Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 9th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 63Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    Sky disconnected prior to agreed date
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    Sky disconnected prior to agreed date 9th Jun 17 at 10:17 PM
    We recently decided to switch to virgin from sky for our TV/Broadband as they had a good introductory offer and £75 cashback from quidco. So generally all seemed to be going smoothly.

We had an install date for virgin, so we gave Sky 1 month notice which was 3 weeks before the virgin date to give us a slight overlap.

I gave sky notice via their live chat. Whilst I was chatting to them I received the confirmation email which stated I had given 14 day notice to cancel the broadband and 31 day for TV. This was of course incorrect as we wanted the full 31 days for both (which we had just paid for - month in advance). I was still chatting to the sky advisor and mentioned that I wanted the 31 days. He confirmed that he would change it. I took a screenshot of this conservation just in case.

Our connection was lost after 14 days not 31. Called sky and they said it is not possible for them to reconnect and there is nothing they can do. I am obviously frustrated as I need the internet for work at home. Its only 7 days but my question (finally) is, is it likely I could claim the money I am going to spend on data back from sky? I am worried about racking up a high bill when sky have clearly made a mistake.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 9,852 Posts
    • 4,057 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    You can claim if you have a business broadband service with service level agreements .
    • cajef
    • By cajef 10th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    cajef
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    I am obviously frustrated as I need the internet for work at home. Its only 7 days but my question (finally) is, is it likely I could claim the money I am going to spend on data back from sky? I am worried about racking up a high bill when sky have clearly made a mistake.
    Originally posted by lwhiteman88
    As above if you need the internet for work and have a business contract you may be able to claim something, otherwise I doubt Sky will be interested.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 10th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    Thank you both for the reply but unfortunately its not a business account.

Just to make things a little more interesting Virgin have now said that they need to get approval from the local authority which can take 6-8 weeks!

Does anyone know a good short term broadband provider? Is it too late to cancel virgin at this stage?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 18,381 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    Now TV do a rolling monthly contract. I was with them while waiting for Virgin and they were fine.

As an aside, don't take the 6-8 weeks Virgin say as gospel. I gave up waiting and cancelled after 15 weeks when they still didn't have an idea of when the work would take place. And this wasn't even a council related delay, just Virgin's poor control of their contractors!

• angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 6:02 PM

Does anyone know a good short term broadband provider? Is it too late to cancel virgin at this stage?
    Originally posted by lwhiteman88
    short term get a mobile mifi
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,113Posts Today

8,304Users online

Martin's Twitter