Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 10th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,251Posts
    • 1,313Thanks
    GotToChange
    ESA letter, includes "end" date?
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    ESA letter, includes "end" date? 10th Jun 17 at 11:31 AM
    Hi all -
    After a WCA on 11/5 - was told at the time that I would go to (remain) Support Group - finally got the letter of confirmation yesterday. I was not 100% sure that what she had said couldn't be changed or over-ruled somehow. Basically, nothing really changes in terms of money - although I thought that (having been advised by Healthwatch last year) I may now apply for PIP.

But, within the letter on the page that gives the breakdown of the amount/s paid, it does say that this will be paid to 30/11/17, so am now wondering if this means that there will be another assessment - which they may was well write to me now to set up as I was notified in January about the one that I just attended.

My only other thought is that the amount might change for the first week of December due to the £10 Christmas bonus (which is already mentioned in the letter) .....

Does anyone know if that date is some kind of cut-off date?

Page 2
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I've never had one, had the bonus but no letter, and neither has my husband for his pension
    Originally posted by tobykim
    You must be an anomaly then as earlier in the thread you claimed to have received a letter last week stating your benefit was changing due to the Xmas bonus - but income related ESA isn't even a qualifying benefit.
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 13th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    GotToChange
    You must be an anomaly then as earlier in the thread you claimed to have received a letter last week stating your benefit was changing due to the Xmas bonus - but income related ESA isn't even a qualifying benefit.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I wonder why I have received it previously..... the only benefit I get is IR-ESA

• Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 13th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 10,762 Posts
    • 20,054 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Am I missing something here? Income related ESA is a qualifying benefit for the £10 Xmas bonus right? I get it paid as part of my ESA payment (and my only other benefit was DLA now PIP.. and enhanced disability premium also paid as part of ESA) rather than separate and I get a letter stating that ESA will increase by £10 as a result. This can cause confusion and as it happens I received a letter just last week from DWP apologising for the confusion regarding notification of the Xmas bonus as (from what I recall of the now binned letter) people had been confused that it might be a permanent increase to their ESA of £10 but that their benefit would actually return to normal amount after the payment in December.

Hmmm ETA https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility
    Suggests IR ESA is not a qualifying benefit... surprise to me... so I'm getting it because of PIP (and previously DLA) it would appear... seems I have falsely assumed the reason I get it... although I wonder if an underlying entitlement to contribution based ESA would trigger eligibility in any case. Does any of this explain the confusion in Op's case?
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 14-06-2017 at 4:43 PM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • tobykim
    • By tobykim 13th Jun 17, 9:05 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    tobykim
    Cb esa, not ir, the letter I had was explaining my award letter, and the fact that I would have a one off payment to include the Christmas bonus. I have never had a letter in November to say the Christmas bonus was being paid
    • tobykim
    • By tobykim 13th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    tobykim
    Am I missing something here? Income related ESA is a qualifying benefit for the £10 Xmas bonus right? I get it paid as part of my ESA payment (and my only other benefit was DLA now PIP.. and enhanced disability premium also paid as part of ESA) rather than separate and I get a letter stating that ESA will increase by £10 as a result. This can cause confusion and as it happens I received a letter just last week from DWP apologising for the confusion regarding notification of the Xmas bonus as (from what I recall of the now binned latter) people had been confused that it might be a permanent increase to their ESA of £10 but that their benefit would actually return to normal amount after the payment in December.

Hmmm ETA https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility
    Suggests IR ESA is not a qualifying benefit... surprise to me... so I'm getting it because of PIP (and previously DLA) it would appear... seems I have falsely assumed the reason I get it... although I wonder if an underlying entitlement to contribution based ESA would trigger eligibility in any case. Does any of this explain the confusion in Op's case?
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog
    Sounds like the same letter I had
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

7,215Users online

Martin's Twitter