Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 10th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,242Posts
    • 251Thanks
    britishboy
    Toilet takes 45 minutes to refil
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    Toilet takes 45 minutes to refil 10th Jun 17 at 10:49 AM
    our toilet backs straight on to the built out wall (you cant see the cistern where the water refills), and after a flush, it wont flush again for maybe 45 minutes, any ideas what to check and if its an easy fix?

If you try to flush it again, you get about half a cup of water trickle out. Also, you cant actually hear it refilling after a flush? Any tips please??
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jun 17, 10:50 AM
    • 59,231 Posts
    • 345,796 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:50 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:50 AM
    Did it suddenly start doing that, or has it just got slower and slower over the last 2-3 years?
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 10th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    Sorry, in wrong forum, should be in DIY section

PasturesNew, its always been like it since we moved in, couple of years but it was way down on our list of things to get fixed, until now...
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 31,395 Posts
    • 37,100 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    Going to need to access the cistern , the valve is sticking or the float is faulty

All need access to replace
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 10th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    Could be the isolating valve is not properly turned on.
    Could also be a filter that is blocked on the valve inlet although not all valves have a filter.
    HTH
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    This is why I never follow the trend for hidden/inaccessible cisterns or indeed anything of the sort. Missus wanted a tiled floor in the bathroom, it would have cost £££, I was like "no f*****g way", three weeks later a pipe T junction busts a leak under the middle of the bathroom floor........
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 10th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    Seen this twice before
    A bit of muck/small stone whatever stuck in the water inlet orifice to the toilet.
    Reduces the flow in VERY considerably as the orifices are quite small.
    The inlet orifice is right inside the valve unit and is what the washer butts up against.

If so then the solution is to remove the inlet valve assembly and clean out thoughly. Once valve is removed blockage can sometime be extracted by blowing in reverse down the inlet to push back out the blockage.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 10th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    Seen this twice before
    A bit of muck/small stone whatever stuck in the water inlet orifice to the toilet.
    Reduces the flow in VERY considerably as the orifices are quite small.
    The inlet orifice is right inside the valve unit and is what the washer butts up against.

If so then the solution is to remove the inlet valve assembly and clean out thoughly. Once valve is removed blockage can sometime be extracted by blowing in reverse down the inlet to push back out the blockage.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    Yes I had one where a dead wasp was blocking the nozzle.
    • Turned out nice.
    • By Turned out nice. 10th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Turned out nice.
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be a split siamp diaphragm, cost about £3 to get a new one.
    You may have a different set up of course.
    • alanjuk
    • By alanjuk 10th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    alanjuk
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be a split siamp diaphragm, cost about £3 to get a new one.
    You may have a different set up of course.
    Originally posted by Turned out nice.
    Yep, had that on more than one occasion
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 10th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    Swipe
    Have you tried rebooting it?
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 10th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    Gambler101
    Have you tried rebooting it?
    Originally posted by Swipe
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be a split siamp diaphragm.
    Originally posted by Turned out nice.

Sounds painful !
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • mchale
    • By mchale 11th Jun 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    mchale
    Any tips please??
    Originally posted by britishboy
    Try switching off mains water supply, turn on kitchen tap until no water comes out then switch off tap, flush toilet until cistern empty, then turn on mains water supply, rush of water may dislodge blockage.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    coffeehound
    It may be easier to just unscrew the nozzle to let the debris out. Not sure whether the newer mechanisms are more difficult to disassemble.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 11th Jun 17, 11:51 AM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 4,849 Thanks
    jack_pott
    My cistern developed the same problem, it just needs a new washer in the fill valve. My new toilet came with a spare washer, it's about a ten minute job to fit it.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 11th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    All very sensible suggestions but OP cannot get to the cistern, it seems to be built into a wall.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    coffeehound
    All very sensible suggestions but OP cannot get to the cistern, it seems to be built into a wall.
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    Ah I see the logic of mchale's suggestion now.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 11th Jun 17, 3:48 PM
    • 8,799 Posts
    • 4,396 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    My experience of toilet innards is that they do fail. Maybe only once in a decade but blocking one in entirely seems very very short sited - are you 100% certain that there is no access?
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 11th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    My experience of toilet innards is that they do fail. Maybe only once in a decade but blocking one in entirely seems very very short sited - are you 100% certain that there is no access?
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Yes. I'd bite the bullet and sort out access to the cistern now. you're bound to need access at some time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

998Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin