Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geeuk
    • By geeuk 10th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    geeuk
    Satisfying 2 Defaults from 2012
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    Satisfying 2 Defaults from 2012 10th Jun 17 at 2:25 PM
    Hi,

I have 2 Defaults:

One from PRA Group Defaulted in October 2012 for £845.

One from A P S Limited (Cash Plus) in May 2012 for £271.

Both Defaults are outstanding.

My current account is all spot on with 5k O/D limit and have various card accounts with no balance on them.

I am considering applying for a mortgage soon, I have applied for a mortgage in principle with my bank (Halifax) and got accepted in principle for 4.75 times my salary they done a soft search on my credit file.

My question is:
    Should I pay off the 2 outstanding defaults and wait for it to hit my credit report as satisfied before putting my mortgage application through Halifax ?

It has been over 5 years since defaulted but I am just confused that the underwriters will decline my application because of the defaults outstanding.

I am also considering writing to debt collectors them asking for them to remove the defaults after paying them off because of the time that has passed over. I highly doubt they will remove it.

Any suggestions or advice would be excellent.

Peter
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11,155 Posts
    • 10,826 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    They won't remove them.

Your credit file must remain accurate.

Can you not wait until the defaults have dropped off your file altogether ?

You can still be chased for these debts.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    Hi Geeuk,

Credit files are influenced by many factors at the same time to determine your overall credit worthiness. This can include your age, whether or not you are on the electoral role, anyone you may be financially associated with, and of course, your credit history.

Outstanding defaults, even old ones, could be a concern to a future mortgage lender. As sourcrates has said, these debts are still enforceable and can result in a CCJ and that could be a big concern for a lender. If you are in a financial position to pay these off, then you should do that ASAP. I am afraid you are not going to be able to get the defaults removed, and they are still going to show for another 12-18months (or so), but a settled default is better than an outstanding one. Best of luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 5,104 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    In a little over 12 months time, both will have passed the six year mark and will drop off your credit file.

If you haven't acknowledged the debts and/or made a payment on either in the previous five years, then by the time they drop off they will also be statute barred and you won't need to pay them.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,743Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin