Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • socrates
    • By socrates 9th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,804Posts
    • 1,714Thanks
    socrates
    Moving to Hatfield, Herts
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    Moving to Hatfield, Herts 9th Jun 17 at 8:01 PM
    My friend is downsizing and moving to Hatfield - he is looking at property in Hatfield Garden Village area - he doesn't need a train station or schools - but having seen a property today he noticed an estate near by....

This is his last move and he is trying to get it right

Does anyone have any input who knows Hatfield - is this location OK - his budget is up to £500k and it must be 4 bedrooms

Thanks in anticipation ......
Page 1
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    leslieknope
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    i live fairly close to hatfield and aside from the galleria and uni there is nothing there. he'd do better off going elsewhere in herts. hatfield is overpriced too for being on the london commuter belt
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • socrates
    • By socrates 9th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    socrates
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    I must explain he drives into Central London 5 nights a week after rush hour and returns before the morning rush hour - so he needs to be able to get in and out easily

Any suggestions?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    hatfield is overpriced too for being on the london commuter belt
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    And for having an insane rental market for students.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 35,472 Posts
    • 149,634 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    I must explain he drives into Central London 5 nights a week after rush hour and returns before the morning rush hour - so he needs to be able to get in and out easily

Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by socrates
    Shenley? Not sure of current prices, but plenty of modern housing and no train station to push prices up; easy access to M25 and A1.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 9th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    leslieknope
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    hertford, welwyn garden city, potters bar, cuffley/goffs oak (bit pricey!), stevenage. all within driving distance of central london and slightly/much better than hatfield. honestly, i have to go over there for work sometimes. the town centre is a ghost town with only a big supermarket bringing in foot traffic and the galleria isn't that great. hatfield, unless you are a student, is not worth it.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 9th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    hatfield, unless you are a student, is not worth it.
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    The Marquess of Salisbury might not agree with that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield_House
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 4,315 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    Watford?

Varies in price from north Watford to south.

I live in rural Watford, but all depends on what you want I guess.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (2nd July 2017) - £183,377.40
    Equity - £216,522.60
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,076 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    He's looking at moving to Hatfield, and is worried there's an estate nearby...

Has he ever been to Hatfield?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,368 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    EachPenny
    He's looking at moving to Hatfield, and is worried there's an estate nearby..
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I guess, given the location, the 'estate' in question is the distribution depot estate with HGV traffic night and day trundling past the residential areas - a masterstroke of planning genius.

And looking forward, does the local planning authority solve the problem by constructing a direct link road from the industrial area to junction 4 of the A1(M).... no, they zone all the greenfield land adjoining the industrial area - and near to the motorway - for future housing

Of course the 'estate' in question might also mean the rather attractive one surrounding Hatfield house
    • Cirias
    • By Cirias 12th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Cirias
    I've lived in and around the area most of my life and Hatfield is generally considered a ghost town and a bit of a dump by locals. Say Hatfield and most people will picture the Galleria or Tesco - there just isn't much going for it as a town.

Stevenage used to be pretty poorly thought of, but it has actually come up over the last decade or so and it's had a lot of investment in the Leisure Park, Roaring Meg (new Debenhams going in there) and also some big biotech companies moving in. There are cycle paths practically covering the entire town and it has great transport links. Town centre is a bit of a dive, but there's really little reason to go there to be honest. Having lived near the town most of my life I will say I love it, and don't listen to those who slate it, it's not actually as bad as you would think.

Welwyn Garden City is my other local town and it's quite a polar opposite of Stevenage. However, it's actually not a town on an upwards trend, it's remained pretty level across the years. The town centre is pleasant but there's not much in the way of good shops. You'll pay a premium to live there though.

Letchworth Garden City I can vouch for. I lived there recently for around 4 years and I absolutely loved it. I'll travel back there regularly just to visit the bookshop, barbers and have a walk around. Very nice town centre, great community feel and the regular food festival is fantastic.

Hitchin is also pretty nice. It's got a really nice historic town centre. The surroundings are a bit of a mixed bag, but it's a pleasant place.
    • socrates
    • By socrates 12th Jun 17, 3:57 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    socrates
    Excellent input from everyone - thanks a million!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

913Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin