Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,253Posts
    • 514Thanks
    agarnett
    Three Mobile now planning to surcharge habitual roamers in EU - surely unlawful ?
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    Three Mobile now planning to surcharge habitual roamers in EU - surely unlawful ? 9th Jun 17 at 1:15 PM
    Just received notification that Three Mobile will be spying on us and keeping tabs on our location over a rolling 120 day period and should we be roaming more than we are at home then they have said they will surcharge.

Surely that isn't lawful in the EU at least?

We are in the EU. The intent of EU law enacted from 15 June 2017 (finally!) is to make a leve playing field of the whole of EU irrespective of where in the EU we buy our mobile phone contract.

EU is tiny compared with USA or Russia or China. Does someone buying a contract in California get surcharged when they spend 3 months in New York?
Page 2
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    d123
    Er, yes. Who said anything different?

Er, yes. Who said otherwise?

Who said otherwise?
    Originally posted by Roger1
    You.

You don't seem to understand the difference between home use and roaming.

For example:

If my rate UK>UK is x pence, so should UK>Spain and Spain>UK also be x pence from 15 June. At least that's my understanding

Spain is a Feel At Home territory so UK rates should apply UK>Spain and Spain>UK from 15 June.
    Which people keep trying to explain to you is not the case, and your understanding is incorrect.

UK > Anywhere is nothing to do with the EU Directive or FaH.
    Dave
    ====
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 13th Jun 17, 12:11 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    agarnett
    Frozen_up_north and d123 appear to be a double -act perhaps joined at the hip.

There simply is no difference between home use and roaming in the EU, except what the airtime providers operating as a cartel keep trying and developing and getting away with.

Look how many years we've been waiting for the leveling of the EU mobile telephony charging playing field. I forgotten how many times we've heard "next year".
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jun 17, 12:36 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    May I respectfully suggest you read:
    https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/roaming
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 13th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    You.

You don't seem to understand the difference between home use and roaming.
    Originally posted by d123
    Nonsense.

Let's see what happens to our rates on Thursday. Three have already explained what will happen, as I have mentioned more than once. In case you missed it, here it is again:
    https://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/euregulation/payg
    with links to rates.

I for one am satisfied that my UK rates will apply in these territories:
    Aland Islands, Austria, Azores, Baleric Islands, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Reunion, Romania, San Marino, Saint Barth!lemy, Saint Martin, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City.
    by Three
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    d123
    Nonsense.

Let's see what happens to our rates on Thursday. Three have already explained what will happen, as I have mentioned more than once. In case you missed it, here it is again:
    with links to rates.

You still don't get it, your UK rate will apply IN those territories, no one has said otherwise BUT your standard UK rate will not apply to calls made TO those territories from the UK.

EU -> to any EU including UK is standard rate
    UK -> UK is standard rate

UK -> to any other country including EU is international rate.
    Dave
    ====
    • d123
    • By d123 15th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    d123

If my rate UK>UK is x pence, so should UK>Spain and Spain>UK also be x pence from 15 June. At least that's my understanding from press reports and Three's dedicated webpages:
    - https://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/euregulation/payg - PAYG
    - http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/Advanced_Plan_price_guide_010617.pdf - esp pp 17-21, contract.

Spain is a Feel At Home territory so UK rates should apply UK>Spain and Spain>UK from 15 June, subject to any limiting volumes.

Nonsense.

with links to rates.

Frozen_up_north and d123 appear to be a double -act perhaps joined at the hip.

There simply is no difference between home use and roaming in the EU
    Originally posted by agarnett
    Well, guess what?

Calling Spain, Poland etc from your UK mobile? Weirdly it's cheaper outside the UK

New EU rules will abolish roaming charges for many, slashing the cost of using your phone in Europe. But a bizarre quirk remains - it's cheaper to call other EU countries on your UK mobile once you're abroad, rather than do it from the UK.

There's been some confusion over what calls from EU countries will cost under the new rules, with some MoneySavers claiming they've been given wrong info by their networks. But we've had the anomaly confirmed by both the European Commission and eight major UK mobile firms.

However calls to EU countries from your UK mobile, while you're in the UK, aren't considered roaming and will be charged by your network as an international phone call.

So, for example, if you're in Spain and make a call to a local Spanish number on your UK mobile, it will cheaper than calling the same number from the UK.
    What's more, when in Spain it'll be cheaper to call anywhere else in the EU than if you made those same calls while in the UK.

It's even cheaper to call the UK from Spain than calling Spain from the UK. And of course, what works in Spain works in all other EU countries (except the UK, assuming you're using a UK mobile).
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/06/calling-poland-on-your-mobile-cheaper-if-youre-in-spain-than-in-the-uk-under-new-eu-rules

Dave
    ====
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 16th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    agarnett
    OK we're guessing. What? Oh you just think it is funny to do the mobile phone companies dirty work, I see, and then see the dirty work hit the customers just as you and your skewed view on right and wrong predicted it would?

Tell us, how does what you tell us save us money?

There simply is no difference between home use and roaming in the EU. There is simply a continuing rip off culture amongst the mobile phone companies where we can now see (because it is past Thursday) that they continue to shamelessly exploit a loophole that looks bloody stupid to all right-thinking moneysavers.

We didn't think they would dare, but they did, and d123 has jumped on it and thinks it's hilarious
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 16th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    gycraig
    OK we're guessing. What? Oh you just think it is funny to do the mobile phone companies dirty work, I see, and then see the dirty work hit the customers just as you and your skewed view on right and wrong predicted it would?

There simply is no difference between home use and roaming in the EU. There is simply a continuing rip off culture amongst the mobile phone companies where we can now see (because it is past Thursday) that they continue to shamelessly exploit a loophole that looks bloody stupid to all right-thinking moneysavers.

We didn't think they would dare, but they did, and d123 has jumped on it and thinks it's hilarious
    Issue is new legislation is being put in for when you are roaming meaning they have to let you use your tariff abroad. So the networks obviously have to follow this legislation, until a regulator says networks have to include calls to abroad from the uk why would the networks rush to do this.

You choose to be with whichever network you choose no one forces you with a baseball bat, if you need to call abroad from the uk then go to a network that accommodates this
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 16th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    gycraig
    Regarding using data abroad and being restricted they are selling uk plans for uk users which covers roaming abroad, if you choose to take the contract and live abroad they obviously aren't going to allow this.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    d123

No, I think you and Roger's arrogant ignorance in thinking you knew what was happening (but didn't really have a clue) is funny now it's been shown.

There's no dirty work involved, I really don't know how you still can't the fact these EU Regulations are ROAMING Regs and you still still think you're hard done by because they don't include international calls made in your home country while not roaming.

REGULATION (EU) .../...
    of 15.12.2016
    laying down detailed rules on the application of fair use policy and on the methodology for assessing the sustainability of the abolition of retail roaming surcharges and on the application to be submitted by a roaming provider for the purposes of that assessment
    At least now you (and Roger1) can't continue arguing as if you know what you are talking about..

The funny is just you and Roger being shown up
    Last edited by d123; 16-06-2017 at 7:30 PM.
    Dave
    ====
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 17th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    agarnett
    You haven't a clue what I thought before Thursday, d123, other than what I thought was morally right.

The difference between you and I is that before Thursday I wasn't about to lend credence to the rip-off before it actually started.

You chose to do exactly that, i.e. to do the mobile phone companies' dirty propaganda work for them. I do hope they pay you handsomely for blotting social media forums with such corrosive ideas.

And you are still laughing about consumers being ripped off.

Regarding using data abroad and being restricted they are selling uk plans for uk users which covers roaming abroad, if you choose to take the contract and live abroad they obviously aren't going to allow this.
    by gycraig
    Three aren't even going to allow more than 1½ months abroad without surcharging enormously and retrospectively it seems - their terms are as clear as mud.

Why exactly do you use the word "obviously"? Whilst the rest of us in 2017 aspire to travel and understand this tiny planet we are all on, are you still intent on remaining a little Englander for the duration?
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    d123
    You haven't a clue what I thought before Thursday, d123, other than what I thought was morally right.

The difference between you and I is that before Thursday I wasn't about to lend credence to the rip-off before it actually started.

You chose to do exactly that, i.e. to do the mobile phone companies' dirty propaganda work for them. I do hope they pay you handsomely for blotting social media forums with such corrosive ideas.

And you are still laughing about consumers being ripped off.
    No, I just had the ability to read the roaming regulations before the date and sadly attempted to explain them to the more intellectually challenged people who were confused and thought it was possible to be roaming on their home network.

I can't believe you still think the cost of making international calls whilst on your home network was ever going to be regulated under EU roaming regulations.

I'm also quite amazed that you're still banging on that you've been ripped off because home use is not the same as roaming...
    Dave
    ====
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 17th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    There simply is no difference between home use and roaming in the EU, except what the airtime providers operating as a cartel keep trying and developing and getting away with.
    You are totally wrong. If you bothered to read the actual regulations from the EU, you might understand the situation. This is from their FAQs:
    "Calling from home is not roaming. The new rights cover communications (calls, SMS, data) made when roaming in the EU, which means when travelling abroad in the EU. The prices of calls from home to a foreign country, including in the EU, are not regulated."
    The FAQs are at: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/frequently-asked-questions-roam-home

It's not D123's interpretation or mine.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 19th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    I've been away, roaming and was pleasantly surprised that almost immediately on crossing EU frontiers, I received text messages giving comprehensive information on costs of calls, data, etc.

On my return, I see numerous ramblings in this thread containing my username and that of Roger (who is somebody else), like this:
    No, I think you and Roger's arrogant ignorance in thinking you knew what was happening (but didn't really have a clue) is funny now it's been shown ...

At least now you (and Roger1) can't continue arguing as if you know what you are talking about..

(My bolding.)

'Arrogant ignorance'? Oo, er. I do seem unwittingly to have had an effect on Dave.

Dave knows he's wrong about me, I know he's wrong, everybody else is probably bored stiff.

Anybody less generous than me could think that his ramblings amount to trolling and/or a personal attack. MSE helpfully offers advice on posting. Take a look, Dave.

In the meantime, why not sit back, have a cup of tea or something stronger and relax.

If you're really upset, Dave, think about using the Ignore button. That's not something I for one would normally consider, but it does look rather attractive at the moment.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 19th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    agarnett
    I am not intellectually challenged. Unlike some people on this thread, I don't have to trawl through regulations to state what I think. I have the intellect to decide what is a rip-off despite what those regulations might say, a despite the bits where mobile phone companies have ridden roughshod!

Roaming is the same as any other use, its just that the mobile phone industry acts as a cartel to draw lines, and even collude with governments, same as Churchill and others drew their own lines.

If you really want to bang the mobile phone companies' drums for them, I seriously hope you are getting paid well for it, because if not, your thinking is perhaps exactly that which creates such fertile ground for every new everyday rip-off we have to endure so frequently in UK.
    • d123
    • By d123 19th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    d123

'Arrogant ignorance'? Oo, er. I do seem unwittingly to have had an effect on Dave.
    Yes, read your posts, quite ignorant in what has happening (as has now been proved) and quite arrogant in the manner you set out your ignorant viewpoint as if it was the true facts.

Maybe I should have started my posts with Nonsense as well?

Nonsense.

with links to rates.

I'm not sure what your point is.

If my rate UK>UK is x pence, so should UK>Spain and Spain>UK also be x pence from 15 June. At least that's my understanding from press reports and Three's dedicated webpages

Spain is a Feel At Home territory so UK rates should apply UK>Spain and Spain>UK from 15 June, subject to any limiting volumes.
    Dave knows he's wrong about me, I know he's wrong, everybody else is probably bored stiff.

Anybody less generous than me could think that his ramblings amount to trolling and/or a personal attack. MSE helpfully offers advice on posting. Take a look, Dave.
    No, the whole world knows you were wrong, even MSE has published an article showing you were wrong.

Personal attack? Me saying you were showing arrogant ignorance is not a personal attack. Read how arrogant you were in your posting manner, and as it shows now, you were completely ignorant of the actual roaming regulations that were coming into force.

If you're really upset, Dave, think about using the Ignore button. That's not something I for one would normally consider, but it does look rather attractive at the moment.
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

You've given me a little amusement with how strident and sure of your 'facts' you were, only to crash so ignobly when the real facts came out.

I don't use the ignore button, especially not when it's simply to debate with people who can generate humour from their ernest and misplaced sense of superior knowledge (that didn't really exist). It gave me a smile rather than upset.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 20-06-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    Dave
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,599Users online

Martin's Twitter