Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Jun 17, 6:07 AM
    • 2,869Posts
    • 38,851Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 10 June 2017
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:07 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10 June 2017 10th Jun 17 at 6:07 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10 June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, cloudy, dull and overcast here, air feels warm, but looks like it could rain at any moment.

DH and myself up and enjoying first peaceful cuppas, he's now getting ready for work, I'm showered and dressed as I'm working too this morning. Boys still in their pits. DS2 wants to go to the gym this morning and I'll give him a lift as far as my work car park, he'll walk the last bit.

Dinner last night was chicken and ham kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk, I had a jacket potato and salad. Tonight we'll be having roast chicken portions, smokey kebabs, vegetable rice and vegetable noodle dish.

Yesterday I managed to get the ironing done, and continued with the washing, the basket was empty and most of it was line dried, although I did use the TD for 1 load just for 20 minutes to finish off, it wasn't dry enough to iron and put away and I didn't want wet washing hanging about the house.

My nails look stunning as always, and that makes me feel so much better, throat is improving and I think this virus is on it's way out as I've had a couple of nights much better sleep, and generally don't feel so rough.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-06-2017 at 6:23 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 37,802 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    Morning all

Still knackered but now I have a raging sore throat and upset stomach too.

I'm dropping Captain Hot Stuff at work, then shopping then meeting someone to take the last wardrobe from the house.

Then collecting CHS, back home to the boat and then on with the housework on the boat. I've not been on board long enough to keep it clean this week so it needs a good sweep and mop.

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs Hester
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 10-06-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 10th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    • 6,480 Posts
    • 89,676 Thanks
    redruby
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    Morning all

Nice bright day here I am off to work and hope it wont be too busy, only one more getty up then I can have a lay in.

DD is car - less atm she pulled into a garage yesterday for petrol and when she went to leave she had no brakes thank god she was not driving on the motorway at the time, we've had a chat and think its time she bought herself a newer car, she is doing such a lot of driving with her job that she needs it to be reliable. Luckily she got free roadside assistance with her insurance so they came and picked her and the car up and took it to a garage.

OH and DD in charge of domestics today I will leave dinner up to them too.

Have good days all xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 34,920 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    Good morning everyone.

It's pouring down and is set for the day I think. It's such a shame as there is an Armed Forces parade through the nearest town today, everyone will be soaked. There's been so much prep for it, shops are decorated too. My new sweet pea plants are looking battered already.

I'll be having a quiet day here though I have to organise all my student's work and my assessment papers onto a CD ready to give to the internal verifier and then be resulted. It's a faff.

My other quiet task is to convert another cassette recording into MP3 format. My DM is turning up gems in her quest to declutter. This one is also from 1979 and is a Christmas message from the Oz family and me during my first visit there. I can vividly remember making it so am excited to hear it again.

Fridge is full. Washing machine empty. Body tired!

Redruby - your DD was so lucky, what a relief.

Happy Saturday to all.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,127 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

Today I have a friend coming over for a coffee and a chat. She has 18 year old twins who are severely autistic and only have non-verbal communication. Sadly one of them has been in a residential school/home since he was 11 because he suffers from bipolar disorder as well and was becoming a danger to my friend and his brother. Because of his age he is now moving to a residential home and my friend had hoped that his other twin could go with him so that they could be together.

Sadly Social Services have placed them in separate homes for the time being even though there is a twin room free that they could share. I feel so sorry for her. I hope that by just listening and letting her vent that I can help in some small way because I don’t have any practical advice for her.

For the first time for a number of years I seem to be suffering from mild hay fever symptoms. I have been trying to work out what is causing it but so far haven’t been able to narrow it down. I am hoping that it disappears again like it has in the past.

Right, time for some tea and breakfast.

I hope that you all have a good day.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 10th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    Good morning all.
    It's raining here and will be for most of the day according to the forecast.
    We returned yesterday from a few days away in the caravan, had a nice little (partly wet) break.
    I've got plenty to do today, there's ironing, tidying, and will try and get round to defrosting the freezer - I've been talking about doing it for a couple of weeks, but really must just get on with it!!
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 22,273 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. There are some nasty bugs doing the rounds just now so hope everyone soon picks up. DD started with an eye infection which passed on eventually to all 3 DGDs and her BF. Its taking ages to shift, even using the prescribed gel to put in them. Just waiting for me and Mr TA to start with it next!

It's been raining overnight and I am worrying about the awning and wondering whether it's standing up to the rain. It's not like the torrential conditions earlier in the week so, fingers crossed, it should be ok! we can't keep driving up there to check on it! NAN I shall look into the Monsoon bars so thanks for that.

Part 2 of the postponed Friday clean this morning! Got the kitchen and bathroom done yesterday before I went out for the postponed lunch with my friends (followed by the postponed food shop!) so need to dust and vac round after breakfast. It's been a very disjointed week with one thing and another! It's middle DGDs 1st communion tomorrow and I haven't even had chance to get her a card yet so must pop in town this afternoon.

I am fancying a WW banana pancake for breakfast, topped with Greek yogurt and berries but, other than that, I haven't given a thought to today's menu. A browse in the freezer next methinks and see what tempts me. Fortunately Mr TA eats whatever is put in front of him, he's not as picky as me!

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) as always for the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. Take care all xx ps REDRUBY your DD was so lucky. You are right, if her jobs involves a lot of driving then she needs a car she can rely on. A necessary expense.
    Last edited by TravellingAbuela; 10-06-2017 at 7:58 AM.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 11,119 Posts
    • 153,450 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    It's a beautiful sunny start to the day here this morning and warm again, Mmmmmmmm! He Who Knows is starting to paint the stairs, landing and hall this morning, got all the prep done yesterday and I'm popping into town on the bus for a rip to Mr.T for a few essentials, I'm using things up so meat etc. is coming from the freezer and store room pantry for a while to use it all up prior to moving house. I found a lovely (on paper) property last night not too far from DD1 and close to the station to get to DD2 it's a 38 minute journey so much closer than the 2 and a half hours on a good run day from here.

The garden continues to give and give abundantly, I got more courgettes, the first handful of climbing French beans and a super picking of peas from the polytunnel last evening, podded out 1lb of succulent peas from their pods. Today I'll harvest the first of the beetroot and we're half way through a massive summer cabbage from in there too. In the garden I noticed yesterday that the loganberries are red and ripening, they have to be very ripe to make them edible without processing but we love them and there are strawberries to pick too. Love this time of year.

I had a decent nights sleep last night for the first time in a while and didn't wake up at silly o clock with the light levels so I've got my 'ping' back today and hopefully it will be a nice productive one, starting in a few minutes with steam mopping the floors, we're in and out so much they always seem to need doing!!!

Have a lovely day all xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 10th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    Morning all

Redruby- that was so lucky.

Didn't post yesterday, felt very low, no idea why, nothing different happened.
    Some times I feel 'cross' with myself. I have so much I should be grateful for so why feel like this.
    I have a nice home, food on the table, and been married forever to a kind sweet man, so why am I being stupid?
    Sorry
    Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 11,601 Thanks
    karcher
    Morning

Running late as my phone, which doubles as my alarm clock, had decided to switch itself off overnight , so I have overslept.

Isn't it always the same, the one night you actually sleep and could quite happily go back to sleep is also a day you have to get up and go to work!

Only a couple of hours work this morning then my weekend can start.

Hope everyone has a good weekend x
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I saw a mouse yesterday. It ran across my study as I was on the phone to my legal advice team. My ex-boss is threatening me if I don't go back and work my notice and sort out the mess.

The mouse was just the last straw. Traps duly bought. Obviously I don't have intelligent mice up here. This morning it is an ex-mouse. It seems to have been a clean kill.

Do they do traps large enough for ex-bosses?
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 12,107 Posts
    • 34,922 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Miserable rainy weather here today which is a real shame as my neighbour was planning a summer bouncy castle party in the back garden for the girls. Not sure if you use them in the rain but no doubt they will have chaotic fun inside instead.

Usual weekend cleaning stuff here with a visit to mum somewhere squeezed in.

Food wise I had one of my freezer curries last night ...Yeah something out instead of something in Also made some proper spicy onions to go with the nan..loads left of course.

Thinking of digging something out to cook for mum as well this weekend really need to boost the paltry bits she buys once a week. She enjoyed the French Onion Soup so Im thinking something soup or casserole based ...I have a load of potatoes on the turn (just starting to sprout) so if anyone has any great ideas to use them that would be great (I have a fairly full freezer x2 and stock cupboards) the only thing I dont have really is creamy stuff. Ill make a couple of batches of scones too as she does like something for her pudding.

Anyway for me its the freezer again for some pizza I got from the Italian last week ...Saturday night with pizza and coleslaw Really trying to chip away at the contents of the freezer but I am beginning to think its a losing battle

Hope you all have a lovely day
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 15,485 Posts
    • 126,246 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and thanks NMLC for starting us off.

H/H sounds like you have caught the bug thats doing the rounds ,look after yourself first, the mopping can come when you feel better.

Karcher its sods law that get-up-in-the-morning-feeling

RedRuby your DD was very lucky and it could have been so much worse.definitely a safer car is called for.

silver-oldie ,we all have 'off' days but today is a new one, so hopefully it will be a brighter one for you

Gers there is nothing nicer than a 'pottering' day

I normally have Saturdays as my 'do what I want to do ' day but this morning I have promised to go to eldest DDs school as its their fete and I normally get some nice plants for the garden there. She works in a special needs school and every penny thats raised goes towards giving the children there extra bits that the local LEA don't provide for, its such a happy school and the children are lovely. One dear little girl came up to me and said 'Your Mrs Stagg's Mummy aren't you, she is really nice and I like her lots ' and went off to play on a local fire engine that the local chaps bring to the school for the kids to climb all over
    So although I don't normally go out on a Saturday I am looking forward to today plus the sun has just come out so hopefully they will get lots of visitors there.

T/A sounds like you have a busy day ahead

Mrs LW your garden sound lovely I always think folk with green fingers are brilliant I have a chap who comes to keep my garden tidy once a fortnight, as I can no longer do bending or digging, I used to grow lots of stuff but now manage to grow only herbs in pots in my conservatory. My neighbour gave me a smashing pot of coriander last week and its very bushy and I think it will be around for awhile

S/ribbons ,sounds like another busy bee with a full day ahead

Nelski I hope your weekend is good and you are looking after yourself

and <<hugs>> to anyone who is feeling down,sad or just cheesed off with life at the moment

Take care all and be safe

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Jun 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 16,141 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

A dull morning here, light levels very low. I am taking my neighbour to town this morning, she needs to go in for bread. OH will go over and sit with her husband for an hour whilst we go. They had a hospital appointment yesterday, left here at 9.30, arrived back at 3.30.......he was seen as soon as they got to hospital but had to wait for transport home. Thankfully they did get something to eat and drink whilst they were waiting. I took a bowl of strawberries over for them.

We had our discussion re OH driving, he has agreed to only drive one way if we are out and to do what either I or the GPS says without argument.....wonder how long that will last???? I do think he loosed concentration though at times, so will be having a word with the Dr. After all he is 84 in a week, he maybe should think about giving up. We will see.

No plans for the rest of the day, maybe should shove the dyson over the sitting room carpet and the kitchen mats, will see how I feel when I get back from town.

Ham and cheese fritatta with salad for supper tonight, OH will see if there are any more strawberries ready.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 10th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 41,210 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

It's a wet and miserable start here, washing will go on the pulley and airer, I'll leave the bedding until tomorrow.

Had a lovely night out at a colleague's retirement do, lovely food and great company. I even got a lift there and back.

Your DD had luck on her side yesterday RR.
    Glad you're feeling better nmlc.
    Happy pottering Gers!
    Your produce sounds lovely Mrs LW, so far I have 2 strawberries!

Must go and collect some pictures from the framers this morning and go and weed the little allotment later, hope the weather cheers up.

Hope you all have a good weekend and the poorlies and unwells are feeling better. Take care. XX
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 19,745 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone, thanks for the thread nmlc.

Oh Ruby your poor DD but like you say could have been a lot worse, certainly sounds like she needs a more reliable car.
    Holly funny you should say but my hay fever has been a lot worse this year, especially itchy eyes, would be interesting to know why.
    How exciting on the house MrsLW fingers crossed that's it's as good in RL x
    Ha, I did lol at the comment re a mousetrap for you ex boss FBO

Dry and bright here in EA, we are set for a nice day so can spend time in the garden. Picked up some geraniums and a couple of v pretty gerberas at the nursery yesterday so I want to plant up my summer pots. The water feature could do with a clean out as well but will need a hand with that as it's a heavy millstone type thing, other than that not much planned. Have a hankering for a Chinese today so will pick up a takeaway, nice and easy there.

Have a good day folks x
    Last edited by LaineyT; 10-06-2017 at 9:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Jun 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 13,978 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Good morning, it is damp and cold. We have our annual event for families who use our service today, some of it is outside so I'm hoping that the rain stays away. I'll be working at that from 12 to 5, plus travel. Finished a big piece of work yesterday so when I finish today, that will be it until Wednesday as I'm having a couple of days off.

silver-oldie, hope you have a better day. RR I'm glad your daughter is safe and FBO I caught a mouse overnight, a clean kill. That's 2 this week. I put out 2 traps, one with peanut butter and one with Nutella, today's mouse went for the Nutella but I don't know if theye have preferences or if it was just the nearer iyswim.

I really should think about getting ready but had a dreadful night with pollen, yes, me too, and cba so far.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 4,969 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning
    It's pouring with rain here this morning.
    Dh not very well today and is sleeping at the moment, so I shall have a general tidy/ clean round later.
    Had S.O.S. call from elderly neighbour yesterday evening, so went round to find her very upset and distressed. It appears that she thinks her son is going to die very soon as she found an old envelope with birth, marriage and death certificates upstairs in a cupboard. (I know that her son had chemotherapy for cancer just before Christmas ) I tried to explain to her that nearly everyone has an envelope like that, for " just in case " and I stayed till she calmed down. Poor lady she sits in her house without the tv or radio on for company ( her choice as she has both ) and I think she's imagining all sorts . Sorry for the waffling but her daughter won't deal with her and I can't leave someone who is obviously hurting, whether things are real or not.
    Redruby glad your DD is ok, but scary eh ?
    NMLC good that you are feeling better
    Silver-oldie those down days are horrible and sometimes seem to come out of the blue. Hope you feel more you soon, take care of yourself.
    Nelski how about shepherds/cottage pie, both filling and nutritious if you put some veg in or with it.
    FBO many hugs, would a bear trap do ?
    DH has just woken up so will have a quick coffee and get cleaning !
    Hugs to all those who need/want one.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 32,671 Thanks
    Floss
    Very wet here today, DH was going to do some more hard labour on the allotment but decided to watch the rugby instead! Will do the outside jobs tomorrow I am currently patching my allotment jeans so they will be more decent next time I'm there

No need to go out today, so a NSD for me. Meal plan done before yesterdays shopping trip, so just a bit of fresh stuff to pick up later in the week from Aldi down the road, DH will get a low GI loaf from Lidl on Monday morning for his lunches, it seems to suit him and is really tasty.

Want to clean out the fridge & shuffle things around a bit, also got some ironing to do, a load of laundry to get dry & another to go in.

Hope LW has had a good holiday

Floss xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 34,920 Thanks
    Gers
    Well. it's been a strange old day here. Heavy rain all morning, low cloud and low temperatures. I was cold enough to light the woodburner. Two hours later the rain dries up, the clouds lift and the sun comes out. Now I'm boiling hot with the fire blazing and the front door open!

The fire will burn down soon. I'm on the sofa reading. Didn't get much else done, it's all good intentions though.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter