Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happydays43
    • By Happydays43 10th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Happydays43
    Help or advice req please
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    Help or advice req please 10th Jun 17 at 10:33 AM
    Hi all
    I'm really needing some advice and would welcome any responses that would help me.

I purchased a refurbished phone from a trading company online. They appeared to have good reviews and I paid nearly £400. Delivery was 10 days rather than 3-5 days and customer service was really poor. They took they money from my account within two working days 'tho...
    Anyway, the phone arrived but the battery was not holding a charge. After day 4, it died and couldn't be recharged.
    I contacted the firm and asked for a refund as they have a 14 day refund policy but was aware as the item was faulty I was entitled to a refund also. The firm have contacted me to say they are looking at the phone and will repair it first before I get my refund. I am confused here. Why do I need to wait for a phone to be repaired when I have returned the faulty item for a refund?

I am growing more and more concerned they will find a fault and state it was my fault and refuse the refund. I am unsure how to prove this otherwise as it states clearly if I opened the phone, the warranty and refund policy would be void?
    I'm really upset as the phone was a gift for my daughter and I had saved for ages and now can't afford a new one.

Any advice really appreciated. xx
Page 1
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    They have the option to repair, replace or refund and waiting 10 days for delivery i doubt it has come from within the UK.

Who is the company?
    How did you pay?

what phone was £400 for a refurb, you could get a brand new iphone from Giffgaff for that.
    Last edited by angryparcel; 10-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    • Happydays43
    • By Happydays43 10th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Happydays43
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    Hi

Thanks for reply.

Yes the company are based in England. Apparently the phone was out of stock, hence wait...
    The phone was returned after 5 days and they offer a 14 day return policy for refund. I paid by debit as I don't have a credit card. Phone returned on the basis it was faulty and not as ordered (I wanted a phone that worked)
    I have an email from them stating they will provide a refund but want to repair the phone first - not sure how or why as I am not wanting it repaired - I just want my money back as I have had so many issues with the company.
    For this phone, similar new would be out of my price range so a refurb looked like an attractive alternative.
    Thanks again.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 10th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    Hi all
    I'm really needing some advice and would welcome any responses that would help me.

I purchased a refurbished phone from a trading company online. They appeared to have good reviews and I paid nearly £400. Delivery was 10 days rather than 3-5 days and customer service was really poor. They took they money from my account within two working days 'tho...
    Anyway, the phone arrived but the battery was not holding a charge. After day 4, it died and couldn't be recharged.
    I contacted the firm and asked for a refund as they have a 14 day refund policy but was aware as the item was faulty I was entitled to a refund also. The firm have contacted me to say they are looking at the phone and will repair it first before I get my refund. I am confused here. Why do I need to wait for a phone to be repaired when I have returned the faulty item for a refund?

I am growing more and more concerned they will find a fault and state it was my fault and refuse the refund. I am unsure how to prove this otherwise as it states clearly if I opened the phone, the warranty and refund policy would be void?
    I'm really upset as the phone was a gift for my daughter and I had saved for ages and now can't afford a new one.

Any advice really appreciated. xx
    Originally posted by Happydays43
    During the first thirty days following the sale, if the goods do not conform to contract you can reject them for a full refund.

You do not have to accept a repair or a replacement if you don't want to.

This short extract from MSE's Consumer Rights guide confirms this:
    Get a full refund within 30 days

This is a nice new addition to our statutory rights. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 changed our right to reject something faulty, and be entitled to a full refund in most cases, from a reasonable time to a fixed period (in most cases) of 30 days. After that, you lose the short-term right to reject the goods and you'll have fewer rights, such as only being able to ask for a repair or replacement, or a full or partial refund if this doesn't work.
    The rest of that article is worth reading too.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 10-06-2017 at 7:50 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

9,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin