Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 10th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 3,052Posts
    • 5,819Thanks
    jackyann
    Chia seeds
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    Chia seeds 10th Jun 17 at 10:41 AM
    2 very sensible & good cooks I know have recommended Deliciously Ella Every Day, and looking through, I can see why, although I would definitely adapt (as I always do!).
    However, I am unconvinced by 'chia seeds' which are expensive. Any good MSE alternatives?
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 13,162 Posts
    • 36,010 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    Actually - re "expensive" - chia seeds are even available these days at Aldi
    ploughing my own furrow...

They have lessons in schools these days on resisting peer pressure
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 10th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    Aren't they just the latest trendy 'superfood'?

Deliciously Ella seems to be all 'clean eating' and 'trendy' (read VERY expensive, with no scientifically proven evidence for claims) superfood ingredients to me
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 11th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    No, although I think that's how it's promoted, it has some good recipes in it - she cares about good food.
    And I am used to substituting sensible things for trendy expensive ones. I am also quite unswayed by the latest fads, having seen many come & go.

It was just the chia seeds that threw me a bit. I don't have an Aldi nearby, but have to say that whilst Lidl are good value generally, they do over-price a few things.

Anywy, as I progress, I'll report in!
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 11th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,547 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    Chia seeds are not expensive. Once put in liquid, they double in size, making them really cost effective.
    I get mine from Aldi. I recommend her maple ginger chia pudding, its really nice. I also mix it up with leaving out the ginger, adding cocoa/cacao powder and a little PB!
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    Ok, let's have a truthful verdict here.

Do chia seeds not come with side effects?
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 11th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 7,727 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    They are high in fibre, so yes they do But it's like anything, a tablespoonful or so a day probably won't be a problem for most people. Just don't overdo it.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 13,162 Posts
    • 36,010 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 11:33 AM

I don't know - do they?

I'm picturing them as maybe "acting like a new broom" and doing a thorough "internal clean" iyswim...
    ploughing my own furrow...

They have lessons in schools these days on resisting peer pressure
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 39,982 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    No, although I think that's how it's promoted, it has some good recipes in it - she cares about good food.
    And I am used to substituting sensible things for trendy expensive ones. I am also quite unswayed by the latest fads, having seen many come & go.

It was just the chia seeds that threw me a bit. I don't have an Aldi nearby, but have to say that whilst Lidl are good value generally, they do over-price a few things.

Anywy, as I progress, I'll report in!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Do you have a H0meBargain$ near to you? They do pouches of whole chia seeds at £1.49 for 200g. Take it from me, 200g would make a lotta pudding....... The pouches are usually where the fruit and nuts are, next to the crisps/pop-corn/cranberries/dried mango. Or sometimes they are nearer to the 'home baking' section, with the flaked almonds, dates and sugars. It does seem to depend on where the particular branch seems to put them. They also change the packaging - so I can't describe what to look out for - sorry! EDIT: I've just looked at the pack I had and it was 'Natural Selection' brand. However, I bought it some time ago, and I know that our local HB have now got their own 'brand' chia seed packs - 'Bradburys'. HTH.

Greying
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 11-06-2017 at 7:37 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 11th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 4,068 Thanks
    ariarnia
    Flaxseed/linseed (same thing) has a similar nutritional profile and I find them a bit more flexible when cooking as they have a nice 'nutty' taste when toasted.

You can get gold or brown linseed online for around £3 a kilo.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jun 17, 9:23 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

Flaxseed/linseed (same thing) has a similar nutritional profile and I find them a bit more flexible when cooking as they have a nice 'nutty' taste when toasted.

You can get gold or brown linseed online for around £3 a kilo.
    Originally posted by ariarnia
    I absolutely hate these, they make my life a living bloated hell. I dread to think what would happen if caught up in the diverticula of a susceptible person. On that basis, no way Jos!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter