Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 9th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 13Thanks
    atrixa
    Npower "If you pay this balance off..."
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    Npower "If you pay this balance off..." 9th Jun 17 at 5:16 PM
    Hi all, bit confused about the latest bills I'm getting from npower.

So, I have a new bill today, and they've informed me that my direct debit will go up to £87 from £56 per month. Not ideal, but here's what's confusing me:

On another page, it says that if I pay off the current outstanding balance of £24.05 within 10 working days they will reduce my payments down to £31 pounds per month.

The logic here doesn't seem to follow. Surely if I need to pay £31 extra per month, then paying £24.05 off now won't change much?!

I have an economy 10 meter, and I've been stung by them before with the system switch over back in 2013, so I'm thinking this is likely yet another balls-up?
Page 1
    • purple45
    • By purple45 9th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 119,270 Thanks
    purple45
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    I had a similar thing with co-op but figured it out. They have this way of calculating things where they only balance the books every few months. So my account shows in credit mostly as I'm making payments but then every few months they charge me for everything I've used and then I end up owing them again. When I got my letter it showed I only owed them £56 but my payments went up massively. When I checked online for more up to date figures I realised I owed about £300. If in doubt check your online account to see if it makes any more sense or phone them with meter readings and ask for an up to date bill so you can see the true situation.

Edited to add...the letters are really stupid and misleading!
    Many thanks to everyone who posts competitions and works so hard to provide all the answers!
    Best wins this year so far: £100 Hobbycraft Voucher, £50 cash, GoPro Camera
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 8,519 Posts
    • 5,046 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:29 PM

So, I have a new bill today, and they've informed me that my direct debit will go up to £87 from £56 per month. Not ideal, but here's what's confusing me:

On another page, it says that if I pay off the current outstanding balance of £24.05 within 10 working days they will reduce my payments down to £31 pounds per month.

The logic here doesn't seem to follow. Surely if I need to pay £31 extra per month, then paying £24.05 off now won't change much?!

I have an economy 10 meter, and I've been stung by them before with the system switch over back in 2013, so I'm thinking this is likely yet another balls-up?
    Originally posted by atrixa

Is the part in bold a mistake , as that is nonsense ?

Ours has gone up from £63 to £83 and the explanation is lower down the bill, so you should find your answer by looking at all your bill statement.

I am having a refund of £87,but a few days ago got an email stating the new direct debit amount and saying I was having a £200+ refund, but I knew this was incorrect, as they hadn't deducted for power used since the last bill.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 9th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    I had a similar situation with Npower a few monthsago.
    They were going to REDUCE my monthly payment FROM £46 to £85.......
    Totally ridiculous...........
    Computers gone bl**dy mad............
    HTH
  • nPower
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by atrixa

Hi Atrixa,

Thanks for your message. Please contact us using the details on our profile page so we can help with your payment enquiry.

Thanks

Jen
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    This MSE article may assist you
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits

Have you tried contacting the supplier?

In the past, I think it was EDF who wrote to me every quarter with some very odd monthly DD changes, but a quick phone call to them on each occassion had them soon agreeing to remain as we were
    Last edited by footyguy; 12-06-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

9,663Users online

Martin's Twitter