Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 9th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    • 294Posts
    • 168Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Best way to get illegal car shifted?
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    Best way to get illegal car shifted? 9th Jun 17 at 2:35 PM
    So there is a car parked awkwardly in my road (taking up two car's worth of spaces) which has no tax, MoT, or insurance. It's been there two weeks and is unlocked although being an automatic in (P)ark, it can't be moved easily. Tried jacks under wheels but still can't shift it; too much weight/friction on the jacks.
    Have reported it to DVLA and Council but nothing happens. I don't suppose the police are interested either. Any suggestions for expediting it's removal?
Page 2
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4,594 Posts
    • 4,001 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Distance isn't an issue for TWOC.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Fair enough. Even more of a reason to ignore the 'just shift it with a 4x4' or 'roll it into a hedge' advice that normally populates these threads, then.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 10th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 5,283 Posts
    • 4,817 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Even if you nicked the car, hooned round the neighbourhood and then set it on fire I doubt the police would be interested.

IMO it would be fairly low risk to just get in the car and sort the gear selector mechanism and give it a push.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    If you think the law is applied fairly and evenly across these lands, then you're sadly mistaken.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    But it's down to incompetence rather than race.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    waamo
    Get a V5 on it. Once that arrives get a log book loan. The car will be gone and you get some cash for it.
    This space for hire.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    But it's down to incompetence rather than race.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

It's down to politics and fear for one's job.

The Police generally do a great job, but unfortunately they have to be careful if they want to stay off the dole queue.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Summary: No there is no other authority to report it too.

Local MP?
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 13,121 Posts
    • 8,319 Thanks
    arcon5
    Call one of those trailer boys who buy scrap cars for cash and tell them you've lost keys and logbook. Somebody will take it away and see it scrapped.
    Take number plates off and radio out if you wish
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    It's down to politics and fear for one's job.

The Police generally do a great job, but unfortunately they have to be careful if they want to stay off the dole queue.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    You don't half talk some crap.
    • ossie
    • By ossie 11th Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    ossie
    https://www.fixmystreet.com/
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 15th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Update
    Today an inspector from the council came round asking if anyone knew who owned the car. Of course we don't know. She said it would take two months for the car to be moved based on having no tax. If they could confirm it was abandoned it might be gone sooner but even then the last registered keeper has two weeks to reply to them plus there are other hoops to jump through down that route before it can be removed.

However either by pure coincidence or because the council had in fact contacted the owner (sorry I don't know which), a flat bed truck turned up this afternoon and the driver claimed he was instructed by the owner to scrap the car. So now its gone!
    • Blackjack Davy
    • By Blackjack Davy 16th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Blackjack Davy
    I was going to say report it to the council. They'll write to the guy saying either move it tax it or it'll be towed. I've reported a couple myself one got towed away.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
    • kaya
    • By kaya 16th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    kaya
    dvla seem very quick to clamp anything round here that is untaxed, have you tried reporting it to them?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,198 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    dvla seem very quick to clamp anything round here that is untaxed, have you tried reporting it to them?
    Originally posted by kaya
    Errrr, it's gone - see post #30
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

2,343Users online

Martin's Twitter