Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsalvador
    • By elsalvador 9th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    elsalvador
    Redundancy/Re-employment Offer: Am I Losing Out?
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    Redundancy/Re-employment Offer: Am I Losing Out? 9th Jun 17 at 5:23 PM
    Hello all,

I'm looking for advice on a redundancy/re-employment offer;

I have been offered a new role, which is essentially the same role but with a title change. Another strange thing is that it's written into my existing contract that I can be given a new role at any point, so why would I need to be made redundant and re-employed for such a minor change? Nothing has been put in writing yet, but pay, hours and contract are proposed to remain exactly the same.

What I'd like to know is whether I am in some way losing out or putting myself in a worse position by accepting the new role. It's my understanding that as I have been offered a new role, I am not entitled to the small amount of statutory redundancy pay if I accept redundancy. But I'm equally concerned that my employer is trying to 'reset' my employment in order to;

a) not pay statutory redundancy payment
    b) avoid a challenge for unfair dismissal
    c) make my new position redundant in the near future while avoiding a) and b)

I may be cynical, but I feel like my employer is trying to pull a fast one! Would really appreciate any advice on action I can take please.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by elsalvador; 13-06-2017 at 3:16 PM.
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 9,428 Posts
    • 7,403 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    Is the pay the same? Is it a job you can easily do?

If there is no break in service between jobs then I can't see "c" happening.
    • elsalvador
    • By elsalvador 9th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elsalvador
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    Hi lincroft1710,

As far as I'm aware (written offer has yet to be received) pay, hours and working arrangements are exactly the same. The job is exactly the same as I've been doing but with a different title.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 9,428 Posts
    • 7,403 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    If there is a point in why your employer is doing this, I can't see it. Changing your job title does not make you any better or worse off when it comes to redundancy. But do check that as you may now be employed by ABC, your new role isn't with ABC Ltd.

Of course if this threat of redundancy/change prompts you to find a new job elsewhere, this may be what your employer is trying to do. Be aware that this is not constructive dismissal, as they are offering acceptable alternative employment..
    • elsalvador
    • By elsalvador 9th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elsalvador
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    Good point about 'ABC Ltd'. Will be aware of that. And change of title would be fine with me, but my employer specifically stated that my current position would be made redundant and I would be re-employed in the new role.

Something just seems off, and I can only think it is related to your later point of instigating a reaction.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jun 17, 8:15 AM
    • 29,171 Posts
    • 17,453 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:15 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:15 AM
    Looks to me they are offering you an exit option with a payout.

You could just ask them why they are wrapping it up like this when they could just modify your current job.

Is the other person also part time on similar hours?

Might be they are waiting to see if you want to stay before the other person gets made redundant.

This looks like it could end up with one person doing the work of two.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin