Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lincsvape
    • By lincsvape 10th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lincsvape
    Bogus Bailiffs?
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    Bogus Bailiffs? 10th Jun 17 at 12:08 PM
    Apologies if this is the wrong category to post this in, feel free to move the post if it is.

Something strange and troubling happened to me last week.

I do have a few small debts, I owe money to about 4 companies - total debt is around £1,000 spread across the 4 companies. I have arrangements in place with them all and pay my instalments off by direct debit each month and in around 4 months I will be totally debt free.

My credit file is accurate and has my current address on it as where I'm living, and around 2 months ago I registered on the electoral roll at my current address. Before this I was on the electoral roll at my mother in laws address. However I ever had any financial accounts linked to that address, and I never applied for credit under that address or had any bank stuff go there.

However, last week, out of the blue - no letters or anything - so called bailiffs turned up at my mother in laws, apparently with no ID or paperwork in their hands - and just said "is <my full name> here, we are here to seize goods up to the value of.." at this point my father in law cut them off and said "no he doesn't live here", and they just went away.

It's been really troubling me, I've spoken to all my creditors who assure me it's not them. My car V5 has always been at my current address so it can't be any parking fine I'm unaware of etc. I just simply don't owe money to anyone other than the people I have good arrangements in place with.

There has been no letters either, so it's a mystery and I can't think what it could be - apart from a bogus bailiff trying to incite fear with the hope someone will hand money over without seeing any ID or paperwork.

They claimed they were from a company which sounded similar to "Rodrick Jones" - but after doing a google search, nothing of any relevance is coming up.

I spoke to the police who said it may be chancers trying to get money.

My mother in law was also burgled a week before, and I myself was burgled a few weeks ago - and we don't know if we are being targeted by someone.

I've got a copy of my credit report from Call Credit, Experian, and Equifax - and there's nothing unusual on there either to suggest something might have been opened up in my name.

& my credit score is very poor too, so even if someone tried to obtain credit in my name I'm sure they would get an instant decline.

I am losing a bit of sleep over it - because what if they come to my new address and demand stuff while I'm at work and it's my partner and our 2 year old here
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 10,899 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    Bailiffs are usually only used as a last resort to collect consumer credit debt.
    In order for a bailiff to be instructed, a county court judgement must of been made in the creditors favor, you must then have failed to pay that judgement, only then can a bailiff call on you.

They will always show you ID, and tell you who they are working for, and on behalf of, it certainly sounds like these guys were bogus to me.

Best advice is dont open the door to them, and to call the police straight away.

If genuine, they will wait and engage with the police, if they do a runner, theres your answer.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 10th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    sheff6107
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    Debt collectors with no legal powers can knock on your door, but it's very unusual unless you happen to live very close to their office
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

921Posts Today

7,468Users online

Martin's Twitter