Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • duckley
    • By duckley 9th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    duckley
    Advice - benefits when moving
    • 9th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    Advice - benefits when moving 9th Jun 17 at 3:19 PM
    Hi all,

Appreciate this may be a bit of a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but my friend (who isn't great with money) is moving from Bristol up north.

They're currently on JSA and are going to be on JSA when they move, they've found a place to live and have paid the deposit and first month's rent but I didn't know if there was a waiting period or anything before being able to claim benefits when moving to a new area?

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    Hi all,

Appreciate this may be a bit of a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but my friend (who isn't great with money) is moving from Bristol up north.

They're currently on JSA and are going to be on JSA when they move, they've found a place to live and have paid the deposit and first month's rent but I didn't know if there was a waiting period or anything before being able to claim benefits when moving to a new area?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by duckley
    They would just need to ring DWP and change address once they've moved. They will then sign on up North as normal.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 9th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 3,789 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    As poppy says, they need to inform DWP once they've moved. DWP will not accept advance notification of a move.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 9th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 1,423 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    If claiming Housing Benefit for the new property, they need to contact the new LA HB dept asap.
    • charmed1318
    • By charmed1318 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 26,907 Thanks
    charmed1318
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    I would just add, make sure they keep all paperwork and receipts (for deposit etc), bank statements if necessary, kind of like they are applying for it all again, well, they are lol
    I just moved to the next county as my previous residence and, as always the JC weren't great at communicating 2/3 times when I had an interview to change JC's my details hadn't been transferred. And, I completed the online COA on the UJM journal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter