Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wig
    • By Wig 9th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 13,530Posts
    • 7,322Thanks
    Wig
    Leasing a vehicle
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    Leasing a vehicle 9th Jun 17 at 9:46 PM
    A lot of people lease these days. Just wondering when you lease, who pays for the servicing, and new tyres, exhausts etc, and repair costs?

You would think it would all be included in the lease agreement. But I suppose they are not that kind of lease?
    My latest discovery, LSAT test questions online, logical questions, fun to do. Find example and past tests online, start at the LSAC.org website.
Page 1
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 9th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 9,559 Posts
    • 6,952 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    A lot of people lease these days. Just wondering when you lease, who pays for the servicing, and new tyres, exhausts etc, and repair costs?

You would think it would all be included in the lease agreement. But I suppose they are not that kind of lease?
    Originally posted by Wig
    Leasing deals can include maintenance - meaning that servicing, tyres, etc. are included in the monthly price.

Obviously the maintained lease generally costs more than a non-maintained lease.

If for example you have a two year lease and only do 6000-8000 miles per year, it's unlikely the tyres will need to be replaced unless the driving style is inefficient. Therefore the main cost would be servicing - some manufacturers offer two year servicing so you may need to service it before it goes back. It's a case of evaluating whether a maintenance plan would be good value.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• w211
    • By w211 10th Jun 17, 12:09 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    w211
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:09 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:09 AM
    Leased cars will have a warranty usually three years, which is often the most common period of leasing a car (though you can have leases from 1 to 4 years). So anyhing which goes wrong/doesn't work, will usually be fixed free of charge.

Some leases (if not, most), require your car to be serviced at a main dealer, rather than an independent, which usually means you're paying more for servicing (if you don't have a maintenance plan).

With repairs, leased cars have to be returned in an "as-new" condition, and they allow small dents/scuffs of a certan size as normal wear and tear, otherwise you'll be charged for anything major when you hand the car back.

Tyres (unless included in the lease), may have to be of a certain make (usually, any reputable make will do), and matching on each axle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

998Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin