Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 9th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 5,589Posts
    • 2,581Thanks
    LeeUK
    MOT Pass - Parking Brake Fail
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    MOT Pass - Parking Brake Fail 9th Jun 17 at 4:40 PM
    Just had my 207 in for MOT and it has passed which I'm pleased about.

Only thing I've noticed is on the brake test print out is that brake efficiency is PASS but parking brake says FAIL - Does they mean the brake test failed?

Either way I've got an MOT pass certificate.
Page 1
    • RickRastardly
    • By RickRastardly 9th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    RickRastardly
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    Next to the efficiency rating on the print out does it have (L) or 'Locked' next to it. From the top of my head, if a vehicles brakeing system is able to lock its wheel station during a Roller Break Tester (RBT) but not gain enough efficiency to pass, its still passed as it locked the wheel. This is only usually more of an issue on HGV's as insufficient load will cause a wheel to lock prematurely, but on a normal car you cant load it.

Have you noticed if your parking break is poor? Such as an inability to hold itself on a hill, another test would be to put it in 1st gear with the handbrake on and drip he clutch, if the car stalls or nearly stalls by the time it starts to move, chances are you're parking break is fine.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    • 15,429 Posts
    • 13,759 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    It means that the footbrake passed - this isn't hard, because the required efficiency is ridiculously low - but the handbrake failed.

If that's the case, you shouldn't have a pass, with the "lock" caveat.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    It's got lock for the efficiency on the print out.

Parking brake works when it is on e.g stops car rolling. I always park in gear anyway (always have done in all previous cars) so won't be a problem of it rolling away.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    So it actually works exceedingly well, its just the grip of your tyres wasn't sufficient to stop the rollers on the brake tester from turning, usually because there's not much weight on the rear of the vehicle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

5,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin