Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,253Posts
    • 514Thanks
    agarnett
    Three Mobile now planning to surcharge habitual roamers in EU - surely unlawful ?
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    Three Mobile now planning to surcharge habitual roamers in EU - surely unlawful ? 9th Jun 17 at 1:15 PM
    Just received notification that Three Mobile will be spying on us and keeping tabs on our location over a rolling 120 day period and should we be roaming more than we are at home then they have said they will surcharge.

Surely that isn't lawful in the EU at least?

We are in the EU. The intent of EU law enacted from 15 June 2017 (finally!) is to make a leve playing field of the whole of EU irrespective of where in the EU we buy our mobile phone contract.

EU is tiny compared with USA or Russia or China. Does someone buying a contract in California get surcharged when they spend 3 months in New York?
Page 1
    • boatman
    • By boatman 9th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    boatman
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2017/05/revealed-eu-ban-on-mobile-roaming-charges-wont-stop-firms-charging-some-extra-fees-for-data
    More info here...
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    What they are doing is allowed in the regulations, other networks have similar restrictions, from memory O2 mention 90 days.

The restriction is to avoid someone taking a contract in the country with the cheapest deal and using it exclusively in another country.

The other oddity is that if you call Spain from the UK it will cost around 46p per min on Three, pop across to Holland and make the same call, it will come out of your included minutes and cost nothing extra.

It's not completely fair, but it's far better than it used to be.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    agarnett
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    I think article is way behind the curve of the latest shenanigans.

I've been notified today that in respect of data for example, I could be surcharged a maximum of £0.73p/MB in a Feel-At-Home country. That by my calculations is £730/GB.

What they are doing is allowed in the regulations....

It's not completely fair, but it's far better than it used to be.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Really? £730/GB fair? On what planet?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 3,136 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    The also seem to be reducing the amount of data available to a 12gb "fair use" my contract specifically states 30gb roaming included
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    The also seem to be reducing the amount of data available to a 12gb "fair use" my contract specifically states 30gb roaming included
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Three state on their current feel at home page:
    If you have all-you-can-eat data you can use up to 12GB. If you have all-you-can-eat texts you can send up to 5,000 texts. If you have 3,000 or more minutes included in your allowance you can use up to 3,000 minutes.
    That suggests to me that 12 GB was the limit.

Those who don't like Three's T&Cs can always switch to another network. I'm neither a fan of Three, nor a hater. I can switch with 30 days notice but don't want to end up with a worse deal...
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 10th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 3,136 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    Three state on their current feel at home page:
    If you have all-you-can-eat data you can use up to 12GB. If you have all-you-can-eat texts you can send up to 5,000 texts. If you have 3,000 or more minutes included in your allowance you can use up to 3,000 minutes.
    That suggests to me that 12 GB was the limit.

Those who don't like Three's T&Cs can always switch to another network. I'm neither a fan of Three, nor a hater. I can switch with 30 days notice but don't want to end up with a worse deal...
    Can't switch while under contract
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 10th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    ... if you call Spain from the UK it will cost around 46p per min on Three ...
    Have you a source for this?

According to Three - https://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/euregulation/payg - they will charge me 3p per minute from 15 June as a PAYG customer.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 31,513 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    Have you a source for this?

According to Three - https://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/euregulation/payg - they will charge me 3p per minute from 15 June as a PAYG customer.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    That link is for calling FROM Spain

This page shows calling from UK (also just 3p!)

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Calling_and_texting_abroad_from_the_UK(4160),varset_username=Mobile:mobileUser&typeSearc h='international0calling*'
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 6,289 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    d123
    3p is PAYG rate, it's 46p per minute for contracts (according to your link).
    Dave
    ====
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 10th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    That link is for calling FROM Spain

This page shows calling from UK (also just 3p!)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Find the right pages and both directions are included.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 10th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    3p is PAYG rate, it's 46p per minute for contracts (according to your link).
    Originally posted by d123
    Eek! Does anybody seriously pay 46p/minute to call Spain?

I think that that page comprises old rates (and clicking on a link on that page does offer Spain calls for 3p using a code). What will be relevant in 5 days' time will be the EU-'enhanced' rates, allowing roaming at UK rates even for contract users.
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 6,289 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    d123
    Eek! Does anybody seriously pay 46p/minute to call Spain?

I think that that page comprises old rates (though clicking on a link on that page does offer Spain calls for 3p using a code). What will be relevant in 5 days' time will be the EU-'enhanced' rates, allowing roaming at UK rates even for contract users.
    Though as I read that page you need a £15.32 monthly add on if you want to be able to use the codes on contract.

One of those times when contract customers are being ripped off when compared to PAYG.
    Dave
    ====
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 10th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    Though as I read that page you need a £15.32 monthly add on if you want to be able to use the codes on contract.

One of those times when contract customers are being ripped off when compared to PAYG.
    That must be until 14 June, surely.

The EU roaming regulations taking effect on 15 June must mean that it will cost the same to call Spain as the UK, otherwise what's the point?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Jun 17, 3:08 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north

The EU roaming regulations taking effect on 15 June must mean that it will cost the same to call Spain as the UK, otherwise what's the point?
    Three's web site is a total mess, I'll sit on the fence and see what transpires on the 15th. Not only do the various pages suggest it's 3p/min to call Spain on PAYG, 46p/min on a contract, but it also says PAYG can tether in the EU and Advanced contract users can't...

The other issue is the UK Digital Economy Bill that was passed into legislation on 28th April. It's supposed to require all networks to include a spending cap to avoid bill shock... Voda and EE take note.
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 6,289 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    d123

The EU Regulations don't cover costs in your home country, these should to be regulated by the national regulatory body (if it decides to), so call costs in/from the UK are whatever the networks want them to be.
    Dave
    ====
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 11th Jun 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    The EU Regulations don't cover costs in your home country, these should to be regulated by the national regulatory body (if it decides to), so call costs in/from the UK are whatever the networks want them to be.
    I'm not sure what your point is.

If my rate UK>UK is x pence, so should UK>Spain and Spain>UK also be x pence from 15 June. At least that's my understanding from press reports and Three's dedicated webpages:
    - https://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/euregulation/payg - PAYG
    - http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/Advanced_Plan_price_guide_010617.pdf - esp pp 17-21, contract.

Spain is a Feel At Home territory so UK rates should apply UK>Spain and Spain>UK from 15 June, subject to any limiting volumes.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north

If my rate UK>UK is x pence, so should UK>Spain and Spain>UK also be x pence from 15 June. At least that's my understanding from press reports and Three's dedicated webpages:
    - http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/Advanced_Plan_price_guide_010617.pdf - esp pp 17-21, contract.

Spain is a Feel At Home territory so UK rates should apply UK>Spain and Spain>UK from 15 June, subject to any limiting volumes.
    The clue is the word "roaming". When in the UK you are not covered by the regulations.

Hopefully Three (and other networks) will rewrite their web pages in plain language that doesn't cause ambiguity.

FWIW, 3p per min to Spain is still more expensive than I want to pay. We phone friends there several times a week, either on Skype or to their UK mobile that costs them nothing to receive the call and comes out of our huge bundle of included minutes. With a little planning keeping in touch can be very cheap.
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 6,289 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    d123
    As it's a pretty simple one, I'm not sure what else to say. You do understand you aren't roaming when at home?

Try and understand the underlying issue, the EU Regulations deal with roaming, they do not regulate on call costs in your home country.

There is no restriction on what the network charges for calls made in the U.K. to any destination.
    Dave
    ====
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 12th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Roger1
    The clue is the word "roaming". When in the UK you are not covered by the regulations.
    Er, yes. Who said anything different?
    FWIW, 3p per min to Spain is still more expensive than i want to pay ...
    Me, too. We make lots of 'free' calls to Switzerland and elsewhere, but that's a different discussion.
    As it's a pretty simple one, I'm not sure what else to say. You do understand you aren't roaming when at home?
    Er, yes. Who said otherwise?
    Try and understand the underlying issue ...
    Try not to appear condescending.
    ... the EU Regulations deal with roaming, they do not regulate on call costs in your home country.
    Who said otherwise?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter