Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stranger12
    • By stranger12 9th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 553Posts
    • 16Thanks
    stranger12
    Garage roof change
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    Garage roof change 9th Jun 17 at 11:33 PM
    Hi guys,

I own a semi detached house and have a garage attached to t

The roof or ceiling is wood, very thin plywood and felt

Question is what is the roof refered to ,when i type garage roof to get some guide on how to do it, i can't see any guides.

I need to raise the roof and i think i can do that by buying thr joust and heavy duty joist hanger

Would you use wall plug to bolt the joist hanger to wall ?

Or would you run a straight peice of woof and terminate / clip all joist hangers on that wood?
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 11,615 Posts
    • 6,512 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    It's unclear what your trying to do, a flat roof will almost certainly sit on the top of the single skin brick walls, to raise this you would probably have to remove the roof and build up the walls first. If the roof has a lean/slope to it, then the first layer of bricks would have to be removed before attempting to build it up.

Garage roofs, garage doors, very hard to search online as Google always shows you pages of companies selling products/services.
    When I needed a side door for my garage, internet searching had me convinced it was impossible to find a standard wooden door, Google searching exterior doors just bought up pages and pages of companies selling fancy front doors, costing upwards of £500. In the end I went to a builders merchant and got a standard wooden exterior door for about £50, then paid a family friend to fit it.
    I have the same sort of issues trying to replace the main garage door, I just want a normal door, but Google wants me to buy some fancy electric roller door with bells and whistles for several thousand £.
    Last edited by Strider590; 10-06-2017 at 1:40 PM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin