Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bmouthboyo
    • By bmouthboyo 10th Jun 17, 4:28 AM
    • 79Posts
    • 5Thanks
    bmouthboyo
    Mortgage Proof or Earnings Duration
    • 10th Jun 17, 4:28 AM
    Mortgage Proof or Earnings Duration 10th Jun 17 at 4:28 AM
    My wife and I will be returning to the UK having saved a considerable deposit abroad for a first home.

We seem to be getting mixed messages online and as we are not back in the UK just yet wondered if anyone can tell us how many months proof of earning in full time permanent employment we will need before being able to apply for a mortgage? is it 3 or 6?

Thanks
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 10th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 32,392 Posts
    • 17,394 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    It will vary from lender to lender and also depend on passing the lender's credit score.

I can think of one which will lend with a job offer and confirmed start date once you are back, if you can pass the credit score - (not Experian's 999 nonsense, the lender's internal score.).

Another requires six months back in the UK and six months employment.

Others won't lend until you've been back for two years or more so your employment situation is less important than you think.

It would be worth discussing this with an experienced independent mortgage broker so you can establish your options.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,508Posts Today

7,354Users online

Martin's Twitter