Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,838Posts
    • 653Thanks
    Stoke
    Spares or Repair 'Etiquette'
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    Spares or Repair 'Etiquette' 9th Jun 17 at 4:59 PM
    Hello,

So I've sold a few things in the past as 'spares or repairs' on eBay. The whole term spares or repairs, suggests such item is in a state that it can be repaired, or be used as spares if one desires. Usually to me, a spares or repair item is an item that someone has broken but made no attempt to fix.

So I bought something spares or repair. However, the item that arrived has clearly already had someone have a go at repairing it. They've tried..... failed (probably due to lack of knowledge or skills) and because of that, it's going to take a lot more effort to repair it now, if it can be done. There does appear to be some lasting damage for sure.

So are people expected to be honest about spares and repairs? Or is it just a method of getting rid of items they've had a go at hacking up?
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 10,899 Posts
    • 7,305 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    If I was buying from spares or repairs I would ask a lot of questions of it wasn't obvious in the listing. Selling spares or repairs is difficult as one person's "minor fault" is another's "massive failure".

People should be honest and I don't view "having had a go at repairing" something as dishonest, perhaps they should have said so in the listing, but you can't expect someone to be able to repair a listing in that category necessarily.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    If I was buying from spares or repairs I would ask a lot of questions of it wasn't obvious in the listing. Selling spares or repairs is difficult as one person's "minor fault" is another's "massive failure".

People should be honest and I don't view "having had a go at repairing" something as dishonest, perhaps they should have said so in the listing, but you can't expect someone to be able to repair a listing in that category necessarily.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    That's the point, there's clearly been no mention of this.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 10,899 Posts
    • 7,305 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    That's the point, there's clearly been no mention of this.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    If there is no mention of it, perhaps it may have been prudent to ask, particularly if you were trying to repair the item rather than use the bits to make your own work?

Unfortunately with eBay sellers (particularly private ones) you need to ask any question that's relevant to you if it isn't in the listing.

Are you wanting to return it? You could ask the seller if you can, or perhaps ask them for a part refund. But for spares/repairs I would say it's caveat emptor.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 9th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 8,642 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with that.

To me "spares and repairs" means "broken".
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 59,097 Posts
    • 41,881 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with that.

Originally posted by 19lottie82
    Same here, also to me 'untested' means broken as well.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 9th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    If in doubt, ask before you bid (hindsight is a wonderful thing...).
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 10th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 837 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    Originally posted by 19lottie82
    I'm much more cynical.

To me, "spares and repairs" (or "untested") means not only "broken" but also "I've either tried to fix it myself, or brought it to a repair person, and it's beyond economic repair".
    Philip
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Jun 17, 12:25 AM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:25 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 12:25 AM
    Yep, even more cynical. Spares or repairs or untested = i was going to throw this into the bin but thought someone on ebay may give me money for it.

Spares or repairs is far to open for interpretation.

Im sure someone somewhere could fix it. Would it be cost effective to repair? Maybe not. But almost everythings fixable.

Even if i were not so cynical, i would not assume a spares or repairs item may not have had a repair attempted at some point. Like yourself the seller may have bought it spares and repairs and it was beyong their scope for repair so sold it on.

You bought it thinking the same. And it sounds like its above your scope also. But someone will buy it and think thats easy or swap parts from several faulty ones to make one good one.

Ive had a circuit board that failed and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Its sat in a box for almost a year and then whilst working on something else it clicked what it maybe, and sure enough it was and easily fixed once you know what to look for.

I presume the item has some working parts you could use to make a good item from several faulty ones?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Regarding going for a refund? No. I don't see the point really. I have the item now and there's too much effort involved returning it. I might as well proceed with fixing it (I already have done).

Personally, if I was to list something spares/repair, I might be tempted to say "I had an attempt at fixing this but was unable to". There are experts out there who will know better than me at the item I am selling, just as I am probably more skilled at fixing/repairing the item I have purchased. There's no shame in admitting it, so perhaps it's more about convincing people they're getting a 'non-touched' spares item.

Anyway, good to see healthy debate is alive and well
    • jase1
    • By jase1 19th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    jase1
    Funnily enough, the majority of "faulty" or "untested" items I've bought from eBay over the years have actually worked just fine...

The description usually seems to refer to stuff that's a bit tatty where the seller can't guarantee it'll work 100% so just sells it as-is.

Only a small minority have been fundamentally b0rked, and even then I've only had a single case of something that's been fiddled with.

Most recent 'score' was a "dead", fairly high-end record deck from the 1980s. It came with an expensive cartridge, had clearly been stored in a garage for years but works just fine, just needed a good clean. £200 worth for £8.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 19th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 8,429 Posts
    • 4,903 Thanks
    RFW
    As an auctioneer I used to handle a lot of seconds/returns. For electrical items it's a good idea to go for ones with cosmetic faults, a return with a scratch on the outside is more likely to be working than one with no visible faults.
    As far as the OP goes, for "spares and repair" I would expect all the constituent parts to be there but not working, unless it's mentioned in the description.
    If you know what you're doing, buying, repairing and reselling such items can be a good business. That said, a lot of returns that end up on Ebay have often been handled several times, often by people who couldn't repair them.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Regarding going for a refund? No. I don't see the point really. I have the item now and there's too much effort involved returning it. I might as well proceed with fixing it (I already have done).

Personally, if I was to list something spares/repair, I might be tempted to say "I had an attempt at fixing this but was unable to". There are experts out there who will know better than me at the item I am selling, just as I am probably more skilled at fixing/repairing the item I have purchased. There's no shame in admitting it, so perhaps it's more about convincing people they're getting a 'non-touched' spares item.

Anyway, good to see healthy debate is alive and well
    Originally posted by Stoke
    But the person buying it from you maybe less skilled than you and think you knew it couldn't be fixed.

I know someone that brings me stuff when they cannot fix it. They run their own business in this profession.

Sometimes you try fixing something and it just doesnt work, then suddenly you have a brainwave one day and the fix pops into your head. Happened to me recently. Had a circuitboard in a box for about a year and then it suddenly hit me. Did i check....

Couple of £ for a few parts and its fixed.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 7th Aug 17, 8:16 AM
    • 31,633 Posts
    • 37,321 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I always read spares or repair as "spares only" and repair as a bonus. I work out my Max bids on the value 60% of resale value of individual spare parts as it allows for broken parts of no resale value
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 7th Aug 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I think this probably depends on the category. Woodwind instruments is where I occasionally look/buy, and you know if it's a sensible make/model you'll be able to fix or use most of it as spares unless it's been run over by a lorry or something equally daft. Something like that will be obvious on the photos! It's usually harder figuring out what precisely it is (what pitch in particular).
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin