Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KingL
    • By KingL 10th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,602Posts
    • 740Thanks
    KingL
    Since Creators, USB modem works on Tablet but not on Laptop
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    Since Creators, USB modem works on Tablet but not on Laptop 10th Jun 17 at 8:53 AM
    Hi

I have a (ZTE) USB modem that I use to connect to the internet over the mobile phone network. Since "upgrading" my laptop to Win 10 Creators edition, I have not been able to launch a connection. The (telstra) dialling app returns "The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly."

However, exactly the same setup on my tablet computer works just fine. Same OS, same dialler sotware, same drivers, same UI settings, same device.

I have removed/reinstalled the drivers, and dialler software

I infer that something else on my laptop is conflicting, but don't know what.

I have tried everything in here:
    https://appuals.com/fix-error-633-modem-or-other-connecting-device-is-already-in-use/

The stuff (5 and 6) about conflicts on port 1723 looked hopeful, but didn't help. Is it possible I am using a different port? If so, how do I find out which one?

the nets.txt text is here:
    http://textuploader.com/d0kei

any ideas ? It's OK on Anniversary edition, but I'm sure they won't let me stay on that forever.

TIA

Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    Would it not be easier, if its allowed on your mobile phone provider, just to create a hotspot on a capable mobile phone and then you can tether the Windows 10 laptop and your tablet to that?

It's documented here that Creators Update can break some older USB dongles/modems:
    https://tech.blorge.com/2017/05/03/windows-10-creators-update-usb-dongle/156033

But that being said if you're able to do it I think using a hotspot would be better in the long run for you.
    • KingL
    • By KingL 10th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    KingL
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    if its allowed on your mobile phone provider
    eer, it isn't.

I also use it as a secure connection when travelling. I use a different network provider in each country and most of them don't allow tethering. (So it's not like I can just switch to a different provider).

• WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    eer, it isn't.

I also use it as a secure connection when travelling. I use a different network provider in each country and most of them don't allow tethering. (So it's not like I can just switch to a different provider).
    Originally posted by KingL
    Maybe time to move to a MiFi. You can buy them for as little as £10.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 10th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 8,783 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    Or free with many contracts, If the existing contract is outside minimum term you may even angle to get one free from your existing provider.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    Or free with many contracts, If the existing contract is outside minimum term you may even angle to get one free from your existing provider.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    I use a different network provider in each country ...
    They don't have a mobile broadband contract in the first place. So that's not the answer in this case. The things are cheap enough anyway.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    Argos have a 3G Huawei 5330 with a 2GB EE SIM for £19.99.
    So that gives 2GB of data roaming for up to a month throughout the EU(once you activate the SIM) from the 15th of June.

Costs £0.99p to unlock to all networks.

Check the model number before proceeding with the purchase of the unlock code. Can actually be unlocked for free, but I can't be bothered to look for the calculator.

Otherwise you can find a second hand 4G EE Osprey on Gumtree for around £20.
    • KingL
    • By KingL 10th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    KingL
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    Thanks for the answers.

Mifi is new territory for me.

Presumably you manage the wifi connection between computer and modem via the usual wifi settings on the computer, but what about şe connection between modem and telco? Some of the countries I go to have pay-per-minute data. So if this device wants an "always on" internet connection, it is no good for me. Does it come with a connection manager to dial and drop the call? I need that. If so, does it still work after you unlock the modem? I used to have a 3 dongle that connected itself as soon as you plugged in and you had no other control over it.

I need to swap the sim card over repeatedly, a different one for different countries. Roaming with a UK telco is non-starter. Is it easy to switch the sim card?

Don't network providers just see this as anoşer form of tethering?

I see you have to recharge it through USB. Freeing up a USB port is about the only advantage I can see of going this way, and it presumably won't be very free if its being used for chargiñg. I guess MiFi isn't out of the question, but I think I'd rather fix the old one if possible.

Last edited by KingL; 10-06-2017 at 3:36 PM.

• KingL
    • By KingL 10th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    KingL
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    and the Connection Manager dialler software to dial/drop the session with the telco. ? Is there one? That is new and shiny and Win 10 Creators compatable? The sw I have at the moment might be the cause of the problem, so just buying new hardware might not help .

• WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    Thanks for the answers.

Mifi is new territory for me.

Presumably you manage the wifi connection between computer and modem via the usual wifi settings on the computer, but what about şe connection between modem and telco? Some of the countries I go to have pay-per-minute data. So if this device wants an "always on" internet connection, it is no good for me. Does it come with a connection manager to dial and drop the call? I need that. If so, does it still work after you unlock the modem? I used to have a 3 dongle that connected itself as soon as you plugged in and you had no other control over it.

I need to swap the sim card over repeatedly, a different one for different countries. Roaming with a UK telco is non-starter. Is it easy to switch the sim card?

Don't network providers just see this as anoşer form of tethering?

I see you have to recharge it through USB. Freeing up a USB port is about the only advantage I can see of going this way, and it presumably won't be very free if its being used for chargiñg. I guess MiFi isn't out of the question, but I think I'd rather fix the old one if possible.

You are jumping to erroneous conclusions.

With a MiFi you have both the option of connecting via USB as you do currently and connecting via the wireless connection that it creates.

When it comes to charging, you can charge via the mains via a USB plug or charge from your laptop via a USB lead.
    So you can use in exactly the same manner as you do with your USB modem if you wish. But there is really no need.
    If you connect via USB you can utilise a connection manager. But you have the options of connecting wirelessly and charging via mains electricity.

If you connect wirelessly, you connect to the connection manager via your Browser. You make the connection to the laptop and then type 192.168.1.1 into your address bar.
    Log in using the default admin:admin for username and password and you are in to the connection manager.
    Change the password from it's default immediately, so that no one can enter the interface other than yourself.
    You have total control over the connection.
    Once unlocked, you can use any SIM, from any country. The 2GB of Roaming is just a free bonus, as you can use it within the EU regardless of whether the unit is lock or unlocked.
    If you can use the SIM in the USB modem, you can use it in the MiFi. There is no difference in the method of connection.
    Now get on with it instead of wasting your time.
    I wouldn't have recommended it if it would put you in a worse position.
    You'll just wonder why you didn't do it before
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    and the Connection Manager dialler software to dial/drop the session with the telco. ? Is there one? That is new and shiny and Win 10 Creators compatable? The sw I have at the moment might be the cause of the problem, so just buying new hardware might not help .
    Sheesh man.....

You will have full control. It will have exactly the same function as you have now, but no compatibility problems, as you don't need any Windows 10 Driver compatibility when connecting wirelessly.
    Once again, everything you have now, just better.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    As an added bonus, you can share that connection with any other device that uses a WiFi connection. So you can use the same SIM and therefore wireless connection for your Smartphone, Tablet, Smart TV.....rather than having to get a separate SIM for your phone whilst travelling. Up to ten different devices at the same time.
    So much more versatile. But at it's simplest, you can just plug it in to your laptop and utilise it in the same way as you do your USB modem.
    But the only reasons you would want to do that is either if it needed charging and there was no convenient mains charging point or that the network card in your laptop ceased to work or your were using a PC with no WiFi card installed.

As you can now see, it offers everything that you have now, but a lot more besides. More versatility.

SIM card switching takes seconds.
    • KingL
    • By KingL 10th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    KingL
    OK, thanks.

Actually, someone has just pointed me toward this registry hack which has fixed the problem with the original modem.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/dial-up-error-633-wbuild-15063-1703-creators-pro/2c5b280e-e246-4105-b8e6-58e413d2668e

I might have a look at the MiFi anyway sometime.

thanks

• WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 5:14 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    OK, thanks.

Actually, someone has just pointed me toward this registry hack which has fixed the problem with the original modem.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/dial-up-error-633-wbuild-15063-1703-creators-pro/2c5b280e-e246-4105-b8e6-58e413d2668e

I might have a look at the MiFi anyway sometime.

thanks
    Hokay. Glad that you got it fixed. Plus you have have some extra knowledge about MiFi as to it's suitability for your travel needs.
    • Im just careful
    • By Im just careful 11th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Im just careful
    @KingL

It wasn't by any chance the "free" ZTE MF627 dongle was it ?

That could be unlocked but needed a Telsra dongle manager.

I have one of those somewhere.....
    • KingL
    • By KingL 11th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    KingL
    Yep, that's the one! Still going strong

• WAYT
    • By WAYT 11th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    @KingL

It wasn't by any chance the "free" ZTE MF627 dongle was it ?

That could be unlocked but needed a Telsra dongle manager.

I have one of those somewhere.....
    Originally posted by Im just careful
    Indeed I was the one that posted it here all those years ago....and still hosting it to this day...somewhere or other.

Mobile Partner for the Huawei E160 was another popular download;

• KingL
    • By KingL 14th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    KingL
    The June 2017 Patch Tuesday updates seem to have fixed the source of the problem - now no need for the Registry mod. FYI.

• jackadision
    • By jackadision 11th Jul 17, 6:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackadision
    How to Fix Modem Error 633 after Windows 10 Creators Update?
    In order to get rid of Error 633 after Windows 10 Creators Update you should follow below given steps:

Reserve the TCP Port
    Use built-in Troubleshooter
    Remove/Uninstall all Irrelevant Internet Device Programs

Source: pcerror-fix.com/solution-modem-error-633-windows-10-creators-update
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

4,351Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin