Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrMayfair
    • By MrMayfair 10th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrMayfair
    How do I register my name on Electoral roll ? But....
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    How do I register my name on Electoral roll ? But.... 10th Jun 17 at 9:52 AM
    I live with one of my relatives but she doesn't want my name to be registered at her address and on electoral roll . I don't pay any rent to her but want to register with electoral roll for my credit rating . What are other options . Any other way to be on electoral roll but continue staying at my current address .
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 27,980 Posts
    • 71,131 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    I live with one of my relatives but she doesn't want my name to be registered at her address and on electoral roll .
    Originally posted by MrMayfair
    Why not?............
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 16,751 Posts
    • 10,975 Thanks
    molerat
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    Council tax evasion probably
    Or maybe a touch of benefit fraud
    Who knows, I cannot think of any legitimate reason
    Last edited by molerat; 10-06-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • CIS
    • By CIS 10th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 9,904 Posts
    • 5,649 Thanks
    CIS
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    Council tax evasion probably
    Or maybe a touch of benefit fraud
    Who knows, I cannot think of any legitimate reason
    Originally posted by molerat
    You've hit on probably the most common reasons in my experience.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    Shame that for all the above not registering someone on the electoral roll doesn't actually help to do anything to prevent you being caught.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 10th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    I moved into a flat 3.5 years ago. Registered in electoral register straightaway and as I live on my own applied for and got the 25% single occupant discount on my council tax.

About 6 months later I received a letter from my council wanting to know why there was another person in the electoral register and from the tone of the letter was accusing me of defrauding them.

The name on the register was the previous owner and I was able to send an equally snotty letter back to the council. I never received an apology or acknowledgement from them but no further queries were raised.

So depending on the council they may cross check eventually.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 10th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 9,904 Posts
    • 5,649 Thanks
    CIS
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    Every few years the National Fraud initiative cross references several dozen databases including the council ones so, depending on the circumstance,s if the OP's relative is receiving any discounts they may well get contact from the council anyway at some point.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,367Posts Today

7,053Users online

Martin's Twitter