Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TAWBristol
    • By TAWBristol 9th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 5Thanks
    TAWBristol
    First months mortgage payment - direct debit
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    First months mortgage payment - direct debit 9th Jun 17 at 4:04 PM
    Hi All

Due to complete on 20th June. On the Natwest mortgage direct debit form it asks for preferred day of the month and says if left blank payment will be taken a month after completion.

Does this mean you'd pay an extra months interest, or pay twice the first time? I'm not sure how it works, and if you are paying a month behind?
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 10th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    • 9,460 Posts
    • 5,124 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    Most people get paid monthly at the end of the month.
    You could ask to pay your first mortgage payment at the beginning of the month
    The first payment can be larger as you are paying a month and X extra days
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 11th Jun 17, 12:28 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:28 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:28 AM
    NatWest loans as standard take the first payment 14 ( business ? ) days later ; if you specify the date as being less than 14 days, it is taken a month later. It would be a bit daft if when you borrowed £1000 with monthly payments of £100, the first one was taken on the day after you got the money.

I'm guessing the D-Ds are for a fixed amount, so it just works out at the end ; it would be a bit odd if the first month was much higher or lower. Best to ask in the bank, on Monday morning ; rest your brain for the weekend. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

394Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin