Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Polio Dad
    • By Polio Dad 10th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Polio Dad
    Physically Disabled Student accommodation help
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    Physically Disabled Student accommodation help 10th Jun 17 at 1:25 PM
    My 19 yr old son is severely physically disabled as a result of contracting polio from his first vaccine at 9 weeks old.
    He is very bright and has been accepted at university to do a BA.
    He needs to have 24 hr care and we are being told by the university and social services that we will have to pay for 2 rooms, one for my son and one for the carer. Please can someone advise who should be paying for the second room. We have been told the rules have just changed and therefore the local authority will not pay and neither will the university.
    He has applied for a DSA but have been told that the DSA no longer covers this cost.
    We have also applied for housing benefit from the local authority to the University but have not heard from them at all.
    Sure this is discrimination if, due to his disability, we have to fund 2 rooms.
    Any help or guidance will be appreciated.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 9,299 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    Does he receive no disability related benefits to cover this cost? DLA or PIP surely?
    Does his disability not grant him additional student loans or grants?

No it's not discrimination. It's a cost associated with his disability.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • w06
    • By w06 10th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    w06
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    It's not what disabled students allowance is for, that specifically excludes costs that would exist if you were not a student, such as personal care
    • Polio Dad
    • By Polio Dad 10th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Polio Dad
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    He does get DLA on the higher level but a lot of this is used for motability.
    After is fight with social services they will cover the cost of the night care but not the cost of the room for the carer. If he was not disabled the cost would be tuition fees (funded by student loan) and accommodation. As he is disabled there is the cost of student fees (funded by student loan) his room, and additional room, carer/PA in the day (funded by the university) and night carer (funded by LA) DSA no longer covers the additional room which is over £ 5000 per year. This cannot be funded by the student loan either.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 22,853 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    Is there any chance of a grant from a charity?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 9,299 Thanks
    marliepanda
    He does get DLA on the higher level but a lot of this is used for motability.
    After is fight with social services they will cover the cost of the night care but not the cost of the room for the carer. If he was not disabled the cost would be tuition fees (funded by student loan) and accommodation. As he is disabled there is the cost of student fees (funded by student loan) his room, and additional room, carer/PA in the day (funded by the university) and night carer (funded by LA) DSA no longer covers the additional room which is over £ 5000 per year. This cannot be funded by the student loan either.
    Originally posted by Polio Dad
    What does his care DLA (if he receives it, which would surprise me if he didn't) cover? If you choose to use it (all?) for the motobility car that is your choice. It's not paid just for his Mobility, it's there for care too. You choose how to allocate it. You can't allocate the care component to the car and then complain there's nothing left.

The uni is paying for the day care, the LA is paying for the night care. Sorry but it sounds like the room needs to be paid for by yourself, either through his care DLA or from your own pocket.

He would have care needs at home which are currently being met. I understand this may be a room on your house and helped by yourself so incurring no extra cost, but this isn't the same at uni.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 22,853 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    My 19 yr old son is severely physically disabled as a result of contracting polio from his first vaccine at 9 weeks old.
    Was there no vaccine damage compensation paid into trust for him?

If so, could part of the trust fund be used?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,890 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    Is there not a local university that he could attend as a day student ?
    • Polio Dad
    • By Polio Dad 10th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Polio Dad
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    I appreciate all your advice. The challenge I have is that my son is physically disabled as a direct result of me following government advice and having him vaccinated. I watched as the nurse administered the drops following confirmation from a doctor that this was perfectly safe to do. We have to live with that. I have now spent 19 years having to beg, borrow and fight to give him the best chance of making a meaningful contribution to society and not to be just another disabled person living off the state.
    He did get a vaccine damage payment 16 years ago. That has long gone on caring for him and providing him with disability needs that the government would not fund. All we ever hear is that there is no money for care. There is money for an election and for government advisers and subsidised bars and restaurants in parliament and billions for the banks.
    Imaging if there was no polio vaccine. What would the government's care costs be.
    Imagine if this was you following your vaccine. Vaccines are give to protect society from awful diseases but surely there is a moral duty to support those you pay a high price to protect others.
    As parents we want him to be the best and I cannot afford £ 10 000 a year in accommodation costs for university. Surely society owes it to him and should help him achieve his goals.
    I will get off my soap box now.
    My question is who is legally bound to cover these costs? It used to be social services, then it was DSA. Now no one can tell me who this was transferred to.
    • Polio Dad
    • By Polio Dad 10th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Polio Dad
    We live in North Devon. I seems that no disable person has ever gone to university from North Devon as none of the local services know what to do or how this should work. He has been accepted at Falmouth university which is 2.5 hours away. The course he wants to study is not available at Exeter University.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 10th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I appreciate all your advice. The challenge I have is that my son is physically disabled as a direct result of me following government advice and having him vaccinated. I watched as the nurse administered the drops following confirmation from a doctor that this was perfectly safe to do. We have to live with that. I have now spent 19 years having to beg, borrow and fight to give him the best chance of making a meaningful contribution to society and not to be just another disabled person living off the state.
    He did get a vaccine damage payment 16 years ago. That has long gone on caring for him and providing him with disability needs that the government would not fund. All we ever hear is that there is no money for care. There is money for an election and for government advisers and subsidised bars and restaurants in parliament and billions for the banks.
    Imaging if there was no polio vaccine. What would the government's care costs be.
    Imagine if this was you following your vaccine. Vaccines are give to protect society from awful diseases but surely there is a moral duty to support those you pay a high price to protect others.
    As parents we want him to be the best and I cannot afford £ 10 000 a year in accommodation costs for university. Surely society owes it to him and should help him achieve his goals.
    I will get off my soap box now.
    My question is who is legally bound to cover these costs? It used to be social services, then it was DSA. Now no one can tell me who this was transferred to.
    Originally posted by Polio Dad
    I couldn't agree more. Was it a lifetime award? If not, could you go back and see if his new circumstances mean any additional payment is due?

What course is he doing? Maybe the professional body for the industry would be able to help?

Failing that, I would approach my MP and ask the question.
    • Mr Costcutter
    • By Mr Costcutter 10th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Mr Costcutter
    Just a thought, but would your son consider a course through the Open University if an appropriate course was available?
    • w06
    • By w06 10th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    w06
    It's likely in most places to be a lot cheaper to rent a two bedroom flat or house nearby than a single room in halls.

If he's receiving 24 hour care though presumably the overnight carer doesn't need a bed, as they'll be awake, and so a single bed flat/house would do as there'd be a livingroom.

I've just looked at our uni halls costs and the cheapest uncatered single room is only £20 a week less than my privately rented 3 bed house with a garden.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    IAmWales
    It's likely in most places to be a lot cheaper to rent a two bedroom flat or house nearby than a single room in halls.

If he's receiving 24 hour care though presumably the overnight carer doesn't need a bed, as they'll be awake, and so a single bed flat/house would do as there'd be a livingroom.

I've just looked at our uni halls costs and the cheapest uncatered single room is only £20 a week less than my privately rented 3 bed house with a garden.
    Originally posted by w06
    He'd also be eligible for the two bed housing benefit rate if he lived in his own flat.

Alternatively, if he is based on campus, does he still need the Motability car?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 22,853 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    xylophone
    if he is based on campus, does he still need the Motability car?
    Presumably he is too disabled to get off campus without it.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Presumably he is too disabled to get off campus without it.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Quite possibly, but would the cost of the car be greater than taxi/ train when needed?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 12,536 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Please give this help line a call.

They are excellent.

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 10th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    Loz01
    Sorry if someone has said this as I haven't read the replied but wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a small 2 bedroom house than pay for 2 rooms in halls?

Also halls in the first year can be very... loud!!! And a bit of a party zone. Is he aware of that? I lived at home for Uni and travelled in but my friend lived in halls and hated it as it was non stop noise, disruption and music.
    An apple a day keeps anyone away if you throw it hard enough
    • Polio Dad
    • By Polio Dad 11th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Polio Dad
    Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate all your suggestions.
    The challenge with renting a house off campus is that my son will need a hoist and disabled accessible bathroom. These are very difficult to find. At least the university will cover the cost of installing the ceiling hoist and have a disabled wet room to use. We are too far from the Uni for him to be able to live at home. We need to keep the car so that we can transport him when he comes home for holidays and the odd weekend. He has to travel in his powered wheelchair.
    My wife has tried to call the disability students helpline but can never get through and it is only open for short periods. We emailed them but have not got a response.
    We will keep trying and will not give up. It has been like this all the way along.
    When he needed a new powered wheelchair we found some charities that helped. When we told the local services about the charities they suddenly managed to get a number of children new wheelchairs from the same charities. The biggest problem is finding those who want to and can assist. There are some amazing charities out there but finding them is the challenge. It is the same with disabled support entitlements. Unless you ask you don't get and if you don't know about what is available no one tells you.
    We have found that my son has been the trail blazer with no one to support us. All very wearing and depressing.
    But we will keep going as there is no other option.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Jun 17, 7:19 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,890 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Wouldn't Motability conditions insist that the car is at campus for him,rather than just used when he's at home, otherwise he is denied access when you aren't near him ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,667Posts Today

8,496Users online

Martin's Twitter