Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • original_fish
    • By original_fish 9th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    original_fish
    Utility Company and DCA can't provide information
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    Utility Company and DCA can't provide information 9th Jun 17 at 5:11 PM
    Hi,

I'm unsure whether this is the best place to post this. Apologies if this isn't.

My wife and I used to live in the UK and left in April 2016.

Before we left we contacted our Utility providers about our accounts and they informed us that we were up to date and to cancel the direct debits, which we did.

At the end of August last year, I was in contact with our previous electricity provider who had sent a bill dated the 26.08.16 advising of a £340.67 debt. I explained that we had followed their advice and asked for a detailed statement, which never arrived.

We have now received various telephone calls/letters from a company called UK Search Limited demanding payment of this debt. I again asked for a detailed statement but all they have sent is the original bill dated 22.08.16 even though I have requested further information.

Today, I sent the Prove IT letter from Moneysaving Expert and have received the following e-mail.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good Afternoon

We have requested bills and sent them to you.

If you require further detailed information then please contact Cooperative Energy direct.

We are Debt Collection and do not deal specifically with billing information.

Kind Regards,

Debbie Wilson
    Customer Support Team
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am now unsure how to proceed as I keep asking for a detailed statement from both the utility and their debt collection agent and no-one wants to help.

It's frustrating as I am willing to pay a debt if it can be shown that I owe the money.

Should I send the Prove It letter to the Co-operative Energy?

Please advise.

Your help is gratefully received.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 12,471 Posts
    • 11,864 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    Hi,

I have moved your post to the general debtfreewannbe forum, as i believe you will get more response there.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • original_fish
    • By original_fish 9th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    original_fish
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    Thanks Sourcrates.

Any help would be great.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 12,471 Posts
    • 11,864 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    Send a written complaint to the energy provider, or use resolver.

The DCA will only be acting for there client, so you can ignore them.

Deal directly with the creditor.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • -taff
    • By -taff 9th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 5,113 Thanks
    -taff
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    Where do you live now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

6,995Users online

Martin's Twitter