Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Iceman2017
    • By Iceman2017 9th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Iceman2017
    Name on partners council rent book.
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    Name on partners council rent book. 9th Jun 17 at 10:41 PM
    Currently going threw the process of buying my parents council house with them. I'm going on mortgage with my dad as they can't get a mortgage for them selfs due to there age.
    My partner has a council property and I'm wanting to move in with her but wondered if I will be allowed to have my name on the rent book with buying a previous council house with my parents and my name being down there.
    Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 9th Jun 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 2,399 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:46 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:46 PM
    I for one am not going to bite
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 14,789 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    There are thousand and three threads here about RtB. You may note a common theme to them.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Jun 17, 9:12 AM
    • 8,831 Posts
    • 11,668 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:12 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:12 AM
    This is a wind-up, yeah?? Or just looking for a fight??
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 10th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    Is it too early in the day to open the popcorn?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 10th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 10,689 Posts
    • 6,980 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    quite thoughtful for the OP to purchase an asset for his parents that they can then sell in the future to fund any care needs they have. Will certainly give them more options rather than being restricted to any care that benefits may fund. Obviously this means that the OP may end up with nothing back from their helpful deed but that would not have been the intent surely
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 22,388 Posts
    • 12,914 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    quite thoughtful for the OP to purchase an asset for his parents that they can then sell in the future to fund any care needs they have.
    Presumably the house will be registered as TIC with a three way split?

If care were required by only one parent, the house could not be taken into account?

If by two and the house had to be sold, the OP would receive his portion of the value after the mortgage was repaid?
    • Iceman2017
    • By Iceman2017 10th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Iceman2017
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    The house wouldn't be mine purely doing it to help the parents out.
    Planning on moving out next year but wasn't sure how it would work with my name being on the mortgage.
    Just looking for friendly advice,
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Jun 17, 11:53 PM
    • 14,789 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:53 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:53 PM
    Planning on moving out next year but wasn't sure how it would work with my name being on the mortgage.
    Just looking for friendly advice,
    Originally posted by Iceman2017
    If you're going on the mortgage, then the property WILL be partly yours.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jun 17, 12:06 AM
    • 2,667 Posts
    • 3,641 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    No one's parents are helped out by anyone buying their council house. In fact once you and your parents own this house your parents will be significantly more at risk of becoming homeless. If you loose your job and cannot pay the mortgage on this house there are no benefits to pay if for you. If the house is repossessed your parents will be homeless. The council will not rehouse them they will have to find something in the private sector that they can afford. This might be a double room in a shared house depending on how much income they have. At the moment there is no danger of them becomeing homeless they will be able to rent their house from the council for the rest of their lives. I don't know whose idea this was but if your parents have never owned a house before they do not realise the dangers of becoming homeless.

If they become ill the house will have to be sold to pay for their care. You are unlikely to inherit more than a 3rd. Your parents will not be allowed to leave the rest to you. There shares will be used to fund their care.

The kindest thing that you can do for your parents is to not agree to this scheme. There is nothing in it for your parents only for you. For your benefit you will be risking your parents becoming homeless.
    • trevormax
    • By trevormax 11th Jun 17, 1:50 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    trevormax
    You may have noble intentions however you may not understand the high risks involved to both you and your parents.

As has been said, there is risk your parents could become homeless if the mortgage payments arent made. Also, if you do not intend to live there, it might make getting a mortgage very difficult.

There is signifficant risk to your investment if they need to go in to a care home.

There are many repair and maintenance costs involved which are currently paid for by the council.
    Boiler needs replacing? Thats a grand or two.
    Kitchen getting old and falling apart? Theres another 3 or 4 grand.
    Window been smashed, thats gonna cost £££.
    Roof leaking?
    Front door falling off? etc etc. All currently covered by the council.

In relation to your question. It is not easy to just get your name added to a council tenancy with your partner. There are lots of rules and I think these are different from council to council. Easiest way to find out is for your partner to phone up her housing officer and ask them. Make sure she points out that you are currently NOT living with her or it could affect any housing benefit and council tax reductions. If it is anything like my council, then you'd need to be living there for a year first (and able to prove it).
    Personally, I think she would be better off NOT adding you since it makes things very complicated if you are added and then split up.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 27,986 Posts
    • 71,148 Thanks
    Mojisola
    If you really believe this, then you haven't researched the subject.

Your parents have the gold-standard of accommodation in their council property - all maintenance and repairs paid for by someone else, they can't lose their home and their rent will be paid for through benefits if their income drops.
    Last edited by Mojisola; 11-06-2017 at 9:10 AM.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 11th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 10,932 Thanks
    Money maker
    Not to mention that you probably have diddly squat chance of taking out another mortgage unless you are a high earner so what happens to mum and dad when you want to settle down with a wife and family?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 27,986 Posts
    • 71,148 Thanks
    Mojisola
    My partner has a council property and I'm wanting to move in with her
    Not to mention that you probably have diddly squat chance of taking out another mortgage unless you are a high earner so what happens to mum and dad when you want to settle down with a wife and family?
    Originally posted by Money maker
    Or buy the GF's council property?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 16,764 Posts
    • 10,985 Thanks
    molerat
    There are some councils with a clause that home owners cannot be council tenants.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 10,767 Posts
    • 14,876 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    I find it rather odd that you would join a forum to ask this question rather than just asking the council involved.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

4,411Users online

Martin's Twitter