Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • casseus
    • By casseus 9th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    • 94Posts
    • 43Thanks
    casseus
    Neighbour Issues driving me NUTS.
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    Neighbour Issues driving me NUTS. 9th Jun 17 at 10:50 PM
    Been Having issues with a neighbour now for a long period.

2 1/2yrs ago this person moved into ground floor flat in a block of flats next to my 3 bed house. From the outset he made it known he didn't like the area, he didn't like us, and didn't like children and was only there due to our HA placing him there. Fair enough so we left him well alone and told our children to do the same and stayed out his way.

From the outset when, weve and other neighbours I am friendly with, have had false allegations made against us, Weve had police turn up late at night on calls proved to be false. It got to the point the PCSO for my area was going back and forth both of us to try and resolve issues.
    I made the point of saying to the PCSO how can you resolve issues that don't exist but for only the mind of the person making these allegations and that he is using the police the council and HA as weapons to cause harassment, alarm and distress.

My HA completely Mishandled the situation putting the blame squarely on me and my other neighbours I am friendly with, issues premature breach of tenancy notices and contracts to behave and limiting my use of my own rented property!. I begged and begged HA to use a mediation service to resolve this, they agreed to and we were talking with them, He initially would speak with them on the phone but then started to not answer them or their letters, when they sent him a letter stating they were advising the HA to close the case all of a sudden he wanted to use the mediation service, when we were both asked do we want to resolve this in a peaceful controlled and managed environment he told them he didn't want it resolved at all he wanted it to remain as is. This spoke Volumes to the Mediation service who told us they got the impression he this was all intentional on his part. The mediation service quickly clocked on he just wanted a move to another area.

After several more weeks and me pleading with the HA and clearing my name via the ombudsmans involvement, HE was told to pipe down and that he will not be moved and the HA was taking no further actions to either party this was late 2016.

Now we come to this year and yet again he has called police on us 3 times making false accusations. Weve reported him to out HA from the get go now and not leave it in the hopes he will go away, The HA after coming off looking the wrong ones last time has told us that they wont be taking any action on what allegations he has made unless police contact them with details of evidence we have done wrong, our HA has also put this in writing to us to put our minds at ease. HE is now stepping things up and being verbally abusive to my kids and ourselves and neighbours, we record him, but police are reluctant to arrest him and are just giving out a police caution to and fine him with public order offensives.

HA say they will deal with him but after they way they treated us we have no confidence they will get it right and finally get rid of this person.

What if anything can we do?
Page 1
    • patman99
    • By patman99 9th Jun 17, 11:04 PM
    • 7,973 Posts
    • 9,399 Thanks
    patman99
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:04 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:04 PM
    Looks like the HA are setting themselves up for a serious complaint against them to the ombudsman.

Have you involved your local Councillor or MP?. How about involving your local press as well?. The HA will not like the adverse publicity they are getting as it may affect funding from the local council.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £244/ £1000 (that's 24.4%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • casseus
    • By casseus 10th Jun 17, 12:49 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    casseus
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:49 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:49 AM
    Looks like the HA are setting themselves up for a serious complaint against them to the ombudsman.

Have you involved your local Councillor or MP?. How about involving your local press as well?. The HA will not like the adverse publicity they are getting as it may affect funding from the local council.
    Originally posted by patman99
    local councillor is useless MP is pretty helpful but in reality has no clout with HA they completely ignored all his letters the last time but he does got to great lengths to try on your behalf.
    I'll give him another call and ask for some back up. Local press don't care either called them the last time not interested.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 10th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    The HA can't do anything other than give him what he wants. Which would mean his behaviour would be being rewarded. so they can't move him.

I think you need to keep the pressure up on the police for them to address the issue. It sounds like you need to meet with a more senior police officer, and then complain to your local police commissioner if nothing gets done.

Are you keeping a file on all the incidents and responses from HA/Police/etc? If not, try to start a file and complete it with as much as you can from memory, and then log everything as it happens.

The next step is to get all the neighbours together and arrange a counter-campaign. I wouldn't call the police on him unless he does something illegal, because you would be wasting their time.

But there are lots of imaginative things you could do to screw his life up. Making a list of these (in your head) would perhaps provide some light relief.

Sounds a bad situation, but I've heard of worse. Have you talked to him about why he wants to move? Is there some reasonable reason like wanting to be near his friends or family? Could you help him get what he want by more reasonable means?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 13,176 Posts
    • 36,059 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    Have you been able to get to the root of why this neighbour seems to think that pretending the neighbours (ie yourselves) are up to all sorts that you aren't in actual fact would get him transferred?

What was the response from the HA when you told them that he is only doing all this to try and get them to transfer him? and what are his chances of getting this transfer he wants?
    ploughing my own furrow...

No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 6,070 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:28 AM

What if anything can we do?
    Originally posted by casseus
    Keep providing evidence. If he wants to move ask the HA to explain his options of a mutual exchange or transfer and that these are unlikely to be allowed if he is a problem tenant.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 10th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    And people wonder why the police are so under resourced - this kind of thing really does boil my p1ss.

After x amount of false complaints the police should have him for wasting police time. Some people think that the police are some sort of family / anger / mediation management service for their own twisted ends.

I think your neighbour needs a doctor, hes not right in the head!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    report him for harassment and get an order against him?
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 10th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 1,775 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    The HA could simply evict him, so for them to say that they can't do anything is rubbish.

They might at least threaten to which could stop him.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 8,831 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    You should follow the formal complaint process with the HA. Carefully, exactly. It should be on their website - e.g.
    http://www.lqgroup.org.uk/comments-and-complaints/make-a-complaint

You've probably supplied all such info, but perhaps not according to their process: Ensure you comply with their process - I bet he does...
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 10-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    • casseus
    • By casseus 10th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    casseus
    I've spoken with a few people who know him they tell me it's a habit of him doing this when he doesn't get what he wants council apparently don't want him on their books because they have moved him twice now and continued to complain and cause distress. So no wonder they dont want anything to do with him when his name pops up apparently he isn't allowed to phone them due to his abuse of staff over the phone and can only write. I fired an email and digital copy of my complaints and incident logs and police log numbers off to my local inspector I'm hoping they can put pressure on HA to do something. I've also checked his Facebook account and he calling our HA estate the costa dell hell and make number of defamatory statements regarding my family and my neighbours and is completely lets fictional about how this place is apparently there was a drug raid on my home last week according to his FB account, I must have missed that one or had been out as I am anti drugs and he knows it. So I've screen shot it all and sent that off too to police and HA
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 8,040 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    teddysmum
    As above, I thought that problem tenants could be evicted , with no obligation to rehouse him as he has no children, so why are the HA and previously, council humouring him ?...A question worth asking.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 10th Jun 17, 9:02 PM
    • 5,782 Posts
    • 7,551 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Normally police won't keep giving cautions for the same/similar offence, and with harassment there are escalating steps they take, so you may need to keep reporting so that they are able to progress from caution to a formal charge.
    You can also ensure that you report each and every incident to the HA. I'd suggest doing so in writing (keeping a copy)
    Each time you report, specifically state that you feel his actions amount to harassment (or threats, as appropriate).
    Read your tenancy agreement and see what it says about behaviour towards other residents and explicitly reference that (e.g. "I / We believe that X's actions are in breach of s.xx of the tenancy agreement with HA, which states "[quote relevant bit]"" Add in the fact thst this is a repeating issue. e.g. " this is the 4th/5th/6th [as appropriate] time since [date] that neighbour has harassed us in this way and then ask what steps the HA is taking to prevent the harassment / anti-social behaviour continuing".

With the police, explicitly ask them to deal with the matter as harassment and to take steps towards charging him and/or seeking a restraining order.
    • trevormax
    • By trevormax 11th Jun 17, 1:36 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    trevormax
    BHE is now stepping things up and being verbally abusive to my kids and ourselves and neighbours, we record him, but police are reluctant to arrest him and are just giving out a police caution to and fine him with public order offensives.
    Warning - long post.

Firstly, understand that there are certain arrest necessities needed before an officer can arrest a person.
    Officers MUST consider if it is the correct course of action or if there is a better way the alleged offence can be dealt with.
    In your case, the officer has concluded that a police caution and Penalty Notice for Disorder (a.k.a. PND, a.k.a. a fine) was the most appropriate (for a s5 public order offence). I highly doubt there was sufficient necessity to arrest and it is highly likely that if the officer could have arrested him, there would have been exactly the same outcome or maybe less.

As someone has said, the more this continues, the more the response will escalate. Next time, it is likely to go to magistrate court.

Knowing this, as well as the fact that police are severly overstretched to the point of dangerous levels, I would hope that you would not think the police are doing nothing because they can't be arsed. Stuff like what is happening to you, while it is horrible to live through, is waaaaaay down low on the police's list of things to do. Down there with anti-social kids and off-road bikers. Any officer tasked with dealing with your nuissance neighbour will also have four or five other similar tasks to deal with as well as the energency calls, the domestics, the missing children etc etc.

Secondly, if he is posting things on a public forum which he knows to be false, then that is classed as malicious communications which is an offence the poice can deal with and not hard to prove. I note you have screenshot these comments. Report this to the police and they can deal with that.
    As he has already been given a caution, the next step could be magistrate court. If he is found guilty, then it is possible the CPS could apply a Criminal Behaviour Order or a restraining order (non-molestation order) which would compell him to cease this behaviour.
    This is unlikely though as it is usually given to persistant and repeat offenders. At this time, your neighbour is not at that level in the eyes of the courts.

To get to this level, you, and your neighbours need to report any public order, threats, harassment and malicious communications and then let the police do their job.

With the HA, you need to keep reporting this neighbour in writing and requesting all responses in writing. If they are not satisfactory, then escalate through their complaints procedure. If that is not satisfactory, then escalate to the ombudsman.

Before you start making complaints, familiarise your self with the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. Specifically, Part 2 and Part 6 s104. If you can throw this kind of information at the police, the HA AND the council ASB team and request a review of their response to your complaint, then it may spur them all in to action. However, for this to happen, there must be complaints of anti-social behaviour made against him by you and others in the community.

Finally, remember that this stuff takes a lot of time to resolve. He may havemental health problems. He may be a complete jack-!!! and may never change. Be patient. Keep calm and keep reporting.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 6,070 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    As above, I thought that problem tenants could be evicted , with no obligation to rehouse him as he has no children, so why are the HA and previously, council humouring him ?...A question worth asking.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    For a court to evict someone there has to be enough evidence of serious problems. A HA will only try for eviction if they have a good chance of getting it as it costs them money. I've been told 2.5k.

I believe many HAs prefer not to evict problem tenants as they consider housing difficult people part of their role which is very noble but is at the expense of the problem tenants neighbours.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 11th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    I've spoken with a few people who know him they tell me it's a habit of him doing this when he doesn't get what he wants council apparently don't want him on their books because they have moved him twice now and continued to complain and cause distress. So no wonder they dont want anything to do with him when his name pops up apparently he isn't allowed to phone them due to his abuse of staff over the phone and can only write. I fired an email and digital copy of my complaints and incident logs and police log numbers off to my local inspector I'm hoping they can put pressure on HA to do something. I've also checked his Facebook account and he calling our HA estate the costa dell hell and make number of defamatory statements regarding my family and my neighbours and is completely lets fictional about how this place is apparently there was a drug raid on my home last week according to his FB account, I must have missed that one or had been out as I am anti drugs and he knows it. So I've screen shot it all and sent that off too to police and HA
    If someone posted that kind of garbage on facebook I would be calling my attorney.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

8,232Users online

Martin's Twitter