Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BOBBIs MUMMY
    • By BOBBIs MUMMY 10th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 809Posts
    • 1,323Thanks
    BOBBIs MUMMY
    Best Deal For Low Users On PAYG
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    Best Deal For Low Users On PAYG 10th Jun 17 at 1:32 PM
    My parents both have Doro phones (my dad is partially sighted so the large keys perfect for them) They are both currently on Orange/EE PAYG deals I am unsure what my mum is paying per minute but she has told me today that my dad has to pay 50p a minute I'm looking for a PAYG sim where they can keep their phones but obviously pay a lot less in call charges. They don't really need texts and definitely not the internet just cheap minutes to make occasional phone calls. Anyone got any ideas please??
Page 1
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 10th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    No one should be paying 50p per minute for calls to ordinary numbers such as landline numbers, 03 numbers and mobile numbers.

There are a number of providers charging rates of 3p, 5p or 8p per minute.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 10th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    Take a look at Three 3-2-1. Voice calls 3p per minute PAYG (no contract).

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

3G/4G only, so you would need to check whether their phones are compatible.

Checking our accounts on Three's website, credit does not expire.
    Last edited by Roger1; 10-06-2017 at 2:38 PM. Reason: typo
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 10th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    And that Three have adequate coverage where they live.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    My parents both have Doro phones (my dad is partially sighted so the large keys perfect for them) They are both currently on Orange/EE PAYG deals I am unsure what my mum is paying per minute but she has told me today that my dad has to pay 50p a minute I'm looking for a PAYG sim where they can keep their phones but obviously pay a lot less in call charges. They don't really need texts and definitely not the internet just cheap minutes to make occasional phone calls. Anyone got any ideas please??
    Originally posted by BOBBIs MUMMY
    Do you know how much on average they pay per month?

You can get a monthly sim from the likes of Plusnet at just £5 per month for 500 minutes & 1000 texts or for just £7.50 a month 1000 minutes & Unlimited texts.

The most important thing to check is network coverage in their usual locations.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    Also make sure the phones are unlocked to other networks, if not then look on ebay for unlock services for the phone models
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    my dad has to pay 50p a minute
    this shows max. 35p per minute

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/pay-as-you-go-non-standard-price-guide-2017-v1.pdf
    unless he calls 070 numbers which are upto 75p per minute
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Farway
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    If the phones are locked to EE try Asda, you can get a free sim, with a few bob pre loaded just by completing on line form.

That way you will be able to check coverage, which should be fine if already on EE, and then port the numbers over when ready
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 10th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    My parents both have Doro phones (my dad is partially sighted so the large keys perfect for them) They are both currently on Orange/EE PAYG deals. I'm looking for a PAYG sim where they can keep their phones but obviously pay a lot less in call charges.
    Large button Doro phones are probably not 3G phones so that would rule out the Three 3-2-1 sim. If they are happy enough with the network coverage Orange/EE provides, they could try Asda mobile, for 8p per minute (or if you want really cheap, 1pMobile is only 1p).

To use another sim card in their phones, just remember they will probably need to contact Orange/EE and request they unlock them (unless they were bought as sim-free phones in the first place?) and ask for their PAC so they can keep their current mobile numbers.

Edit: doh, as Faraway says, since Asda mobile uses the EE network they probably won't need them unlocked.
    • BOBBIs MUMMY
    • By BOBBIs MUMMY 10th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    BOBBIs MUMMY
    thank you everyone for your very helpful advice. They only ring local numbers on their mobiles no premium numbers. I will make further investigations into your suggestions fingers crossed I can make their mobile bills a lot cheaper dont see why they should be penalised for barely using them
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 10th Jun 17, 5:37 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Atasas
    thank you everyone for your very helpful advice. They only ring local numbers on their mobiles no premium numbers. I will make further investigations into your suggestions fingers crossed I can make their mobile bills a lot cheaper dont see why they should be penalised for barely using them
    1p mobile
    https://www.1pmobile.com
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    If the phones are locked to EE try Asda, you can get a free sim, with a few bob pre loaded just by completing on line form.

That way you will be able to check coverage, which should be fine if already on EE, and then port the numbers over when ready
    Originally posted by Farway
    Wont work, just like a Giffgaff and tescomobile sim wont work in an o2 locked phone
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Originally posted by Atasas
    Beware of 1p's terms and conditions, you have to top up every 120 days.

Three's PAYG (3p/min) only requires that you make a chargeable call or text (or top up) at least once every 180 days. An odd call every now and again would give months/years of use for a £10 top up.

As others mentioned, some Doro phones were 2G only (surprisingly) and if so, won't work on Three.
    Last edited by Frozen_up_north; 10-06-2017 at 5:54 PM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Farway
    Wont work, just like a Giffgaff and tescomobile sim wont work in an o2 locked phone
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Works in mine, both Tesco & Asda , and surely worth a free try before dismissing out of hand based on your experience
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,613 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Virgin Big Talk gives you unlimited land-line calls (01,02 and 03 number), and 120 minutes of mobile to mobile calls, for £10 pm, and the £10 top-up doesn't expire each month.

I let mine build up, month by month, then use it to phone and text back to the UK, when on holiday in Europe.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • david39
    • By david39 11th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    david39
    If they, or you, are with Talktalk as your broadband supplier,then you are probably eligible for one totally free low-use SIM. You need to check on the TT website for the details and you may need to get the phone unlocked.
    I use this service and get unlimited fibre broadband, landline charge and the SIM for £27 per month but I think it was £25 when I looked the other day.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 11th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    • 4,239 Posts
    • 1,949 Thanks
    spud17
    Works in mine, both Tesco & Asda , and surely worth a free try before dismissing out of hand based on your experience
    Originally posted by Farway
    Same experience here, Tesco sim worked in an O2 exclusive Nokia phone, but I'm pretty sure that an O2 sim won't work in a locked to Tesco mobile.
    Also Life/Plusnet sim works in EE exclusive phone.
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 12th Jun 17, 7:08 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    virgo17
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    If it doesn't work then things have changed since I used to 'muck about' extensively.

It used to be the case that a phone lock was 'downwards' compatible but not 'upwards'. By that I mean that if a phone was locked to O2 it would accept a SIM from Tesco or Giffgaff. However if it was locked to Tesco or Giffgaff it would not accept a SIM from O2.

Same with EE. If a phone was locked to EE it would accept a SIM from Asda or Life, however if locked to Asda it wouldn't accept a SIM from EE.

This may all have changed as my info is a couple of years old so as stated above, it would be wise to get a free SIM from an MNVO operator and try it out first. Even a free SIM without top up should show registration. The exception being the old Orange PAYG system that actually activated the SIM after top up.
    Last edited by virgo17; 12-06-2017 at 7:12 AM.
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 12th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    If you think they are going to spend more than about 21 minutes a week in call time then 1pMobile are the cheapest option, and are cheaper than Three.

(This is because Three are 3p a minute: 3x21p = 60p x 4 = £2.52 per month.)

Don't forget that credit doesn't expire with 1pMobile either so if they save credit up they can use it on holidays perhaps.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Farway
    If you think they are going to spend more than about 21 minutes a week in call time then 1pMobile are the cheapest option, and are cheaper than Three.

(This is because Three are 3p a minute: 3x21p = 60p x 4 = £2.52 per month.)

Don't forget that credit doesn't expire with 1pMobile either so if they save credit up they can use it on holidays perhaps.
    Originally posted by Patrick Stewart
    I have not checked 1p T & Cs but have read on MSE they require a £10 top up after 120 days, worth checking before committing irrevocably, plus they want a top before sending a SIM, so no free try there AFAIK
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin