Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrDerek
    • By MrDerek 10th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MrDerek
    Selling car privately, scam?
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    Selling car privately, scam? 10th Jun 17 at 11:09 AM
    I'm selling my car privately and I have one person contact me who seem a bit suspicious. He's told me he's on vacation in Germany and he's wanting to buy it for a friends birthday, then the below message, what do you think?

I just want to know more about the item to make sure its in good condition before i proceed with the payment,so can you assure me i will not be disappointed???And also I need to inform you about this,I just received an email from my pick up agent headquarter in London...Am most sure i did not include that in my previous email,And they said they won't be coming to pick up unless we pay the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time,I am so busy and can not pay the agent fees from here as they Requested that i pay them with western union So what i will do here is that i will send the payment in the total amount of £3,350.00. So once you receive the confirmation of the payment,you will deduct the promised amount for the item which is £2,800.00 and the remaining £500.00 will be send down to the agent By western union the extra £50 is main for the Western Union charges..
    I've sent him my paypal details since and I'm thinking if he sends me the money there's not much that could go wrong? Only thing I can think of is if he uses a stolen paypal account to buy my car, in which case I could verify it by getting him to send me a picture of ID or something?

I also have a template contract for the buyer to sign (sold as seen), unsure how I could protect myself with it in this situation where the buyer is remote and not actually seeing it.

The car itself is currently SORN with it's MOT due to run out in the next week.

Other than the suspicious request above, only other thing that raises suspicion is he signed his initial email with "Andrew" but the email is from a "Paul".

Any thoughts?
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 10th Jun 17, 11:11 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:11 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:11 AM
    It's a scam.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    Scam. Google will show plenty of examples.
    • MrDerek
    • By MrDerek 10th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrDerek
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    It's a scam.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    How so? care to elaborate?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 59,453 Posts
    • 42,166 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    Originally posted by MrDerek
    No need, these have been doing the rounds for decades now, just do a google search and you'll see how it all works. These are very very common, they have to be as the chances of the scumbag scammers finding someone who believes it is now so remote.

It is obvious when you read their email how the scam works- but as above, find an example on google and you'll get a full explanation.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Google it and you'll save someone else the time explaining it to you.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 10th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    The email confirmation from paypal will be a fake. They are asking for Western Union payment as it is untraceable. Buying a car without viewing is a sure sign of a con. All the signs are there.
    • MrDerek
    • By MrDerek 10th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MrDerek
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    Thanks for all your great insight, it's so clear.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 10th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    force ten
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    it is a con and you could lose out big time, if he says he has payed via paypal it will be a fake e mail don't follow any links in the e mail

if they pay via a hacked paypal account the payment shows and you hand the car over to the shipping agent and then the payment is reversed as a fake payment so your car has gone along with your money

tell him to do one
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 10th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    Mr Derek, you shouldn't have to ask. Somebody abroad wants to buy your car unseen. Western Union is another clue. Cease all contact.
    Je suis sabot...
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    Tarambor
    "Requested that i pay them with western union So what i will do here is that i will send the payment in the total amount of £3,350.00. So once you receive the confirmation of the payment,you will deduct the promised amount for the item which is £2,800.00 and the remaining £500.00 will be send down to the agent By western union the extra £50 is main for the Western Union charges.."

So the scammers offering to pay you more than the £2800 car. They transfer £3350 to your Paypal account. You then send £550 via Western Union to a third party as agreed "to pay for the fees" which is actually the scammers. They pocket that £550. Then one of their gang purporting to be their agent comes and picks up your car. You're happy, you've got your money, the fees to the agent are paid, all is good in the world.

Except its not. The Paypal payment was made with stolen credit cards or a hacked account. Several weeks later Paypal reverse the payment. You're now £3350 out of pocket and you've also lost your car.

For them at worst they end up with £550, at best they end up with £550 and your car.
    • takman
    • By takman 10th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 2,353 Thanks
    takman
    "Requested that i pay them with western union So what i will do here is that i will send the payment in the total amount of £3,350.00. So once you receive the confirmation of the payment,you will deduct the promised amount for the item which is £2,800.00 and the remaining £500.00 will be send down to the agent By western union the extra £50 is main for the Western Union charges.."

So the scammers offering to pay you more than the £2800 car. They transfer £3350 to your Paypal account. You then send £550 via Western Union to a third party as agreed "to pay for the fees" which is actually the scammers. They pocket that £550. Then one of their gang purporting to be their agent comes and picks up your car. You're happy, you've got your money, the fees to the agent are paid, all is good in the world.

Except its not. The Paypal payment was made with stolen credit cards or a hacked account. Several weeks later Paypal reverse the payment. You're now £3350 out of pocket and you've also lost your car.

For them at worst they end up with £550, at best they end up with £550 and your car.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    That's very unlikely and I've never heard of the scammers actually coming to pick up a car. They would have to give fake details on the V5 and then avoid any ANPR cameras or police on the way back because they wouldn't be able to insure it or tax it without giving out genuine card details and address.

What usually happens is that they just send a fake email to make it look like they have been paid and then ask for western union details.
    They do this hundreds of times and every so often someone will fall for it and they get £500.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    cjdavies
    "He's told me he's on vacation in Germany and he's wanting to buy it for a friends birthday"

Scam straight away, but also adds to by mentioning pick up agent and western union.
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 10th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Aced2016
    Read the first line and didn't need to go any further ? It's a scam, very well known one.

If someone wants to buy your car they will come and see the car and pay you. Don't even reply back.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    LeeUK
    No one will ever be coming for the car. The PayPal emails will be fake and there will be no trace of anything in your actual PayPal account. They get £550 of your money through Western Union and that will be the last you hear of it.

The people on here who actually believe that they will deposit real (stolen) money in your PayPal account and come and collect the car are half way to believing the scam themselves!
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 10th Jun 17, 11:04 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Working in Germany, buying for a friend...

Working on oil rig in North Sea, buying for my son...

Serving in armed forces abroad etc. etc. etc.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 11th Jun 17, 2:34 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Korkyb
    Methinks MrDereks post is a bit tongue in cheek.

;-)
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 26,020 Posts
    • 10,375 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Thanks for all your great insight, it's so clear.
    And now the scammer has your paypal details and im guessing more info about you than you realise.

Seen the recent adverts on TV??
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • moneysaver
    • By moneysaver 11th Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    moneysaver
    Check out the grammar for starters.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 11th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    - Tells an elaborate story. Check
    - Paypal or western Union. Check

This is a scam.

Ask for Paypal payment and provide an address the other end of the country as a pick up point, though try to make it believable, say you have been sent there with work last miute. Make sure they waste a few pounds getting there, and then ignore all future contact.

Of course dont ever send them any money.
    Last edited by parking_question_chap; 11-06-2017 at 9:37 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,609Posts Today

6,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin