Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 9th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 294Posts
    • 64Thanks
    kmb500
    How far can you drive on tyre sealant?
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    How far can you drive on tyre sealant? 9th Jun 17 at 1:32 PM
    I got a puncture a couple nights ago and the AA came and sealed it. The guy said that because the puncture wasn't a round nail but a thin key, he couldn't seal it properly and it is leaking air. He said it was good for the evening but the next morning may well be flat. he said usually they say a sealed tyre can be driven for 100 miles but with mine it is less and needs to be changed ASAP. however its now 2 days later and the tyre is still hard.

I had national tyres come out to fit a new tyre today but lo and behold... my brand new car didn't come with a !!!!ing locking wheel nut key. So they can't get the wheel off to replace the tyre. My lease company told me they can book me in to a garage to make a new locking wheel nut key but this is next week..

anyway I was meant to drive a 140 mile round trip this weekend. and I have no idea what to do.. Obviously I shouldn't go. if it goes flat I am stuffed. But part of me says well worst comes worse, the tyre goes flat again and I get towed all the way home.

what do you think ?
Page 1
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 9th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    Take a can of tyre sealant with you and a footpump. If you get a puncture on any wheel it sounds like you are in trouble for now.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 8,429 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    Sod the foot pump. Get an electric tyre pump and take it with you.

Check the tyre every 20 miles or so and if pressure is dropping re-inflate it immediately.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 4,496 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    So they can't get the wheel off to replace the tyre. My lease company told me they can book me in to a garage to make a new locking wheel nut key but this is next week..
    Originally posted by kmb500
    There used to only be about 15 or so "keys", so if they can get in touch with their supplier, you may be able to match/borrow one from another car that works.

Edit: If there's a main dealer nearby for your brand, I'd take it in there and see if they can get you a replacement key or just swap them for keyless bolts.
    Last edited by Herzlos; 09-06-2017 at 2:52 PM.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 9th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    kmb500
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    Sod the foot pump. Get an electric tyre pump and take it with you.

Check the tyre every 20 miles or so and if pressure is dropping re-inflate it immediately.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    yeah I have an electric tyre pump, the car came with that.

I got the pressure gauge out and it's at 55 psi ! so safe to say in these 2 days it is not losing pressure. but I've only done 30 miles or so driving very gently. Going to do some motorwaying tonight.

You're right, I'll check it frequently and pump it up if needed. cheers for the advice.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    Be aware the AA may well refuse to come out free of charge to tow you if that tyre goes flat, as it'll fall under their 'pre-existing fault' conditions. They will obviously have a record of their previous attendance...
    • Wig
    • By Wig 9th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 13,522 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    Wig
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    Look in the boot of your car, there should be a electric tyre pump and a can of sealant.

I suspect -if it goes down- you will only need the tyre pump. However, before you set off check the tyre pressure at a supermarket forecourt, should be about 32psi or 2.2bar, If it goes down it is likely a slow leak that can be topped up with tyre pressure.

You should check the tyre pressure ASAP, because it might not look flat but it might already have gone down to 24psi.

I would check it a few times on your journey every 50 miles or so, if it goes down you "should" be able to feel it through the steering.
    My latest discovery, LSAT test questions online, logical questions, fun to do. Find example and past tests online, start at the LSAC.org website.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 9th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    kmb500
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    Be aware the AA may well refuse to come out free of charge to tow you if that tyre goes flat, as it'll fall under their 'pre-existing fault' conditions. They will obviously have a record of their previous attendance...
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Yes that did occur to me. I've signed a document from them acknowledging that I need to change the tyre ASAP and not drive it any more.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll

Surely you've made that up? Get a puncture in a tyre you cant call them again for a puncture?
    • Wig
    • By Wig 9th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 13,522 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    Wig
    BTW I also use these things with great results. But they are not for a novice, they need to be fitted by someone with good DIY skills.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322017758607

They are not recommended as permanent repairs, but my idea of "non permament" is "it is OK for as long as it doesn't go down". I have never had them go down, they last until the tyre tread wear forces a new tyre to be purchased.
    Last edited by Wig; 09-06-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    My latest discovery, LSAT test questions online, logical questions, fun to do. Find example and past tests online, start at the LSAC.org website.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 9th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 3,041 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    Surely you've made that up? Get a puncture in a tyre you cant call them again for a puncture?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Not made up, from the AA terms and conditions,

The AA reserves the right to refuse to provide or arrange assistance
    where the service request is
    for, or relates to
    :
    a.
    Repeat breakdowns within 28 days
    where service is requested to deal with the same or similar cause of breakdown to that
    which the AA attended within the preceding 28 days. It is Your responsibility to make sure that emergency repairs carried out by the AA are, where appropriate, followed as soon as possible by a permanent repair.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 4,496 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Get a puncture and a temporary fix, and they won't cover you for another failure in that tyre with temporary fix (either a leak or another puncture). Get the tyre repaired properly and you're covered.

So you can't just get them to keep bodging you on; they get you moving again and then expect you to get the car fixed.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 9th Jun 17, 3:25 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    kmb500
    fair enough. Anyway I'll go away for the weekend, I've got a pump in the car, and hopefully that's enough.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    fair enough. Anyway I'll go away for the weekend, I've got a pump in the car, and hopefully that's enough.
    Good luck. I hope you don't affect anyone else if you have a blowout.
    • pem
    • By pem 9th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    pem
    normally the number of the locking key is written down in the service book or other user manuals you received with the car

can you not go to a main dealer of the car make you have and ask them to undo it and see if they could possibly give you a non locking wheel nut for use short term
    • Wig
    • By Wig 9th Jun 17, 4:33 PM
    • 13,522 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    Wig
    Or replace all locking wheelnuts with non lockers permanently as they are such a pain to deal with and are more trouble than they are worth.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Why on earth would I make it up? I resent that suggestion.

It's in the T&Cs.

If you get a puncture, call the AA to bodge it, drive on the tyre for 100s of miles and the bodge fails, the AA won't come and tow you 100s of miles home for free, as you failed to fix a known issue and took the risk of driving in that knowledge.

I didn't say if the OP got a *different* puncture they'd not be able to call the AA. I mentioned pre-existing faults because the OP said:

But part of me says well worst comes worse, the tyre goes flat again and I get towed all the way home

Note use of "the tyre" - as in the subject of the post and "again" - as in 'a repeat failure'.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 9th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    t the pressure gauge out and it's at 55 psi ! so safe to say in these 2 days it is not losing pressure. but I've only done 30 miles or so driving very gently. Going to do some motorwaying tonight.
    55 psi !!!!! Really??????

That is pretty high for a private car or SUV

Even my M-Benz Sprinter doesn't have pressures as high as that.

What vehicle are we taking about here.

That high a pressure may well induce a failure at motorway speeds.

Also did you check with a dealership where the locking wheel-nut key is normally located?

It may not be where you expected it to be.
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 9th Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    ukmike
    55 psi !!!!! Really??????
    Normal pressure for a space saver wheel.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 9th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 13,522 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    Wig
    55psi is high, but not so high you can expect a failure. I sometimes drive with 50psi, no ill effects, it reduces rolling resistance.

There are some "eco" models which have 50psi as standard.

I suspect the AA guy over flated it as a precaution against the slow leak... a slow leak, I might add, which is sounding to me as though it has now sealed ok.

What you want to do is put some washing up liquid over where the hole is and see if there are any bubbles. However as it is a foam seal, maybe washing up liquid would be the wrong thing to use (might eat away the foam), so just spit on the tyre instead (i.e. spittle from your mouth).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,428Posts Today

9,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin