Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mwddrwg
    • By mwddrwg 9th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 478Posts
    • 252Thanks
    mwddrwg
    Getting a replacement for a faulty cooker - am I within my rights?
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    Getting a replacement for a faulty cooker - am I within my rights? 9th Jun 17 at 4:41 PM
    Hi, I hope you good people can answer this question for me.

We had a range cooker installed on Wednesday. All is well except for the clock which beeps all the time if you set the time on it. It seems to be a faulty clock. The oven itself is fine.

We booked an engineer from Beko and he visited today. He said we should just ask Currys for another oven but also said that he was ordering a part for it anyway. I want to swap this oven for another one as I'm not happy with getting it repaired with the possibility of it failing again. The engineer is due to report back to Beko this weekend. Currys have asked me to contact Beko when the report is in to get an 'uplift number' which authorises the replacement.

I have a feeling I'm in for a battle as it may be possible to repair the clock economically however I would prefer a full replacement. Am I within my rights to ask Currys for a replacement, even though it might be possible to repair it?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    In deep...
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 9th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 6,837 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    bris
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    Problem is you already gave them permission to repair it by booking the engineer, they don't need to exchange it now.

On the + side the likelihood of it happening again is slim, you don't hear of many faulty clocks, in fact I have never heard of any.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 9th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 5,465 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    The engineer may just have been to confirm the fault, how often do we get people on here complaining that they have a new faulty appliance and the retailer and or manufacturer want an engineer to visit to confirm the fault? It is a regular occurance and general consensus is to let them attend for diagnostics.

Although I do agree that if I found an oven/cooker I liked and the fault was something as minor as the clock I would let them fix it and give it a chance, otherwise you could end up with worse faults on another one or choosing something completely different which obviously isn't what you want or you would have bought the different one originally.

I had to contact Beko a couple of years ago when I bought a relative a new built in oven and it arrived damaged, a quick call of less than ten minutes and they gave an uplift number without even asking for me to send photos or have an engineer out, I was quite prepared to do either but they were really good about it. Give them a call and they may just give you the number and it will all be sorted with no hassle.
    Last edited by Fosterdog; 09-06-2017 at 9:41 PM.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 9th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    You were within your rights to reject the oven as it was faulty (no matter how minor). However by agreeing to or inviting an engineer to your home for repair, I think you've waived that right. But as Fosterdog has said, a faulty clock is minor and should be an easy fix. Ovens are very simple appliances with very little to go wrong so I really wouldn't worry too much. Personally I would go ahead and allow the oven to be repaired, and hopefully it should be good for many years to come.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 9,449 Posts
    • 10,618 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    You were within your rights to reject the oven as it was faulty (no matter how minor). However by agreeing to or inviting an engineer to your home for repair, I think you've waived that right
    Originally posted by SouthUKMan
    When rejecting goods under the short term right to reject, the onus is on the consumer to prove that a fault actually exists and what better way is there to do this than getting the manufacturer to confirm it?
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 9th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Leo2020
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    Just ask Beko for the uplift number. Its just standard procedure from Currys.

White goods are normally tested by the manufacturer not Currys themselves. Once the fault is confirmed Beko should just issue the uplift number.
    • mwddrwg
    • By mwddrwg 9th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    mwddrwg
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    When rejecting goods under the short term right to reject, the onus is on the consumer to prove that a fault actually exists and what better way is there to do this than getting the manufacturer to confirm it?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    That's what we did. We booked the repair directly with the manufacturer and then phoned Currys to report it. Have half a mind to return it anyway as they missed the fact it was LPG on the original installation date (leading to not being able to do the install and having to come back) and no LPG conversion kit with the oven on the second visit. Total shambles from the start! Thanks for everyone's comments
    In deep...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,972Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin