    • 9,850 Thanks
    atush
    I am sure there is another thread here about this, and someones relative won something big.

but I am not a lottery type person (although I have 100 of premium bonds and have won 150 lol).
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 12th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Xenon
    Same position - been in from the start...square root of nothing
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 12th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 7,569 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    Stompa
    In comparison, I win a £25 prize at least once a year (and sometimes more) with the NS&I Premium Bonds. This is in spite of having a higher amount invested in Halifax, as compared to NS&I
    They're not really comparable though, in that the Halifax is paying interest, whereas NS&I is not, so there are bound to be significantly fewer prizes.
    Stompa
    • the_mandarin
    • By the_mandarin 13th Jun 17, 3:39 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    the_mandarin
    Based on the responses on this thread, I guess we can safely conclude that any money parked in Halifax should be on the basis of the interest rate alone - as the lure of any "prize" in their saver's draw is just a pipe dream!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Based on the responses on this thread, I guess we can safely conclude that any money parked in Halifax should be on the basis of the interest rate alone - as the lure of any "prize" in their saver's draw is just a pipe dream!
    Er, yes, obviously you should only assume money will rise according to the interest rate. The Halifax is a bank not a lottery company.

The "prize" really is a prize (no inverted commas necessary - they DO give out prizes). It's not just a pipe dream - a phrase that implies it is illusory. It isn't. You can win. Lot and lots of people have (just look at the number of winners on their winners page:

We’ve already paid out over £42.9 million in prizes so far to 71,900 winners across Great Britain
    Just because it's no-one you know doesn't make it a pipe dream, it just confirms the odds are small.

This was all, surely, obvious from the start?
    Last edited by Zanderman; 13-06-2017 at 8:28 AM. Reason: added quote
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,199Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter