Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Humbl3304348_m4n
    • By Humbl3304348_m4n 10th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Humbl3304348_m4n
    Nto
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    Nto 10th Jun 17 at 1:57 PM
    Hi All,

i've received a Notice To owner regarding an alleged Parking Ticket which isn't for my car. The photo evidence clearly shows that the vehicle reg is different, as to is the make, model and colour. So, they've obviously not even bothered to look at the evidence and now are making a false claim against me.

Can I now sue or claim against this incompetent council for the threatening letters that I have received, maybe I should levy similar ridiculous extortionate charges upon them.

I would be keen to hear from anyone that has been in a similar situation, I know that the claim against me is invalid, maybe I should go to the press. it seems to be one rule for them and one for us - how can they justify charging people such high charges.

I am half tempted to just keep ignoring it, because they have to prove that I am at fault, and I know that I am 100% innocent because they have the wrong vehicle and owner.

Would be grateful, for any advice. Thanks
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 14,512 Posts
    • 22,810 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    Before doing anything, I'd seek advice from the council parking experts PePiPoo (we cover the private parking industry).

Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Humbl3304348_m4n
    • By Humbl3304348_m4n 10th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Humbl3304348_m4n
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    Thanks Umkomaas,but i just wanted to to reiterate the fact that neither I nor my car has ever been to the location for which the PCN was issued because it's from another county council to where I live.

The photo evidence is of another car, make and model so I am 100% not guilty nor am I paying. I know that they won't have the picture of my car at the time of the offence because my car was never there.

I could call them or write to them and easily get this cancelled - but I was just thinking whether I could take action against them for a false claim. i will read posts from the website you have provided.

I just wanted advise as to whether it is worth me trying to make a claim against this council or should I just call them, and advise that they've got the wrong vehicle and then let that be the end of it?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,358 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    I could call them or write to them and easily get this cancelled...

should I just call them, and advise that they've got the wrong vehicle and then let that be the end of it?
    Never, never, never deal with any type of PCN over the phone. That is not an appeal and you could end up with bailiffs at your door if you do not follow the appeal process shown on the PCN (regardless of circumstances, even if this was not your car!).

It would NOT be the end of it to make a phone call, so do not do that, at all. NO PHONING.

I was just thinking whether I could take action against them for a false claim
    Report them to the DVLA:

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

But do not let that stop you appealing at ALL stages, including if you are sent a NTO. It MUST be in writing or using the Council appeals page, not by phone (can't stress that enough). Pepipoo will assist you with the stages.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 10-06-2017 at 3:38 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Humbl3304348_m4n
    • By Humbl3304348_m4n 10th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Humbl3304348_m4n
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    Thanks Coupon-m, your advice is very much appreciated.

The PCN should of gone to the car that is in their photo evidence and not me - so I will report them to the DVLA as all they needed to do was look at the pictures and it is quite obvious that the car, make and model and vehicle is not mine. This was the only reason I thought about calling them - because it's a simple case of mistaken identity by them.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,358 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    Yes, I know, and can understand it seems simple. But sadly, that's how people get bailiffs turning up.

People don't realise the only way to deal with any PCN from a Council (even a mistaken one) is to follow the appeals process (3 stages, if needed) in writing, and keep proof of submission/screenshots or copies and/or proof of posting of the appeals.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 10-06-2017 at 5:31 PM.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Humbl3304348_m4n
    • By Humbl3304348_m4n 10th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Humbl3304348_m4n
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    Thanks Coupon-m,

I'm not worried by the bailiffs if it got to that stage - they are merely failed bouncers and thugs. It's just frustrating that I've now been caught up in all of this when I should of never have received anything in the first place, This is why I wanted to claim against them for the time, effort and stress at having to resolve this matter.

If I did continue to ignore it - surely I can't be liable for anything - because it's their own warden or failed administration that made the mistake of putting my registration in instead of the someone else's which is in the photo evidence they provided. I don't work for them, and nor do I need to help them in anyway. Surely, even in law - they are responsible for their own failures. Why should I help or make their job any easier so that they can then chase someone else? Rant over now.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 14,512 Posts
    • 22,810 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    I'm not worried by the bailiffs if it got to that stage
    Sorry to say this, but I think you underestimate the crap bailiffs can bring to your life. I've been around these forums for a good while, and nobody I've read about comes out unscathed from an encounter with bailiffs!

I can't seem to find any thread of yours on PePiPoo yet. They really are the people to help.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jun 17, 10:52 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,358 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:52 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:52 PM
    If I did continue to ignore it - surely I can't be liable for anything
    Don't be that person. Don't go there. How about asking pepipoo posters what they think of that plan?!

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Register free, not a Hotmail email, and post pics of the PCN/NTO and ask.

• Humbl3304348_m4n
    • By Humbl3304348_m4n 11th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Humbl3304348_m4n
    Thanks guys - advice is much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,344Posts Today

8,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin