Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • erictheonly1
    • By erictheonly1 10th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    erictheonly1
    Car Broken Down, No Cover
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    Car Broken Down, No Cover 10th Jun 17 at 12:17 PM
    Hello

My car recently broke down at work and I have no break down cover (i know). The fault with the vehicle sounds like it is a fuel injection issue as it turns over and it has power (and petrol), but it's just not going (similar thing happened 2 years ago).

Now my place of work is 25 miles from my home and I would ideally like to move it to a garage local to my home if it cannot be repaired. I just want to ask those who have had a similar experience what the recommended course of action would be.
    Last edited by erictheonly1; 10-06-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Page 2
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 5,443 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Be pleased that you broke down at work with no breakdown cover and not on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway.

Either the garage will recover it for you or look for someone local who recovers cars and delivers them to your garage of choice, whichever is cheapest.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 10th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    Richard53
    If you dont need the car for a few days, cant you join a breakdown service, then call them up middle of next week when you 'break down' at work?
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Most policies have a 48/72 HR before you can claim so why not give it a go.you would be just unfortunate to have a breakdown so soon on new policy
    Originally posted by gardner1
    Find a mate who has personal cover and get him to request his breakdown service to deal with it
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Just my opinion, but I think all these suggestions are unethical. You might get away with it, and probably will, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any of these.

Pay a garage a few quid to collect it, and have a clear conscience.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 5,443 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Just my opinion, but I think all these suggestions are unethical. You might get away with it, and probably will, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any of these.

Originally posted by Richard53
    Half the money saving tips on MSE are unethical to start with anyway....
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 11th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 10,277 Posts
    • 12,969 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Half the money saving tips on MSE are unethical to start with anyway....
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Agree, I think it's immoral to join the New Zealand National Trust to visit UK National Trust properties, but plenty of people are happy to do so. But then again the NTUK and EH are stupid for allowing a loophole.
    The man without a signature.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 32,142 Posts
    • 16,212 Thanks
    Quentin
    Agree, I think it's immoral to join the New Zealand National Trust to visit UK National Trust properties, but plenty of people are happy to do so. But then again the NTUK and EH are stupid for allowing a loophole.
    Originally posted by vikingaero
    What is and isn't "moral" in your eyes is pretty irrelevant - this is a money saving website!

The example you give is pretty irrelevant too (in this thread).

You can also visit National Trust for Scotland, National Trust of Jersey, National Trust of Guernsey,, Australia, Japan and lots more with a Heritage New Zealand card which looks to be the one you have a down on. Are you also telling us they are all stupid too?
    Last edited by Quentin; 11-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 11th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    Richard53
    Originally posted by vikingaero
    It's not a loophole, it's a reciprocal agreement between the organisations, which they all benefit from. Not the same thing at all.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 11th Jun 17, 9:43 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    fred246
    Some providers I have looked at requires that the car is serviced, which my car hasn't been (again I know).
    Originally posted by erictheonly1
    I used to drive round with receipts for servicing parts and an article from an independent consumer association survey which said that 70% of cars were incorrectly serviced and garages were failing to spot dangerous defects. But my car never broke down so I never used it.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 11th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    If its not been serviced for a long time I'd change the spark plugs and see if that does the trick before I did anything else. Petrol and a spark and they usually run.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 17th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Car 54

Originally posted by Richard53
    Unethical? More like fraudulent.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 18th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    Richard53
    Unethical? More like fraudulent.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    I did consider using that word ...
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 18th Jun 17, 6:49 AM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Aretnap
    The OP has probably sorted out his problem now, but as another option if you phone the AA asa non member and tell them you've broken down they'll let you join and call out a rescue truck on the spot, subject to paying their full membership fee (ie no online/new member discounts) and a surcharge for being already broken down (it was about £50 when I did it 3 or 4 years ago.

This probably isn't the cheapest solution, but it's one of the simplest (especially if you don't want to lie and/or need help in a hurry)
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 19th Jun 17, 6:45 AM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    Richard53
    This probably isn't the cheapest solution, but it's one of the simplest
    Originally posted by Aretnap
    And honest ...
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 19th Jun 17, 9:07 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    caprikid1
    Is this something you have personally done?
    Originally posted by erictheonly1

I've done it too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin